Hot Hatch

Day 1: 147 GTA

As I drove around Richmond Bridge Road, I began to remember there is an Alfa Romeo dealer down at Church St. Knowing how good the 147 Salespeed is, I decided to go and visit the showroom for a quick look and perhaps test drive it in manual form. After a brief chat to the Salesman, he offered me the 147 GTA. Even offered me great price for one. Nonetheless, I went to see the car, and its just sensational. The engine is an art, the interior is like going into Versace or Gucci or whatever top class fashion boutique there is. The seat, the driving position, pedals placement - fantastic.

Did I drive it? Nope, not this one. Because I am aware of its animalism that can quickly turn apple to pear in the hands of novice like myself. I dont' want to kill what is not my car. So I let the Salesman show me what this animal can do. With massive 300nm of tourqe at easy 4600rpm, this car slingshot to horizon in an instant. It feels good when it corners, but iI know it wasn't pushed that hard. Nice and steady. Revs Won't stop till 7000rpm redline, and it will do it again and again. Utterly insane, I swear it feels like its got turbo. However, this particular Monza edition that was offered to me is running 6 Spd Salespeed - and it gave up. Its just went dead after high rev shifting. This car is only 5000km too. What happened here? Well, thats the price you pay if you ever decide to buy an Alfa. Just as thrilling it is to drive, is equally nervous to own one I supposed.

So, waiting for other salesman to pick us up, I went to check out other featurs in the car. Big brakes. Superb tyres. Muscle sculpture body styling. Aggressive stance. Despite the fact I know Alfa Romeo have reliability issues, somehow I just cannot get over the need (not want) of owning one. Its everything I want in 147 T-Spark 2.0, the one that I drove over in Singapore (Shao's car), but with injected steroids and over the top styling both inside and outside. This car shows me Passions and it is the real Beauty and the Beast.

Edited by Danz

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey mate,

let me know after the 1st drive when you park it at the shopping centre and u arm the alarm and when u come back u find the windows down and the engine started ..... typical euro trash electrical setup ....

my feedback on alfa .....

Day 2: Golf GTi

After the thrill of Alfa GTA, I am going to compare it to what they say as the 'King of all rounder' hot hatch. Golf GTi. It set the benchmark but only recently been taken over by the MPS 3. Its not going to be as brutal as the GTA and I know this car will be very polite. Well, too polite.

I test the manual version, no leather, just basic model. The car is quick, smooth, and have excellent steering responds. You feel the road in this car, and especially when the salesman who was a high speed instructor, showed me what this car can really do. Cornering is very very good. However, I am not excited at all...I asked myself, "why?"

Well lets begin from the interior, I think it feels cheap. I am not joking. Everything else feels very simple and ergonomic. While its nice but its just boring. Seat is nice though. Pedal positioning is so cramped. Typicall german car, the gas pedal is not hanged, but its more of, well on the floor. You see, this makes it feel weird for me to heel and toe, and not only that - the gas pedal is so close to the kick panel. The salesman uses side-stepping to rev match, he is a great driver. But I know why he do that, because its just hard to heel and toe in this car. I made myself looks like a try hard trying to rev match.

You see, the engine is very smooth. 1500rpm u get tourqe, and shoot up to 5000rpm for max tourqe, and power maxes at 5100rpm. So what you get is all rev range power, progessive and predictable. You gun it, it goes like butter. Quick, smooth, and well, it feels lifeless.I nearly yawn. Its just so refine. Shifting gear is also very light, and I don't have any feel of involvement with the car. Is it my TRD shifter that made me feel this way? I don't know, but I know the shifting in GTi is butter smooth and precise. Clutch is light, kinda deep but easy to use. Brake and gas is well balanced.

As I return the key, I walk in to the showroom thinking, why am I not excited? Why is it that for such a good car like GTi, I don't even want to buy one? I can only came up with a simple answer - it's too plain. Its a car for grown up, and its a car that allows you to enjoy comfortability with easy to use power that can let u take the pace at any revs. By all mean this is a good car, but perhaps too lifeless.

Edited by Danz

Well, I can't let u know about the alarm as I do not own one. Again, I know reliability is not so good in an Alfa, hence u read what I said. Here, I just like to share my review on hot hatches I can get my hands on test driving them.

My example regarding the alarm was a general statement made about Alfa's inability to get the electronics in their cars correct .... i have heard/seen/experienced to many horror stories about have to have huge chunks of the car re-wired due to the inability to diagnose the problem .....

Have also read that this has been an issue with peugot & renault hence steering clear of these cars.

Shao's car seems to be fine.

However, I understand Alfa have bad reputations. Such as that broken Salespeed on demonstration.

Keep in mind, not all car are perfect. Sportivo too came with major flaw and if it wasn't for our fellow member Adrian - perhaps none of yous tivo owenrs ever gonna get that fault fix.

if it wasn't for our fellow member Adrian - perhaps none of you stivo owners never gonna get that fault fix.

Might need to look back @ the history of the forum mate as i do believe Adrian wasnt exactly the only person who fought the fight with toyota representing this forum ..... although im not going to take anything away from him as he probably did everything he can .... as did i i.e. traveling OS, speaking to the engineering dept overseas, speaking to the guys who set the adr rules in the government .... being the 1st trail for the ecu recall and shift cables recall .... getting action for other member .... :toast::toast::toast::toast:

Back on topic ..... i'm really keen to see what toyota and honda have brewing as they are keeping very very quiet at the moment in the hot hatch scene and the japs arent the type that like to be beaten to the punch .....

You know I realised I kept repeating GTi is smooth and quick. Haha, I was so sleepy when I typed that last night, cannot think of another way to described how I feel about the GTi - But thats how the car really is.

Edited by Danz

if it wasn't for our fellow member Adrian - perhaps none of you stivo owners never gonna get that fault fix.

Might need to look back @ the history of the forum mate as i do believe Adrian wasnt exactly the only person who fought the fight with toyota representing this forum ..... although im not going to take anything away from him as he probably did everything he can .... as did i i.e. traveling OS, speaking to the engineering dept overseas, speaking to the guys who set the adr rules in the government .... being the 1st trail for the ecu recall and shift cables recall .... getting action for other member .... :toast::toast::toast::toast:

Back on topic ..... i'm really keen to see what toyota and honda have brewing as they are keeping very very quiet at the moment in the hot hatch scene and the japs arent the type that like to be beaten to the punch .....

Blow it eout your awwwwrse bul. Feck off. :lol:

I agree also. Very keen to see what happens. Given that Honda are N/A nuts and everything else is going the way of forced induction. Will be very interesting. You raised a good point last night Bill.

Danz, come on, the boy racer still lives inside you. Buy the celica and mod it up!

hahaha, well that all depends on time and situations my friend.

I am not saying I am definitely buying one of these hatches, but its possible. Again, I just like to review the current trend of hot hatches.

Today I will go and try get my hands on MPS 3, which supposed to be an animal also. Packs more tourqe and power than the GTA. However, this review is not based on power alone. It will include interior, exterior and comfort.

I forgot to mentioned, both Alfa and VW reccomend service every 20,000km intervals. However, I won't count on that as European car is pretty sensitive, so I suggest 5000km oil change and dealer service at 10,000km. Especially, both VW and Alfa drinks oil.

Think I'll add to the hot hatch with my test drive contributions:

Polo Gti:

I jumped into one of these a couple of months back and when i fist got in the impression was similar to danz, "is this it?" the plastic were on par with the corolla i had at the time, with perhpas slighlt better ergonomics, but it didn't feel like i would get what i paid for.

on start up the 1.8T in this car is smooth, well behaved and linear in power delivery but runs out of steam in the higher 5xxx rev range.

the shifting was good but the throws seemed a bit long. The feeling is like driving one of those old school Starlet turbos, torque in a small car, it started pouring hard in the middle of the test drive so there was little to test in conrer except to say that road holding in the wet is decent.

the pedal setup in all VWs I have driven so far does not allow my style of driving to heel toe very well (or at all) so the best that you can settle for is side stepping.

In stock form the Polo GTI is quick and smooth, the light weight of the car really covers most high rev limits of the 1.8T well.

However, these days a simple 1800 ecu flash will turn your mild mannered hatch into an angry angry little car. Jumping it from 110kw to about 140 - 150 kw depending on the chip tune.

and if you need even more power, a 5-6k job with a brand new k04 bolt on and the appropriate chip tune brings you even higher with over 300 NM of glorious torque.

but in my opinion the breaks will not be sufficient for the latter option and you start the big bucks in modding.

Soon to come. Mazda 3 MPS. zoom zoom.

can i ask what happened with the stivos you mentioned?what was wrong withthem and what is heel and toe for

They're mostly little fiddly bits that are ironed out now. The major issue being the ecu recall on some 03 and 04 models, but it's dependant on the date. Ask Bill at the meet this weekend man and he'll enlighten you on that.

Other problems that I had ironed out were:

*Gear selector cables (that annoying buzzing noise that grows with revs)

*Clutch adjustment (I don't crunch gears anymore...amazing lol. It allows the clutch to compress harder.)

*Front Rotors (well, this wasn't exactly ironed out but I found the cause of it. I thought it was a warped rotor on mine but it turns out dirt and rocks etc can get caught in there, remember that if you hear grinding noises ;))

Fair enough it's a bit of a rattle trap inside sometimes, but I've sat in worse cars lol.

honda has a hot hatch, the civic type r, its just not coming to oz...again...

Day 3: MPS3

With enough time left during the day, I managed to go to Mazda dealer and spotted a black MPS3. Yesterday GTi test drive made me expect something unique from MPS 3. Its got the best specifications, its the latest out of the bunch of hot-hatches and it is good looking. A quick talk with the salesman quickly led to "do you want to drive it?". With pleasure.

As he went to grab the key, I scan around the interior, exterior and engine bay. This particular demo car is equipped with every option there is, I believe its called the Sports Pack. Interior material quality seems to be better than VW, and the seat is good also. Then I went to try the pedals. The clutch and gas pedal are nice and light, but the brake is surprsingly very short on pressing distance. You just tap it, and its like max? Wow. Shift the gear, hey pretty good, more feel in this one than the GTi.

The salesman then came with the key, and I am eager to try this car. Fire it up, zooooom...haha it does kinda sound like that, very quiet. Luckily enough, the street was not that busy, but I am not about to lose my licence here. The road is clear, and I can sprint this car to speed limit with low gear to feel how rapid is that 380nm. Oh boy it pulls, and all that power is best experienced above 3000rpm to 6000rpm. Different to the Golf where you have that pull right at 1500rpm to 5000rpm. The thing is, all that power is delivered nicely that you don't sense what speed you're at. All of a sudden I'm on 80km/h already in 60km/h zone, and this is me driving normally. I may need some of those speed warning in this car.

So we all know this car is faster than the Golf, and we know its stacks lots of tourqe but what about cornering? The steering is meaty, and you feel the LSD working to keep you in control. I do not think Mazda MPS3 is as nice in terms of dynamic compared to the Golf. In the Golf you get feedback and in Mazda you don't quite get that feel. Thankfully its all neat and sorted, because somehow the MPS can work with you without telling you what its thinking. Yes there is tourqe steer, but its expected and its not bad at all and you will have that confident to go and take the corner. I ain't a racer and nor do I push this car to its max on backstreet, but thats what I get today from the MPS3.

Day to day drive this car is good, but not as good as the GTi I think because the Gti gives u that pull right from 1500rpm. It looks calm, with a hint of boy racer in it. Spacious and comfortable - although suspension is on the firm side it won't break you jaw. So, would I want one? Well, this car is more exciting than the Golf for me. Interior is better than Golf except the seat is better on Golf. For $40k car, this is the car I'll buy and thats because you get so much more in this car than the GTi. Its like GTi x 2 = 3MPS. Splendid.