Hot Hatch

Here's what stun me with the Alfa. Its got 300nm at 4600rpm and 187kw at 6400rpm - this figure is on top of my head, but its about accurate. You compare this with MPS, 380nm at 3000rpm and 190kw power at 5000rpm. Yet, the Alfa is more ferocous. I remember we just took a corner, then the salesman slam the pedal and the alfa just screams and push you back onto your seats violently. The mazda however, with all that power and tourqe, just does it nicely, and somewhat softer than the alfa. Simply, this is because I think the 3.2 V6 Alfa is much much more responsive. Shao explained to me, that this V6 actually have twin spark system also, which makes it clear why the engine behave like that.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice reviews Dan ;) Since i own an MPS i have to say u need to drive the thing on the freeway to really FEEL FAST, i got scared sh!tless by ***** Johnson at Oran Park and even i am afraid of pushing this thing. No joke. It's brutal from 3rd gear onwards, 1st and 2nd gear boost is limited. Also the real joy of driving the MPS is during overtaking, the in-gear acceleration is phenomenal due to 380nm of torque and its very close gear ratios. It also has 2 final drives one for 1st-4th gear and another for 5th and 6th gear cruising.

I also want to add to what you said about cars being more and more refined and i agree, the MPS is extremely stable and comfortable at high speeds it has a grand touring feel. Not even the Accord Euro feels like that at high speeds although i think the Accord Euro is the pick of the bunch for me in the mid $30k cars, no doubt thats why there are so mnay of them on the road. The best way to describe the MPS is cruising at 160km/h feels like only 100km/h, you simply cannot feel the speed its doing. I am not sure what the GTI or Alfa is like on the freeway but i guess it will feel similar. The MPS and i am sure the Golf and Alfa as well has a great deal of engineering thrown at it to improve aerodynamics and front end stability. The overall weight of the car also makes it more stable i suppose and i think the extremely heavy bonnet is there for a reason but unfortunately also adds understeer.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

You're going to follow the Master, Danz? You always wanted an Alfa remember. Follow your heart man.

PS: You might like to know Zee that the Mazdaspeed 3 (MPS3) is in the next Need for Speed game, "Need for Speed: Carbon".

Damn you lol.

Yeah the MPS 3 is fast, but I don't know exactly how to explain it after I sat on the GTA. I can only say after I drive the 147 over in Singapore, which is 2.0L, its gives me that smile and excitement due to its lovely interior, great seating position, and the mechanical sound the engine made its just pleasure to the ear. Its just so involving and rich in character. The GTA gives me exactly that, but with way more power and much much more character. I don't wanted to be biased, but the MPS 3 don't give me that excitement :( Like how you confirmed that you don't feel the speed - that's the thing I don't like about it, I cannot sense it and it doesn't let me feel to be involved. I am sure you understand this feeling of mine, especially coming from high-rev 2zz-ge. Even 1zz-fe made me smile because above 3000rpm you can hear the engine, even better with proper Intake and Exhaust. However, there's one thing that Japanese engine cannot do no matter what you do to it.

When the Alfa revs, its a melody to me. Its like orchestra and well staged one too, so that as you climb through the rev range - its singing. That's why I said that 3.2 V6 is an art. You can make an engine sound louder, but you cannot make the engine sounded like an Alfa engine (Or perhaps, Italian sports engine). Tempramental, and request upmost attention towards caring it - which requires great deal of passions. Its like taking care of your love one.

The interior is just so sporty yet so comfortable. Each detail inside tells me the designer is pouring his/her heart into making it to ensure you the driver feel at home. I remember when I enter Shao's 147 and I was so inspired by the design, and its gets better as you sit behind the wheel.

The GTA exterior is so sexy, yet so aggressive. It truly portrayed the image of the character under the bonnet, with beautiful curves and lines that is simply hard not to adore. Its like one of those beautiful woman with sharp look which encourages you to...well you get the drill.

Man I don't know how I came up with this thought, but its how I feel about the Alfa. At this stage, I guess my Corolla although is 1zz-fe feels just right because I made it to be exactly like how I wanted to be. Its exactly how I wanted it to be, because I pour so much passion on it and it made me understand what I wanted from a car. Sure I can start again from zero with any other car, but the Alfa is exactly how I wanted it and its right out of the box and its got something I cannot get from any other car in its segment. Looks like Hamster finds its future replacement, and only time will tell from now on.

Edited by Danz

I'm not really suprised at your decision man ;)

I understand where you're coming from in regards to comparing it to a woman.

I just upgraded from my ex (Datsun 180b) to a new girl (McLaren Mercedes) :lol: hopefully all works out.

Hopefully all works out with the alfa man. Who's to say that you can't mod up the alfa anyway? ;)

That's right. Its just my personal view about car these days. But that view about car is like woman, its there in my blood since I can't remember when. Must have passionate feeling, and perhaps something that no one could ever understand which made it truly special.

Here's another fast facts about the alfa compared to MPS3.

Alfa does 0-100km/h in just 6.2 seconds, but Jeremy from Top Gear said 6 flat with ability to go quicker again if you can made use of the power.

The Mazda 0-100km/h in 7.3 seconds, which is also astoinishing. Maybe 3rd gear onwards the mazda is faster, since you can do 0-100 on 2nd gear.

Thanks mate.

I forgot to mentioned, I did test the MPS 3 on freeway. I did use 3rd gear on free way, but only momentarily because I don't wanted to lose my licence as this MPS 3 can build speed without you noticing it. Now that Zee explained how tourqe is limited from 1st - 2nd, I can understand why at that time I felt the car is laggy below 3000rpm, and I didn't notice that 85 percent of tourqe at just 2000rpm. I always sprint 1st to 2nd gear to reach 100km/h. So you need to reach 3rd gear to get the best out of this engine eh?

Thanks mate.

I forgot to mentioned, I did test the MPS 3 on freeway. I did use 3rd gear on free way, but only momentarily because I don't wanted to lose my licence as this MPS 3 can build speed without you noticing it. Now that Zee explained how tourqe is limited from 1st - 2nd, I can understand why at that time I felt the car is laggy below 3000rpm, and I didn't notice that 85 percent of tourqe at just 2000rpm. I always sprint 1st to 2nd gear to reach 100km/h. So you need to reach 3rd gear to get the best out of this engine eh?

yup, pretty much Danz. The torque definitely comes on strong after 2500rpm, but you can still drive around easily at 2000rpm though, just not the full on rush at 3000rpm. You also need 3rd gear to reach 100km/h, 2nd gear tops out at 90km/h for me, but to be fast you shift at no later than 6000rpm. 0-100km/h for the MPS3 is 6.1s quoted by Mazda and local mags like MOTOR and WHEELS both got 6.6s.

When i said the MPS really needs 3rd gear on to explore its true potential is partly due to boost limitation in 1st and 2nd gear, also it is not a car you need to go flat out to experience its strength. In gear acceleration done in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear on the freeway from 3000rpm on is a demonstration of the MPS's real world performance. I am sure the GTI and GTA are both very strong in these areas. I have done my own in gear acceleration testing not that it is 100% accurate but pretty close to what Madza quoted for 80-120km/h in 3rd gear takes 3.5s, i got 3.3s. 4th gear takes 4.1s, i got 3.9s. I am pretty confident i can repeat it bcus i did it 3 times and got very very close times. But i think you get my point.

Also to Les, the 160km/h description was to describe the stability and overall engineering thrown at the MPS to make it so stable and comfortable, it was not to brag about how quick it is. It wll happily get to 230-240km/h mind you and still feel extremely stable. Again it is to point out the engineering and aerodynamic efficiency. Mazda did not just plonk a powerful engine into the Mazda 3 shell. I do agree the Alfa will pull more chicks though :P :lol:

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Yeah the mazda is stable, very stable. Oh I love the bonnet design, how smart is that eh? No need for bonnet scoop matey.

A funny moment when i went to mazda is the salesman. I ended up being the salesman because I ended up telling him the specs. And when we return, he ask me, "sure you can't do anything today?" with both of his hand rubbing each other.

Yeah the mazda is stable, very stable. Oh I love the bonnet design, how smart is that eh? No need for bonnet scoop matey.

A funny moment when i went to mazda is the salesman. I ended up being the salesman because I ended up telling him the specs. And when we return, he ask me, "sure you can't do anything today?" with both of his hand rubbing each other.

hehe yeah they are keen to sell these buggers and agree they know nuts abt the cars.. they are only there to facilitate the sale, the cars pretty much sells themselves, and best to do our own research. <_<

Also to Les, the 160km/h description was to describe the stability and overall engineering thrown at the MPS to make it so stable and comfortable, it was not to brag about how quick it is. It wll happily get to 230-240km/h mind you and still feel extremely stable....

Ohhh, you were definitely bragging, but I like it! As you said, a car that goes 150km/h + and does not feel it has definitely been engineered well.

I believe that shao doesn't have his anymore and has gone back to something Toyota????

Never had a thing for euro cars apart from old VW's. Built from real steel. And will be around for another hundred years.

What did you think of the gearshift in the MPS3?? I thought it was too long and felt like the shift from a family orientated car.

Alfa is not very reliable. Its very tempramental. I never had one, but I can understand why. However, seems like the quality is not like 20 years ago. Shao still have his Alfa. It's around 100,000km now, and 2 months ago I thought it was not high km already since I did not hear any rattles or squeaks. At that time, I thought it was like 40,000km. So I don't think its all that bad. I just have to set aside some funds for maintenance. But its okay, because I just need Koni and Eibach with rear sway bar for modifications, rest of money is for service throughout its life. Shao understand this car more than I do, so its worth hearing his advice :)

MPS3 gear throw is fine. GTi is quite long. But after using TRD quickshifter, everything else feels soft. I must say though, its nicer to have something rougher like the TRD unit, feels more confident somewhat.

I can only say I don't feel like changing car unless its a GTA :) Its affordable 2nd hand due to the high depreciation of the car, and this is the last of the true GTA Alfa Romeo engine V6, as the newere 3.2 is using GM Block, found on Holden. And no more chrome manifold. GT is still using the same 3.2 V6 found in GTA, but slight detuned. What I got to do is work out maintenance budget and find out the car's history along with the owner's personality towards the car. I cannot comment about when can I get one, don't want to give false promise.

I am glad you all enjoy the brief review, although I cannot say it's 100 percent true to what I said about each car, but its as close as possible as I can talk about it. Sorry if I'm a bit biased towards Alfa, but can't help the loving feeling. Every single car I reviewed are great cars - just a matter which you prefer.

Edited by Danz

Most I saw are always clean.

Just like any other car, its owner are not necessarily an enthutiast. They just like to drive it but have little about maintaining it (washing is maintaining). Sadly, You just dont' do that when you buy Alfa. Those GTAs are better in the hand like mine!

Most I saw are always clean.

Just like any other car, its owner are not necessarily an enthutiast. They just like to drive it but have little about maintaining it (washing is maintaining). Sadly, You just dont' do that when you buy Alfa. Those GTAs are better in the hand like mine!

i agree, gta is hot as hot hot(i think is the best looking hatch), their owners have money to buy them but do not really LOVE them...shame, those cars deserves a good owner

Edited by sportiyo

dude i wanna send this in as a resume to wheels magazine this is better than every issue they've ever released

The main reason it is better is because Danz's review didn't have 20 pages about the new Commodore :lol:

Should try the Astra SRi, Sport Clio and Golf R32 for comparison. Make it a mega-comparo!