Wheels, lowering and 17" vs 18"

tayf

Should I get my car lowered before I get my wheels or afterwards? I was thinking of putting it into the shop tomorrow to get some super low's.

Also could everyone who is running 18's comfortably post their springs/amount lowered and tyres? I've tried searching this forum for the term '18' but it says it's too short B)

SO FAR:

====================

225/35/18 - SUPER LOWS - No problem (BigBum)

215/35/18 - SUPER LOWS - No problem (gOODbOYz)

215/35/18 - SUPER LOWS - No problem including fully loaded moving house (daniel)

225/35/R18 - Whiteline Control Springs - No rubbing, bigger turning circle (VVTLiR)

Edited by tayf

225/35/18 tyres lowered on superlows. Haven't had a problem :)

I'd lower it first to see how much space you have available for your wheels. If you put your wheels on first, its more hard to determine what kinda drop you will want and need (especially lowering on springs alone).

when i had springs it was 50mm drop superlows.. running 215/35/18

wheels still had 2-3 inches off the guard

plenty of room.

serious? what if you had a full load ?

NO PROBLEMS at all .. it'll just look like its a 80mm drop with a full car load :clap:

215/35/18's on superlows. Got them done at same time. Never scrubbed, bottomed out or anything. No guard modification. Have moved houses and had it fully loaded with the back guard over the tyre and no scrubbage.

Just be super careful of gutters! THEY BITE HARD! (lucky I havent encountered this yet)

What brand tyre are you guys using? I'm currently talking with a guy to get a set of 18's with tyres but he says he can't find anything that matches the load rating for the car.

18's are purely for looks. 17's are for performance/looks.

Toyo and Falken have been the tyres I've seen on 18's for our cars. Toyo's being my preference.

I'm going 215/40/R17 Yokohama A.drives when I have the 17's on.

For me I'm putting the wheels on before I consider lowering. The wheels are the main measure point, so without them on before you lower you won't be able to tell how it will sit. I am running coilovers though, so it's more important for me to put the wheels on first then lower due to the fact that i can adjust my ride height and pin point it how i want it.

I'm only looking for looks :D Next car will be about performance.

I'm just trying to get 18's on legally so I'm covered by my insurance. You can get 225's to match the load rating apparently. Might pop out and see some tyre people today.

You will not get 18's on a corolla legally. the biggest you can go on a corolla is 16x6 and on a sportivo 17x7. this is the rule here in Qld and am not 100% sure of what the rules are in other states. But basically it is 1 inch bigger in diameter and 1 inch bigger in width. Unless you go with an insurance company that insures modified vehicles most of the major insurers will close the door on you pretty quick.

You will not get 18's on a corolla legally. the biggest you can go on a corolla is 16x6 and on a sportivo 17x7. this is the rule here in Qld and am not 100% sure of what the rules are in other states. But basically it is 1 inch bigger in diameter and 1 inch bigger in width. Unless you go with an insurance company that insures modified vehicles most of the major insurers will close the door on you pretty quick.

18s are legal in QLD. Go and get the modifications guidelines from the registry. It states that overall tyre size can not be made larger by more than 15mm. There is 12mm difference between 215/35/18 and standard tyes. This throws the speedo out by less than 2 kms at 100km/h. It is perfectly legal to have these in QLD. The one inch rule applies to NSW. Also not to forget that modifications are only guidelines. An engineer can approve 20s on a corrolla if all the right steps are taken - ie: enough clearance, bigger brakes to compensate for longer stopping distances, etc. Just like engine swaps - not legal except with engineers report.

I can get the exact wording of mods from the book if you like? I keep it in my centre consule as ammunition in case I get pulled over in NSW and stuff.

I've checked the qld mods book and everything is legal besides the load rating of any available 215/35/18 tyres. My insurer (Justcar) say any modifications are fine as long as they are road legal.

I've checked the qld mods book and everything is legal besides the load rating of any available 215/35/18 tyres. My insurer (Justcar) say any modifications are fine as long as they are road legal.

Vic roads have one inch rule for wdth and not more than 20mm increse in rolloing diameter as well as width of tyre from stock if i read section 8 and 34 correctly.

so 215 is max width on sportivo legally, 17 or 18 inch tyres and max rim width is 7 inch wide.

Just make sure they meet load ratings too (tyres that is)

Most states go by one inch or 25mm, unfortunately one inch is usually just over of 25mm (25.4mm)