Ported Manifold

Hey guys and gals,

Been searching for ways to get more power and I've decided to port the stock exhaust manifold. Essentially, from what I've read on the celica boards, the DC sports header makes little power over stock, and not much details on the TRD. Weapon R just made a street header but they have their race header which has been dyno proven to not be as strong up top as it should be.

Never the less, My manifold is OFF and being ported as we speak. I also DE-CATTED about 2 months ago, so I am looking for about 4-5 whp [hopefully] with the mods.

Good news for you ppls who want to go Full Power FC. I'm super close to completing the ECU pinout for my 2002 runx. Not sure how close it is to you guys in Aussie as I've got a JDM runx, but I will make the pinout available for all those who want it to follow the same suit.

Details and pics to come. The manifold should be done by friday, installed saturday morning, and "tested" that same night.

Unfortunately dyno time here is TERRIBLY expensive but I shall splerge and get some numbers once everything is done. Stay tuned!!! [no pun intended hehe :P ]

post-1543-1162827282_thumb.jpg post-1543-1162827328_thumb.jpg post-1543-1162827355_thumb.jpg post-1543-1162827490_thumb.jpg

Edited by highlift

:clap:

specs and pics of mod please.

is the same work that I want to make.

A question: which head gasket do you install? Stock or another?

bye

lol, your english is funny sometimes. I'm gonna put back the stock gasket. there is a hondata one for the intake manifold that only cost about 70USD. Gonna order that at month end. but I'm jsut putting back the stock gasket

Remember I have a 2ZZ, from what you posted earlier I think u have a 3ZZ-FE??? not sure what your manifold looks like.

lol, your english is funny sometimes.

why? :P

I'm gonna put back the stock gasket. there is a hondata one for the intake manifold that only cost about 70USD. Gonna order that at month end. but I'm jsut putting back the stock gasket

Remember I have a 2ZZ, from what you posted earlier I think u have a 3ZZ-FE??? not sure what your manifold looks like.

yes I've the 3zzfe, european E12 corolla 1.6L 110hp.

Is the stock gasket enough resistant?

lol, your english is funny sometimes.

why? :P

I'm gonna put back the stock gasket. there is a hondata one for the intake manifold that only cost about 70USD. Gonna order that at month end. but I'm jsut putting back the stock gasket

yes I've the 3zzfe, european E12 corolla 1.6L 110hp.

Is the stock gasket enough resistant?

yeah should be alright i reckon. you've got alot of work to do if you wanna get power from that engine. a 1.6L with only 110hp isnt even near the 1.6L 4AGEs. But, =) Its your car, make it fun, intake, exhaust and rims with a nice stereo, keep it clean, and your good to go.

Good news for you ppls who want to go Full Power FC. I'm super close to completing the ECU pinout for my 2002 runx. Not sure how close it is to you guys in Aussie as I've got a JDM runx, but I will make the pinout available for all those who want it to follow the same suit.

Northy has a PFC running at the moment. Not sure if he put the changes to the pinout up anywhere, or he did and I can't remember where. Will still be good to see your results anyway.

CES here in Australia have ported headers for sale which are professionally ported, then HPC coated and deburred for a great finish. About $500 aud from memory. Check the traders section for more information.

You can reuse the stock exhaust gasket if you are carefull when you remove the headers. Great gains to be made in the low to mid range torque as well as throttle response throughout the rev range.

Northy had TRD headers on his 2zz and has swapped to the CES headers and is very impressed with the difference in the performance and also the price.(TRD headers are about $1200aud) He also has a power fc in his car as well as Xoom. Both car have a huge increase in performance and Northy being the guinea pig has sorted all the issues with pinout's etc.

That may be well and good Dave and Bren, but I think Highlift is in New Zealand and has a JDM RunX. The ECUs in these are different to ours so the pin outs are different and Corey's info is useless for the most part.

As far as the headers go, if he has someone local who can do the work for him... good on him, it's not that big a job :)

That may be well and good Dave and Bren, but I think Highlift is in New Zealand and has a JDM RunX. The ECUs in these are different to ours so the pin outs are different and Corey's info is useless for the most part.

As far as the headers go, if he has someone local who can do the work for him... good on him, it's not that big a job :)

I'm actually in Barbados, hehe which is literally on the other side of the world. You guys just beat us in the ICC champions trophy final but thats another issue, hehe.

I think the pinouts for the sportivo would be almost identical except we have no traction control or cruise control.

The issue for me with the header is shipping. Besides the TRD being terribly expensive, CES is an Australia company. A header does have "considerable" weight, and opportunity cost jsut doesnt dictate getting one.

I will dyno once i get it fitted and stuff and we'll see how well it does.

Ok, porting is done!!! The entry ways have been "smoothed" down and matched to the gasket to help air flow, and the collector cleaned up abit. This goes on saturday with full testing done satdurday night. look out for videos soon :yahoo: ;)

post-1543-1163053619_thumb.jpg

Id have thought the pinouts would be similar too...

How does the humidity affect your dynos over there....

I've no idea to be honest. It isnt terribly humid, but we only have one dyno on the island and its always been problamatic so I really cant respond. I'll see what happens when i call to dyno next week.

I'm actually in Barbados, hehe which is literally on the other side of the world. You guys just beat us in the ICC champions trophy final but thats another issue, hehe.

"You guys just beat us" you say....more like a flogging :P

nice work there tho mate.

"You guys just beat us" you say....more like a flogging :P

nice work there tho mate.

Flogging can be used, but you know how we are. The West Indies are wierd at times. Too bad it was so dismal in the end.

Install of the header is tomorrow morning, and full testing satdy night. hehe, look out for vids...

you use a diegrinder to shape the manifold to match to exhaust port profile exactly. Basically reduces the turbulence of the exhaust flow.

You usually port the exhaust ports too in order to remove casting imperfections in the head, then take a template of the head ports and transpose that onto your header so they're matched perfectly. Any off-the-shelf items will not have a perfect match to an engine as the tolerences of the exhaust ports from factory aren't small, and each engine will vary slightly from each other in it's port size/finish unless a lot of attention is taken in the head prep from factory, eg factory porting/casting flash removal on some high end motors.