I Hate Just Cars Insurance

VVTLiR

I was quoted $2100 with Shannons, $1780 with GIO and $1630 with Just Cars.... I really should have gone with GIO... :(

mate give them a call and confirm this.

as like i said i rang them and there was no "vehicle excess" on my policy because it was a sportivo ..... its just a phone call away .....

I did the same.

Once again guys it varies from person to person in my belief. Shannons were complete nobs to me and told me they wouldn't insure me because the Sportivo wasn't an 'enthusiast' car...wtf???

I just did 3 quotes and varied factors online (Age, location gender, mods). All had $900 vehicle excess. Then I did one quote and it was only a $500 vehicle excess

Edited by VVTLiR

this topic is basically useless unless everyone is posting there age, gender, driving record, location, mods on the policy, where the car is kept etc...

you guys bag NRMA alot, i have full comp insurance with them with all my mods listed and agreed value for $880 a year with std $500 excess and $400 for under 25's thats with hire car, windscreen and NCB protection..

there are so many things that are going to effect this, i got a quote from shannons they wanted $1600 agreed value was less then NRMA and without all the optional cover...and they couldn't understand why i didn't want the policy.....

I think, depending on the type of car and age, record etc...different companies are better for different people.

I'm 22, car's around sydney southwest street parked (not a good area really). First time buying insurance...driving for almost 3 years, no accidents/claim. Car's a 97 manual FTO GPX, just cars comprehensive $3375. Lol, if i went with NRMA i'd be looking at over $8000 (no i'm not kidding). NRMA really don't like FTOs for some reason lol.

Rolla's insured under mum's name with GIO, for a bit over $900 (ae101 liftback).

this topic is basically useless unless everyone is posting there age, gender, driving record, location, mods on the policy, where the car is kept etc...

you guys bag NRMA alot, i have full comp insurance with them with all my mods listed and agreed value for $880 a year with std $500 excess and $400 for under 25's thats with hire car, windscreen and NCB protection..

there are so many things that are going to effect this, i got a quote from shannons they wanted $1600 agreed value was less then NRMA and without all the optional cover...and they couldn't understand why i didn't want the policy.....

We were in the same boat when it came to the NRMA corey. I haven't had a single point lost or driving infringement for 4 years though not too sure about you :P haha

The reason I hate the NRMA is their stupidity in their admin. I was uninsured when I thought I was. A-holes. There's also the fact that their ride height limit is 30mm (you're lower than that aren't you corey?) otherwise you're voided. I think that's stupid as well.

So I guess I have valid reasons for bagging the NRMA. They have my father as a member for 30 years and they STILL treated me like sh!t. Screw them lol.

We were in the same boat when it came to the NRMA corey. I haven't had a single point lost or driving infringement for 4 years though not too sure about you :P haha

The reason I hate the NRMA is their stupidity in their admin. I was uninsured when I thought I was. A-holes. There's also the fact that their ride height limit is 30mm (you're lower than that aren't you corey?) otherwise you're voided. I think that's stupid as well.

So I guess I have valid reasons for bagging the NRMA. They have my father as a member for 30 years and they STILL treated me like sh!t. Screw them lol.

still have 12 points on my licence and havn't had an at fault accidents, i also have my coilovers checked ever 4-5 months to make sure the ride height is just right :)

Had a thought too, the differing opinions of underwriters. However none of their decisions are opinionated I don't think, they are all driven by their guidlines. Or are they?

Theres no real point bagging an insurer, it just means thats not the right cover for you.

In my case yes there is a point.

Rating 1

30 years old

Full points on my licence (all 12 available)

No Speeding or Traffic infringements in the past 4 years

No at fault claims

1 minor not at fault claim

Off street garaged

Under Finance (Bill Of Sale)

Reside 4503

$515 per year premium

$350 excess

$24525 agreed value

Mods: Cat back, Low Kings & 17's (Nothing will change with them when I add CAI either)

My advice is to shop around, or get your parents to insure it for you....

I notice your strut brace is not listed Azza?

Rating 1 (secured)

28 years old

8 points on my licence (ie 4 available)

1 Speeding or Traffic infringement 30-45 over (101 in 60 zone in rural region) in October '04

No at fault claims

No not at fault claims

Off street secure car park

Under Finance (Bill Of Sale)

Reside 2500

$1636 per year premium (Just Cars)

$600 standard excess, $400 modified vehicle excess (not 100% certain, will check and get back to you)

$24500 vehicle value and all modifications replacement costs covered

Mods on Policy: Stainless Steel Cat back Exhaust, Coil overs, Aftermarket rims and tyres, CAI, Strut Brace, Rear Swaybar, Rear Skirt, Front Grill, Eyelids, Tinted Windows, Short Shifter, Toyota Genuine Sport Pedals, Floor Mats.

I need to add my carputer and headunit to the policy now and forgot to add the door sills to I think

just checked out a quote for justcar. these guys are a bunch of tossers:

Excesses

These are the excesses you must contribute to each claim:

Standard $600

Plus Vehicle $900

If applicable, you may also need to pay one or more of the following excesses in addition to the excesses listed above.

Age Excesses

Female Drivers Aged 16 - 21 $650

Female Drivers Aged 22 - 24 $550

Male Drivers Aged 16 - 21 $700

Male Drivers Aged 22 - 24 $600

Accessory Excess (In-Car Sound And Entertainment System) $400

... so basically i have to pay $2600 in excess if i would like to make a claim, which means if any of whole stereo was stolen, i would never get it back, unless the whole car went with it... why would i bother insuring it?

i hate insurance companies altogether. just car used to be the most reasonable insurer, which not so ridiculous prices and unlimited mods... now its getting out of hand... vehicle excess... wtf.. its a corolla ASCENT!

Had a thought too, the differing opinions of underwriters. However none of their decisions are opinionated I don't think, they are all driven by their guidlines. Or are they?

Underwriters arent opinionated, they have a set of rules that they establish based on the risks they are willing to accept. So its not opinions, its what they are willing to offer/cover.

All Australian underwritten companies are regulated by their guidelines. Thats why they are consistent in the cover they offer. Overseas underwriters, thats a different ball game.

Theres no real point bagging an insurer, it just means thats not the right cover for you.

Underwriters are opinionated (I know, I am one :-). They have to operate within guidelines, but theres always a way to bend the rules, someone with higher authority etc. They are just that, guidelines. I can do cheaper quotes without including no claim bonus protection, yet still show it on the system, but not charged. Not supposed to be done, but it happens, because, when a broker is saying 'this customer has $XXXXXX amount of business with us and you won't drop the motor vehicle premium by $200', its a different ball game.

Overseas companies are exactly the same, they have gudielines too. Guidelines are based on how much and the scope of the companys treaty reinsurance. Companys with bigger bottom ends are going to be able to afford greater reinsurance and suffer greater losses. It also depends on the statistics the actuaries use. You've all seen it with your quotes, same ages and vehicles, different prices at different companies.

Here's a hot tip - call an insurance broker. Tell them the cheapest quote you have, they'll go off to their respective underwriters and get quotes, plus they have the ability of negotiation and discounts. They'll try to obtain you the cheapest quote they can, the price they get is the price you get, no charges (unless they nett it, and charge you a fee, which is usually lower than the commission). The worst that can happen is they can't match it, the best thing, you save money!

But! And theres always a but, read your PDS! The benefits that you need should be in the policy. ie. The company I'm insured with doesn't insure items stolen from a vehicle, yet the company I work for insures upto $500 worth, but, I can insure my car for $5000 more with the company I'm with, only $2000 more than its worth with the company I work for. The extra agreed value is worth more to me than the stolen valuables, I've just learnt to be dilligent and not leave expensive stuff in the car and used copied CDs only.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, or PM me. I'm happy to answer them.

Underwriters are opinionated (I know, I am one :-). They have to operate within guidelines, but theres always a way to bend the rules, someone with higher authority etc. They are just that, guidelines. I can do cheaper quotes without including no claim bonus protection, yet still show it on the system, but not charged. Not supposed to be done, but it happens, because, when a broker is saying 'this customer has $XXXXXX amount of business with us and you won't drop the motor vehicle premium by $200', its a different ball game.

Overseas companies are exactly the same, they have gudielines too. Guidelines are based on how much and the scope of the companys treaty reinsurance. Companys with bigger bottom ends are going to be able to afford greater reinsurance and suffer greater losses. It also depends on the statistics the actuaries use. You've all seen it with your quotes, same ages and vehicles, different prices at different companies.

Here's a hot tip - call an insurance broker. Tell them the cheapest quote you have, they'll go off to their respective underwriters and get quotes, plus they have the ability of negotiation and discounts. They'll try to obtain you the cheapest quote they can, the price they get is the price you get, no charges (unless they nett it, and charge you a fee, which is usually lower than the commission). The worst that can happen is they can't match it, the best thing, you save money!

But! And theres always a but, read your PDS! The benefits that you need should be in the policy. ie. The company I'm insured with doesn't insure items stolen from a vehicle, yet the company I work for insures upto $500 worth, but, I can insure my car for $5000 more with the company I'm with, only $2000 more than its worth with the company I work for. The extra agreed value is worth more to me than the stolen valuables, I've just learnt to be dilligent and not leave expensive stuff in the car and used copied CDs only.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me, or PM me. I'm happy to answer them.

Good work Richie... thanks for the advice....

I guess at the end of the day, insurance is like any other product, know what you want, and shop around AND READ THE FINEPRINT (PDS)

i did skip a few posts in this thread, so i apologise if we already got my answer...

but can someone tell me why/how a toyota corolla ascent has a $500 vehicle excess?

if an ascent attracts that sorta rip off, then surely every other car would, and why don't they just call it a "scam excess"?