Engine Start Button - DIY

Rainman

Hi all,

Just after anyone who's done a diy engine start button before on their rolla.

I know off a couple of ppl here who's got one, but had an electrician fit it.

I fitted one on last night. Took me about 45mins to do. And now I find it even more fun driving the rolla.

How it works - Get in the car, turn the key twice, press the button and off you go.... :D

Basically it's hooked up the cigarette lighter for the power source - what I kinda wanna know is that - is there another power source I can tap into that turns on when the key is turned twice. Currently the cigarette lighter turns on when the key is turned only once.

Thanks all.

I know Craig (Danthuyer) did it to his car. Yeah it's ricey, but if your into that, then go for it.

I personally can't see the advantage cause you still have to turn your key, and if your going to turn it from off>acc>on then have to push a button, you may as well just turn the key one more turn, but as I said, if your into that stuff, then go for it.

One thing I was told by my mate who is an Auto Electrician, is that there is a chance that if you know what you are doing, you could re-wire your ignition and have a missile switch fitted to turn the ignition on, so you kinda 'flick' then 'push', however to fully utilise this, you eliminate the key....lossing security...

you can wire everything directly to the ignition barrel loom, if you wanted to do away with the key all together you would need to modify the key barrel to disable the steering lock, and then fit one of the immobiliser keys up under the acrylics next to the sender for the ECU immobiliser, and wire in a 3 position switch for Off, ACC and ON

Yeah I got one.

Neat features and blend well with the silver gear knob surround.

Girls get curious about the little red buttons too.

LOL Danz, I could imagine you now..

Random Chick - Ohh, hey Danz, what does this button do?

Danz - *Mystrerious face behind those sun glasses* I dunno babe, why don't you press it?

Random Chick - *Giggles*

Thanks for all the reply. Been a great help. :clap:

Will see if I can disable the third click of the key and find a power source that only turns on when the key is in the "ON" position and not on the "ACC" position on the weekend.

All for the BLING factor :)

The best thing inside my corolla in my honest opinion are the start button and trd quickshifter.

Makes it fun to enter the car really.

You're not wrong there Danz. :D

It really does make it more fun to start your drive with. :D

Got my Engine Start Button all wired up on the weekend.

Good idea having the source tapped to the hand-brake. This way nothing happens when your passengers presses the button when the car is going... :lol:

Also managed to disable the starter from the key, so now you can't start the car unless you press the start button. Oh yeah, and make sure the hand-brake is up too. :lol: