Paint scratch after my car service

neK

Dropped my car in this morning for an end of warranty inspection, picked it up this afternoon.

Everything was fine they said, no issues whatsoever. So i drive off away happy.

Get home, and decide to put back the things i took out of my boot yesterday.

What do i see, TWO AREAS (about 10mm in length each) of my sedan rear boot spoiler with paint scraped off!!!!

It wasnt there this morning cos I checked out my spoiler this morning when i was emptying out my boot (just before i dropped my car off for service).

Anyways, ive called the service manager and demanded to know the people who drove my car, and if they are going to fix it, but all they've told me is come in tomorrow and they'll take it from there.

Has anyone had this happen to them before? Bring the car in for a service and find the car paint has been chipped?

I will not accept touch up paint as you can tell that it has been touched up, i want them to repaint that section properly so it blends in and you cant tell. You reckon they will do this for me? Or try and deny any wrong doing and say that it was there when i brought the car in to them?

boot1vc5.th.jpg boot2ah0.th.jpg

On a positive note they are going to replace my key under warranty, but they say they that they require my car for 1 whole day to reprogram it.

Edited by neK

Sorry to hear about that mate.

Same thing happened to me at Noble Toyota Chullora.

And they did not fix it. Basically said they take no responsibilty for my car when parked in there car park.

They say they cannot determine if the scratches were done during he service or after in the car park.

Good luck mate hope you do get them to do the right thing.

Sorry to hear about that mate.

Same thing happened to me at Noble Toyota Chullora.

And they did not fix it. Basically said they take no responsibilty for my car when parked in there car park.

They say they cannot determine if the scratches were done during he service or after in the car park.

Good luck mate hope you do get them to do the right thing.

hmmmmz

Toyota are like that eh....

interesting....

Will post up some details of my discussion with them tomorrow.

Would the following points be valid?

Obligations of repairer

A claim could also be brought under section 74 if the workshop did not exercise due care and skill in carrying out repairs or testing.

Section 74 implies a non-excludable warranty into contracts for the supply of services by workshops to customers:

• that services will be carried out with due care and skill; and

• that any components supplied in connection with those services will be reasonably fit for the purpose for which they are supplied.

Loss/Damage

A dealer is liable for loss or damage when this occurs while the vehicle is in the dealer's, or a sublet repairer's custody waiting for repairs under warranty.

Source:

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/motorvehicles/repairs.html

My understand of this fairtrading rule is that the repairer (in this case Stewarts Toyota Sutherland) needs to take full responsibility for my car as it was damaged under their care.

I mean if a mechanic knows someone who is a panel beater (could be a friend / could have a vested interest in the business / etc) that mechanic could potentially "accidently damage" a customers car (who bought it in for servicing) with the intention of having them to that particular panel beater to have them fix up a problem they intentially caused.

The loser in this case would be the comsumer who bought their car in for service, the winners would be the panel beater who receives extra business, and possibly the mechanic who "accidently damaged" the car receiving money or services in exchange for this dirty work.

To ensure that this does not happen, would be the reason that such a rule exists under the fair trading as we all know there are unscrupulous people out there who would do anything for a quick buck.

Edited by neK

i think it is good if anything that the chip is on the spoiler rather than the boot itself. the spoiler can easily be taken off for repair without leaving your car behind but i guess they will keep your car there to colour match. my guess is if you do not accept touch up then they would blend the damage. mind you your spoiler may come back worse than before. or that there will be another problem because nothing ever comes back looking or feeling factory. but looking at your pics the damage looks bad and i think you should have it fixed.

Dude sorry to hear about that. But that extract from the fair trading policy would carry weight. If they refuse to fix it, tell them youll go to the Dept Fair Trading and see what they do about it then.

If nothing still happens then go to the Dept Fair Trading and see what they have to say about the issue.

sorry to hear about that hey, but ****, i am going to service my car tomorrow at the toyota dealer tomorrow....giving me a scared now

if they don't repair it, tell them you report it to a current affair on TV

Went to Toyota today, they looked at it and said that they didnt scratch it.

Turned out to be a blessing in disguise i guess.

The paint itself was actually forming bubbles underneath the paint, so when they gave the car a wipe down it must have rubbed the paint off.

They then hinted to me that it was a non standard corolla part and may not be covered under warranty.

I pointed out that at the time I bought the car from them (Stewart Toyota - i bought it new), Toyota Australia did not have a sedan boot spoiler, as such the dealer installed a Talon one instead.

Because the car was bought from them and the spoiler was installed as part of the purchase price, they have decided to cover it under warranty.

Downside is that I need to leave the car there, but its all good.

So Ive got two things covered under warranty (boot spoiler repaint + damaged key), and my warranty expires on 4/2/07 :D

Everythings good! Im happy.

2 Thumbs up to Stewart Toyota for their excellent service. :D

Edited by neK

Good work!!!! I have to try and fight my local Toyota Dealer now cause the speakers are blown....good luck to me....

Good work!!!! I have to try and fight my local Toyota Dealer now cause the speakers are blown....good luck to me....

Damn I'd give you mine but I have non sportivo ones

Micky might have his still

Even so, might not be a speaker problem ay?

Prosser Toyota in Canning vale servicd my rig,One the apprentices proceeded to clean my car after the service..with a pressure cleaner and stripped the paint off the bonnet,a total of 1 inch of paint come off plus the stone chips opened up too,to tell u the truth i wasnt upset a lil disappointed not...Mad..

the manager called me up apologised profusely & booked my car for a complete frt respray,three days in the shop,With courtesy car & the result looked new,I dont know wat the dealerships are like elsewhere but the example expressed by my dealership,if they damage(intentionally Or not) ur car..they fix it..with full apology...flowers the whole nine yards ..Good luck hope they do the right thing

Well it should be covered under warranty (provided your car is still under warranty)

Warranties

Under the Trade Practices Act and Sale of Goods Act, manufacturers and retailers must fulfil a number of legal or statutory obligations when providing goods and services. These statutory obligations are the essential terms of a contract and cover the following:

Clear title - Your customers must become the outright owners of goods they purchase. Any legal restrictions on ownership, such as money still owing on the goods, must be explained fully and clearly to a customer before purchase.

Merchantable quality - Goods must meet a basic level of quality and do their job properly, bearing in mind their price and the way they are described. Goods, and services performed, must last for a reasonable time regardless of any extended warranty period. What is reasonable depends on the price paid and the type of product. Whether you are a manufacturer or retailer, the goods you supply must not be faulty in design or construction, and/or you must point out any defects to your customers prior to purchase. You are not liable if the defect was brought to the customer's attention prior to purchase.

These obligations apply whether or not you provide extra conditions under a written warranty or guarantee.

If your speakers are blown, then they have not met the basic level of quality. They must last a reasonable time (and as stated in red "regardless of any extended warranty period").

An equivalent car of the same age (assuming yours is <3 years old) should not have blown speakers if functioning on a stock OEM toyota system.

Of course if you mounted an aftermarket system, in which they could argue the output of the aftermarket audio system were beyond the maximum specifications of the speakers.

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/oft/oftw...AA?OpenDocument

good for you that they will fix ask for a loan car while they keep your car

hehe, I would only end up parking it at the nearby train station. LOL :P :lol:

Will be working in the city from next week so a loan car really isnt necessary. :D

Edited by neK