need help finding new isp

JJCRU23R

gday TOCAU,

my internet at home is currently with a small company called EMPCOM.

When i joined with them, my monthly internet started at $25 to $35 depending on usage. (depended on if i went over 1gig or not). this was on 256kbps/64kbps. slow for adsl standards but as long as its broadband, the wife is happy.

the $35 gives me a maximum of bout 5gigs per month.

internet use has been solid - no disconnections or disruptions of any kind, although i would have to email them to find out exactly how many gigs i am using each month. with telstra, you can find out pretty easily, but with empcom it was pretty difficult. so basically its a no frills internet service, but its gonna get expensive now!

my plan has already increased in price to a minimum of $35-$55/month since i joined, but luckily my contract with them means i still only pay a minimum of $25 until april when my contract expires.

i recieved an email late last year saying they will increase their prices even further, so im on the look out for another ISP that would give me a fair price on whats probebly the slowest speed of adsl you can get.

so if you are using a reliable isp that offers a fair price on ADSL, if you can recommend them here please?!?

they would have to service western sydney though.

thanks for your help.

jase

gday TOCAU,

my internet at home is currently with a small company called EMPCOM.

When i joined with them, my monthly internet started at $25 to $35 depending on usage. (depended on if i went over 1gig or not). this was on 256kbps/64kbps. slow for adsl standards but as long as its broadband, the wife is happy.

the $35 gives me a maximum of bout 5gigs per month.

internet use has been solid - no disconnections or disruptions of any kind, although i would have to email them to find out exactly how many gigs i am using each month. with telstra, you can find out pretty easily, but with empcom it was pretty difficult. so basically its a no frills internet service, but its gonna get expensive now!

my plan has already increased in price to a minimum of $35-$55/month since i joined, but luckily my contract with them means i still only pay a minimum of $25 until april when my contract expires.

i recieved an email late last year saying they will increase their prices even further, so im on the look out for another ISP that would give me a fair price on whats probebly the slowest speed of adsl you can get.

so if you are using a reliable isp that offers a fair price on ADSL, if you can recommend them here please?!?

they would have to service western sydney though.

thanks for your help.

jase

Try TPG I've bin with them for a while n I'm really happy with them!

TPG Website

Have a look at this website, www.broadbandchoice.com.au

With there search feature you can input what you want eg cost per month, download limit etc and gives you a list of ISP's that meet your requirements.

Im currently with Netspace at the moment but im on $80 a month with 60gigs worth of download and there reliability and speed have been flawless.

You can get one of there decent plans for about $40 which gives you about 20gigs to surf with.

TPG are ok until you need some support out of them or have a problem with the line. They'll do everything they can to avoid a proper line check.

I've been with them for about 4 years now, most of my workmates now use iinet.

Have a look at the Whirlpool broadband site.

Allows you to enter the variables and it spits out the appropriate plan (yes all info up to date).

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Im with TPG ADSL2+.

Getting speeds of 24Mbit connection (avg sustained download speed of 2Mb per sec).

Download limit is 30Gb per month @ $59.95.

If you're on an ADSL2+ exchange, TPG offers 24Mbit with 8Gb for $39.95 per month.

(But i warn you, you can chew up that 8Gb in 1 day at that speed.... i managed to leech 5Gb worth of stuff in half a day cos it was downloading so fast. LOL).

Edited by neK

Have a look at the Whirlpool broadband site.

Allows you to enter the variables and it spits out the appropriate plan (yes all info up to date).

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/

Im with TPG ADSL2+.

Getting speeds of 24Mbit connection (avg sustained download speed of 2Mb per sec).

Download limit is 30Gb per month @ $59.95.

If you're on an ADSL2+ exchange, TPG offers 24Mbit with 8Gb for $39.95 per month.

(But i warn you, you can chew up that 8Gb in 1 day at that speed.... i managed to leech 5Gb worth of stuff in half a day cos it was downloading so fast. LOL).

What are your upload speeds like? I heard it's a good 100kb/s on paper but true in reality?

I'm with TPG with 30 Gig download limit. As rollamods said they are good until you need to call their technical support. Be prepared to wait like 30-40 minutes for their technical support team to answer your phone outside of business hours which I think is outsourced to india.

INTERNODE!

been with them 6yrs, one outage that whole time (and it was coz some telstra noob cut the wires)

called the tech line once (great callback system) and reason for the call was i forgot my password :P

never looked back, just changed to the 8mbps ADSL, great speeds :)

speeds

i get upto 400KB/s down and 180kb/s up on ADSL 1 and i live 4 km away from the exchange!

someone, somewhere has been tweaking :D

What are your upload speeds like? I heard it's a good 100kb/s on paper but true in reality?

My upload speeds max out at about 110~115k.

Its amazing how fast bittorrent goes when you set your up to 100kb :D

you can test it at http://www.speedtest.net

on my TPG ADSL2+ I get about 4700kb/s down and 600kb/s up

Thats it BITS not bytes.

I just did the test and got 10041kbits download and 842kbps upload... divide those figures by 8, to get bytes.

Works out to be 1255kb download and 105kb upload...

Ive download faster and uploaded faster that :P

Now that's some nice speed, much faster than what I thought. BitTorrenting would be great.

I average 400kbytes per second on the popular TV shows from US.

Love it.... too bad i go through 30Gb so quickly and get capped at 128k :(

Another one here for TPG ADSL2+..... as the others have said they will try and tell you anything to not admit fault...

Edited by MAP81