stock head unit cd player fcuked up

JJCRU23R

this morning i noticed my cd player acting up on the way to uni. i hit what seemed to be a not so bad bump in the road (a road ive travelled many times over and the cd never skipped). anyway the cd not only skipped, it paused for bout 3-4 seconds before playing again.

on my way home, the cd began acting up further, pausing as if there were scratches on the cd, even though i only burnt it late last night?!!

i decided to go back a first few songs which i played in the morning that i knew i had no problems with then i left the house, but it continued skipping... became more frequent as the song went on.

finally i changed disks with a cd that ive played a million times over in the car, and the cd finally had it. it wouldnt even read the cds and after a long wait the player would spit the cd back out again.

does it simply need a clean or is something more serious going on?!?

this morning i noticed my cd player acting up on the way to uni. i hit what seemed to be a not so bad bump in the road (a road ive travelled many times over and the cd never skipped). anyway the cd not only skipped, it paused for bout 3-4 seconds before playing again.

on my way home, the cd began acting up further, pausing as if there were scratches on the cd, even though i only burnt it late last night?!!

i decided to go back a first few songs which i played in the morning that i knew i had no problems with then i left the house, but it continued skipping... became more frequent as the song went on.

finally i changed disks with a cd that ive played a million times over in the car, and the cd finally had it. it wouldnt even read the cds and after a long wait the player would spit the cd back out again.

does it simply need a clean or is something more serious going on?!?

Clean the laser first then worry if it persists...

You guys back at uni? We're back monday :(

my stock head unit plays up too...its so random! if i dont eject a cd n it stays in the player and i turn my car off - when i turn my car back on it wont even register that the head unit is a cd player.... it only lets me play the radio!!! so to fix it and get my cd out i have to turn the car off and turn it on again.... bizzare or what?! if someone is gonna tell me thats normal...im gonna cry

The stock players have a rather sensitive laser assembly, one knock too many and :( well, on the non-mp3 single discs versions i've owned anyway.

Since its acting up why not upgrade to a new HU?

Shameless plug on my own gear but its free install if your're in melb so why not?

:lol:

yea im doing post grad at kingswood so we started today.

yea ima have to buy a cd cleaner.

only last week i decided not to buy mods 4 my car until the end of my course (im in my last simester)... so an aftermarket head unit is gonna be a long way off.

yea im doing post grad at kingswood so we started today.

yea ima have to buy a cd cleaner.

only last week i decided not to buy mods 4 my car until the end of my course (im in my last simester)... so an aftermarket head unit is gonna be a long way off.

Aaah cool beans

I'm trying to last a semester with no mods too, I got no chance lol :lol:

Maybe someone has a stocker up for grabs either here or eBay if you don't want to fork out for a new aftermarket one...?

The stock players have a rather sensitive laser assembly, one knock too many and :( well, on the non-mp3 single discs versions i've owned anyway.

Since its acting up why not upgrade to a new HU?

Shameless plug on my own gear but its free install if your're in melb so why not?

:lol:

YEA Its a single cd, no mp3 HU.

im kinda thinking if a cd cant even read, what are the chances of a cd cleaner managing 2 do the job if it wouldnt even read that!?

if its gonna be a case of replacing the stocky then... ARGH! dont even want to think about what i need 2 do to fit an aftermarket deck in there...i mean i know what i gotta do already since ive taken out the stereo several times... (instructions found in the forums sumwhere)...but things arent meant to just break down like this!

giving me the shiets.

• 2 weeks later...

over a week later and the stereo still wont play anything. tried the cd cleaners... no luck.

ive resorted to getting a $9 fm transmitter for my ipod that plugs into the cig. lighter.

not particularly happy with the results with this either.

Edited by JJCRU23R

the same thing happened to my mum's 05 rolla. she took it back to toyota 2 times and still nothing it still stuffed up....the 3rd time they just ordered in a new one cause they said it was just a faulty batch.

• 2 years later...

Exact same thing happened to my headunit, as soon as i hit a small pot hole, resulting it to keep skipping, i changed cds and itll sit there doing nothing and spit it back out. Its been almost a week, anyone got a pic of the stock 2004 facelift headunit wiring diagram?