Short shifter for AE112 Corolla?

Does anyone know whether they make a shortshifter (any brand) for the AE112 Corolla?

If so, where from?

If not, where can I get my existing shifter butchered to be shorter?

cmon, there have got to be some other AE112 owners out there who have done some innovative stuff for me to follow in the footsteps of! :D

dont waste your money on the TRD item, You can get exactly the same performance for under $50.

Try and get a shift assembly from an AE111 20V frontcut, the throw is a lot shorter, and will bolt straight into your AE112. I have used ae111 shifters in a couple of AE92's now and the difference is massive. (your AE112 uses a C series box and the same style of shifter as the AE92, the body of your assembly will be plastic, the AE92's is metal, the AE111's is plastic.)

For the price of a TRD shifter, you could have your original and 10 others all modded to the same spec. You shorten the top section, and lengthen the lower section. This can also be achieved with an oxy torch and a hydraulic press to move the ball up the shaft.

dont waste your money on the TRD item, You can get exactly the same performance for under $50.

Try and get a shift assembly from an AE111 20V frontcut, the throw is a lot shorter, and will bolt straight into your AE112. I have used ae111 shifters in a couple of AE92's now and the difference is massive. (your AE112 uses a C series box and the same style of shifter as the AE92, the body of your assembly will be plastic, the AE92's is metal, the AE111's is plastic.)

For the price of a TRD shifter, you could have your original and 10 others all modded to the same spec. You shorten the top section, and lengthen the lower section. This can also be achieved with an oxy torch and a hydraulic press to move the ball up the shaft.

hmmm... are you SURE that the AE111 will bolt straight on? I might look into getting one if so.

Wouldn't mind the TRD gear knob :D because I know they make a TRD AE111 shortshifter, I have contacts who can get me TRD stuff reasonably cheap. But I need to know whether the AE111 and 112 use the same gearbox, and whether the shifter will work.

I guess if you a homemade $50 item, you need only spend $50.

Quality & style cost a little more. And a shift movement much closer the the std AE111 shifter.

The TRD shifter comes with the nice leather knob.

We've got one here in stock.

If you want TRD products where should you go?.....to the agent of course.

I guess if you a homemade $50 item, you need only spend $50.

Quality & style cost a little more. And a shift movement much closer the the std AE111 shifter.

The TRD shifter comes with the nice leather knob.

We've got one here in stock.

If you want TRD products where should you go?.....to the agent of course.

ooh, Mr TRDsales.com!

I emailed you last night about the shifter... get back to me when you get a chance please ;)

The shifters are directly interchangable. The 5-speed AE111 uses a C56 gearbox, you most likely have a C52 or C50 attached to your 7afe, check the VIN plate in the transaxle section.

With a modified shifter, there is absolutely no difference in function or feel between a "home made" short shift and the $400 TRD item apart from the knob. The throw between gears with my stock standard AE111 shifter from a BZ-V Levin is about 80mm at most.

I've got the measurments of the TRD shaft and the spacers from each model if you want to DIY, the gearknobs can be obtained for about $30-50 through a few Aus importers second hand, I have one in my 20V AE94.

As for a source of the AE111 assemblies, the Oz clubman forums etc are a good place to source them because the clubman guys that purchase frontcuts for their kit cars have no need for the shifter or gearbox. If you obtain a C56 from one of those guys aswell then you will have more "sports orientated" ratio's to work with, with the possibility of scoring an optional factory LSD.

the "butchering" involves heating the ball section on the shift lever up with an oxy torch, then moving it along the shaft (towards the top) by the amount required to make the lower section of shaft to the balljoint the same length as the TRD lever, you can even move it more for an even shorter shift.

In this pic you can see a standard AE92 shifter, which is the same basic design as the AE101 and AE111 shifters with the difference being the length above and below the ball.

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/shiftermod1.jpg

In the next pic you can see one of the AE92 TRD short shift kits which comes with a knob, lever, spacers and bolts, the spacers are required in the AE92 so the bottom of the extended lower section does not come in contact with the chassis.

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/shiftermod2.jpg

The AE10x's and AE11x's use plastic shifter housings and spacers are not required, one one of the two different AE92 metal housings the spacers are also not required.

This pic shows a comparison of the stock AE92, AE101 and AE111 shifters, with the AE111 being the shortest.

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/shiftermod3.jpg

and lastly we have a modified shifter which has had the ball moved up the shaft approximately 25mm. If you understand mechanics then you will realise how much of a difference increasing the section below the ball makes.

This shifter was tack welded to ensure the ball stays in one spot after the mod, but my preferred method is to drill the ball and install a spring pin that goes into the shaft.

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/shiftermod4.jpg

To do this mod, you need access to some equipment most ricers wont have, which is why you see so many "custom short shifts" which are just the top of the lever sawn off with a hacksaw...

If done properly (usually at the cost of a slab) by a friend, there is no functional difference between a modded shifter and the expensive TRD item. If you dont know anyone with the tools to complete this mod you can usually take the shift lever to an engineering shop/fabricator and tell them what you want done and how far you want the ball moved and they will do it for $20-50. The levers I had shortened were done at a Toyota service center for the cost of a spare lever so the mechanic could make one for himself aswell.

ps, here's a real AE92 quickshift. If you want a pic of the AE11x item unboxed let me know.

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/ae92quickshift.jpg

If done properly (usually at the cost of a slab) by a friend, there is no functional difference between a modded shifter and the expensive TRD item.  If you dont know anyone with the tools to complete this mod you can usually take the shift lever to an engineering shop/fabricator and tell them what you want done and how far you want the ball moved and they will do it for $20-50.  The levers I had shortened were done at a Toyota service center for the cost of a spare lever so the mechanic could make one for himself aswell.

Nice tutorial! If only I had the equipment, or knew someone who did... <_<

Might ask the guys at Toyota service on Friday when I go down, if I remember.

edit: but the TRD gearknob that comes with the shortshifter is so nice!!! :D

yup for all of your custom need

go to racing project

Speak directly to Nelson, he's the man.

23 Thorton Crescent, mithcam 3132 VIC.

9874 0066.

Tell him Daniel with black corolla told u about him. I brought TRD141 there to get his gear knob lowered and seems to me he is very happy with the result.

But hang on a minute, are u planning just to shorten the length of the gear knob or shorten the throw?

• 3 weeks later...

the AE11x shifters are a pain to swap the shaft in unless you got the whole assembly including the plastic base. If you got the whole lot including the base, just unclip the shift cables from the front by removing the two spring clips, then remove the end of the shift cables from the shift lever, unbolt the assembly from the chassis, and install the AE111 assembly in it's place.

If you just got the lever, then you have to dissasemble the plastic assembly around the shifter, which involves prying off the metal ring fasteners on the end of the shafts that run through the plastic cage that holds the shifter in place. It's hard to get the retainers off without damaging them.

Here's a pic of the last AE111 frontcut I got, and a second pic of the topview of an AE101 plastic shifter beside an AE92 metal item, the AE111 assembly is similar to an AE101.

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/ae111cut.jpg

http://www.rollamods.com/holding/shifters.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Does the AE111 cradle fit straight into the AE112 spot?

They've got the same bolt holes in the chassis. I've still got an AE111 frontcut around the side of my house.

• 5 months later...
Does anyone know whether they make a shortshifter (any brand) for the AE112 Corolla?

If so, where from?

If not, where can I get my existing shifter butchered to be shorter?

cmon, there have got to be some other AE112 owners out there who have done some innovative stuff for me to follow in the footsteps of! :D

Just call (02) 9742 3925 & order a can Black Pearl tranny oil. I own an AE112R & the throws are long, stiff & notchy. But save on getting a better one. Put this oil in, I've been using it & it shifts much more easily & quickly, with less heat & friction. I'm really rough with my gearbox & have shifted at redline at almost every opportunity I drive & after 70000kms the box is as good as ever with no more missed shifts when under load. Try it you'll save money in the long term, & besides most people who wanna buy your car will assume the car is stock standard unless otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

i got the shifter and assembly from a ae111 rolla to go into my ae112r, thing is the metal base on the ae111 is about 1cm longer than the ae112r's plastic one. this means that i can't put the linkages in properly and means the car can't get into 1st or 2nd gear.

has anybody changed this with sucess ? if so what did you do ?

cheers,

Andrew

hello,

i got the shifter and assembly from a ae111 rolla to go into my ae112r, thing is the metal base on the ae111 is about 1cm longer than the ae112r's plastic one. this means that i can't put the linkages in properly and means the car can't get into 1st or 2nd gear.

has anybody changed this with sucess ? if so what did you do ?

cheers,

Andrew

My AE111 20V shifter had an all-plastic base.

post-20-1113133775.jpg