Supercharging the 2ZZ ????

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

either way as ive said before and ill re-iterate again .... A DYNO IS NOT A MEASUREMENT TOOL !!!!!!!!!

Dynamometer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Not to be confused with dynameter.

For the dynamometer used in railroading, see dynamometer car.

A dynamometer, or "dyno" for short, is a machine used to measure torque and rotational speed (rpm) from which power produced by an engine, motor or other rotating prime mover can be calculated.

:toast::toast::toast: :P :P :P

you get what you pay for Mark :P

either way as ive said before and ill re-iterate again .... A DYNO IS NOT A MEASUREMENT TOOL !!!!!!!!!

Dynamometer

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Not to be confused with dynameter.

For the dynamometer used in railroading, see dynamometer car.

A dynamometer, or "dyno" for short, is a machine used to measure torque and rotational speed (rpm) from which power produced by an engine, motor or other rotating prime mover can be calculated.

:toast::toast::toast: :P :P :P

you get what you pay for Mark :P

:whistling: :P

Just for you Dylan :P

dy·na·mom·e·ter /ˌdaɪnəˈmɒmɪtər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dahy-nuh-mom-i-ter] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a device for measuring mechanical force, as a balance.

2. a device for measuring mechanical power, esp. one that measures the output or driving torque of a rotating machine.

[Origin: 1800–10; dynamo- + -meter]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source dy·na·mom·e·ter (dī'nə-mŏm'ĭ-tər) Pronunciation Key

n. Any of several instruments used to measure mechanical power.

[French dynamomètre : Greek dunamis, power; see dynamic + -mètre, -meter.]

dy'na·mo·met'ric (-mō-mět'rĭk), dy'na·mo·met'ri·cal (-rĭ-kəl) adj., dy'na·mom'e·try n.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

WordNet - Cite This Source dynamometer

noun

measuring instrument designed to measure power

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University

Just for you Dylan :P

dy·na·mom·e·ter /ˌdaɪnəˈmɒmɪtər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[dahy-nuh-mom-i-ter] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a device for measuring mechanical force, as a balance.

2. a device for measuring mechanical power, esp. one that measures the output or driving torque of a rotating machine.

[Origin: 1800–10; dynamo- + -meter]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source dy·na·mom·e·ter (dī'nə-mŏm'ĭ-tər) Pronunciation Key

n. Any of several instruments used to measure mechanical power.

[French dynamomètre : Greek dunamis, power; see dynamic + -mètre, -meter.]

dy'na·mo·met'ric (-mō-mět'rĭk), dy'na·mo·met'ri·cal (-rĭ-kəl) adj., dy'na·mom'e·try n.

(Download Now or Buy the Book) The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

WordNet - Cite This Source dynamometer

noun

measuring instrument designed to measure power

WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University

I think that's now cleared things up.

Anyway, back to topic.

So from the look of it, s/c the corolla 2zz-ge/1zz-fe can be tricky, and the easiest way to do it is go with blitz and TRD respectively. Quite expensive, but less headache and can deliver results.

I mentioned before by removing the a/c compressor, it looks like mounting rotrex there is possible. I'm not a technical expert here, but what seems to be the matters is to mount it so it is in-line with the belt. If I remember correctly, there was an orange painited 2zz-ge engine with rotrex and its from U.K, and I think thats what he did also.

Sometimes it's possible to run a long shaft connecting to the S/C unit itself - remote mounting the s/c unit so to speak. So for example. Place the belt driven end of the shaft near the alternator, then the shaft runs across the front of the intake runners behind the radiator connecting with the s/c unit which would be sitting near the throttle body side of the engine.

The only problem with this is the shaft needs to be braced in the middle with a bearing of course to keep it supported and balanced. Even then, the shaft balance would be an issue due to its length. But I think this is a possibility if it's thought through.

That's looking like the Scion S/C by TRD, i think its made by Vortech.

Someone with camry 2.4 can use that kit too.

Ahh really? so if there's a similar kit out there already, someone should be able to mod it to fit a 2zz/1zz and there wouldn't be any issues of the ABS unit being in the way or need to remove the Air Con.

I really don't think the A/C is a problem with a Rotrex SC, the ABS on the other hand would be an issue, however moving the ABS back towards the firewall would not be that hard to do, from there the only major modification would be the radiator, plenty of companies out there that can make them to spec.

http://www.trdusa.com/featuredpart.cfm?part=tcsupercharger

From your description, is this what it would look like?

I really don't think the A/C is a problem with a Rotrex SC, the ABS on the other hand would be an issue, however moving the ABS back towards the firewall would not be that hard to do, from there the only major modification would be the radiator, plenty of companies out there that can make them to spec.

The air/con is not the problem. Space is the problem, and if you want to mount the rotrex inside corolla engine bay looks like the best bet is to replace the a/c compressor with a rotrex compressor.

But of course if u can move the ABS unit, you can install the supercharger compressor just like that white 1zz-fe corolla.

By the way, anyone knows how's the progress with that 1zz-fe s/c>?

hahahahaha u crack me up mark ..... now stop confusing people :P :P all those people who arent in the know will actually believe you ...... i mean i know u believe everything u read on the net :P :P so that being the case my car makes 600kw @ the wheels and is pulling 8 sec 1/4 miles :P :P :P

back on topic ......

Given the supercharger route to take .... well it all depends on how deep ur pockets are and whether u want to go custom or not.

If you dont want to go custom and arent prepared to spend a lot of money then the greddy kit is for you. Now before ppl start complaining oh but there is no intercooler yada yada yada dont forget a charger isnt like a turbo so the air aint gonna be as hot so not having a cooler isnt as bad (althought obviously with a cooler would be better) but hey u did say u didnt wanna spend a lot so u get wat you pay for.

If you dont want to go custom and money is no object then definitly try either a blitz or trial kit. They pretty much come complete but may require some fiddling to get it to fit.

If you want to go custom then im going to say to you money needs to be no object and if money is a problem then im going to recommend you DONT go custom ... simple. In the custom space the world is your oyster .... u could go rotrex or vortech or cappa or eaton the list goes on .... there are many charger manufactorers out der you just have to find the one for you.....

cheers

Bill

Well I supposed that Scion Tc set up is possible, but I am not sure if the shaft will causes clearance issue with the bonnet. It have to go cross the intake manifold, then you got the s/c sitting high also.

Quite complex.

hahahahaha u crack me up mark ..... now stop confusing people :P :P all those people who arent in the know will actually believe you ...... i mean i know u believe everything u read on the net :P :P so that being the case my car makes 600kw @ the wheels and is pulling 8 sec 1/4 miles :P :P :P

back on topic ......

Given the supercharger route to take .... well it all depends on how deep ur pockets are and whether u want to go custom or not.

If you dont want to go custom and arent prepared to spend a lot of money then the greddy kit is for you. Now before ppl start complaining oh but there is no intercooler yada yada yada dont forget a charger isnt like a turbo so the air aint gonna be as hot so not having a cooler isnt as bad (althought obviously with a cooler would be better) but hey u did say u didnt wanna spend a lot so u get wat you pay for.

If you dont want to go custom and money is no object then definitly try either a blitz or trial kit. They pretty much come complete but may require some fiddling to get it to fit.

If you want to go custom then im going to say to you money needs to be no object and if money is a problem then im going to recommend you DONT go custom ... simple. In the custom space the world is your oyster .... u could go rotrex or vortech or cappa or eaton the list goes on .... there are many charger manufactorers out der you just have to find the one for you.....

cheers

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the response and your input, as a side note I do have a car with 600kw :D

Anyway as stated in your post, what would make a custom kit so expensive as opposed to buying a pre-made kit?

Piping is inexpensive, moving the ABS unit is something I can do, to get a custom radiator made costs approx $700, oil lines etc is something I can do, the only thing I wouldn't do is tune the PFC.

This is a possible project for me to do whilst I have no licence for three months, but before I do I'd like to get all the positives and negatives out of the way.

I could go buy another car but I really enjoy mu Stivo, It's a fun car, can park it anywhere and most of all the cops don't give me a hard time in it (yet)...

Well I supposed that Scion Tc set up is possible, but I am not sure if the shaft will causes clearance issue with the bonnet. It have to go cross the intake manifold, then you got the s/c sitting high also.

Quite complex.

Danz, thanks for the link, I like the concept however I would prefer something with a Intercooler setup, If I can get this to work I'll build the bottom end etc.

Quite complex.

True, a bit complex but it doesn't seem too high in some of the pics and I don't see why it couldn't be positioned a little differently for a better fit around the 2zz intake runners.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the response and your input, as a side note I do have a car with 600kw :D

Anyway as stated in your post, what would make a custom kit so expensive as opposed to buying a pre-made kit?

Piping is inexpensive, moving the ABS unit is something I can do, to get a custom radiator made costs approx $700, oil lines etc is something I can do, the only thing I wouldn't do is tune the PFC.

This is a possible project for me to do whilst I have no licence for three months, but before I do I'd like to get all the positives and negatives out of the way.

I could go buy another car but I really enjoy mu Stivo, It's a fun car, can park it anywhere and most of all the cops don't give me a hard time in it (yet)...

If you have the equipment and facilities to do all your own fabricating then custom is deffinately the way to go... the main reason custom jobs seem to cost so much more $$$$ is because the people getting it done are paying someone else to do all the work for them..... eg... a custom exhaust/cooler piping/whatever made by a shop is going to cost 3 to 4 times what it would cost anyone with the tools/know how to make the same thing. We made the catback on my car for approx $300 yet goto a custom exhaust shop and you will probably end up with little or no change from $1000 for the same thing .... But in saying that not everyone has the tools/skills/initiative to do it themselves so they pay these places the overly inflated prices.....

In All, if you have the tools/knowledge /skills then a DIY custom kit will always be cheaper and you have the satisfaction of knowing exactally what was done and how it was done.... and not to mention all the stuff you learn along the way.... hands on experience is 2nd to none....

Hey Bill,

If you have the equipment and facilities to do all your own fabricating then custom is deffinately the way to go... the main reason custom jobs seem to cost so much more $$$$ is because the people getting it done are paying someone else to do all the work for them..... eg... a custom exhaust/cooler piping/whatever made by a shop is going to cost 3 to 4 times what it would cost anyone with the tools/know how to make the same thing. We made the catback on my car for approx $300 yet goto a custom exhaust shop and you will probably end up with little or no change from $1000 for the same thing .... But in saying that not everyone has the tools/skills/initiative to do it themselves so they pay these places the overly inflated prices.....

In All, if you have the tools/knowledge /skills then a DIY custom kit will always be cheaper and you have the satisfaction of knowing exactally what was done and how it was done.... and not to mention all the stuff you learn along the way.... hands on experience is 2nd to none....

and mistakes can be costly :P and some sort of warranty is always a nice thing to sleep on ;)

and mistakes can be costly :P and some sort of warranty is always a nice thing to sleep on ;)

But thats the thing.... if your the one doing the work then you know that the job has been done right and mistake free.... the only time a warrenty is worth anything is when something breaks/goes wrong due to the installers mistake and most of the time they will blame it on something else and you will still end up paying at best for their labour only..... At the end of the day if you have the know how and equipment to DIY you will always save $$$$$ but if you dont have to confidence to do it yourself Silva then by all means pay some one to do it for so you can sleep at night.... but not everyone on this forum is scared of a bit of DIY :P

But thats the thing.... if your the one doing the work then you know that the job has been done right and mistake free.... the only time a warrenty is worth anything is when something breaks/goes wrong due to the installers mistake and most of the time they will blame it on something else and you will still end up paying at best for their labour only..... At the end of the day if you have the know how and equipment to DIY you will always save $$$$$ but if you dont have to confidence to do it yourself Silva then by all means pay some one to do it for so you can sleep at night.... but not everyone on this forum is scared of a bit of DIY :P

I'm with Mark, I'd sleep easier at night knowing I or a member of my family did the job.

But certainly if you have a trusted top-class workshop where price = quality then go right ahead.

I'm with Mark, I'd sleep easier at night knowing I or a member of my family did the job.

But certainly if you have a trusted top-class workshop where price = quality then go right ahead.

Problem is, there's only a small handful of such workshops, most others (even if they do charge top dollar) are just downright dodgy and dishonest. It's far from a regulated industry.

OK, thanks for the input guys, based on measurements etc, fitting a Rotrex supercharger is relatively easy, the ABS unit is not a concern and does not have to be moved.

Radiator has to be custom made, I have had quotes from $550 to $900, the only other concern is the PFC and making it work in the Stivo, I heard someone here has done it, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers