Best engine oil?

apg39

I searched but couldn't find anything relevant....

Anyone got comments on the best oil for the Aurion?

Booked mine in for the first service since buying it and the dealer uses Castrol FMX, does anyone know if there's a more ideal or better quality oil? Prefer synthetic and dont mind what it costs (within reason).

Got an auto tranny oil change as well cos I know the old owner &don't know what it would be like after she drove it. Plus its always good to have some fresh oil.

Cars done 38,000kms.

Edited by apg39

You want the best oil...?

Mobile Synthetic is the best out there... you looking at about 80 bucks per 5L...(from memory at either Autobarn or Supercheap...)

Aurion uses 5.7L of those stuff...

I myself use Penrite 5w 30 for both the Yaris and Aurion... (from memory it is a synthetic blend...)

Obviously for me I can tell the difference after the oil change coz it was all black stuff coming out... lol

Edited by Speedz

The Best Engine oil are the 8 Series Elf oils (or Motul, or Redline ->these 2 are much more readily available). You will probably have to special order and thats what I use in my Supersprint car. Ester based as well. Probably about $130~$150 for 5 litres.

Otherwise for the Aurion, I just tell the dealer to use the Toyota fully synthetic oil they have on shelf.

Any Fully Synthetic Oil is good.

I searched but couldn't find anything relevant....

Anyone got comments on the best oil for the Aurion?

Booked mine in for the first service since buying it and the dealer uses Castrol FMX, does anyone know if there's a more ideal or better quality oil? Prefer synthetic and dont mind what it costs (within reason).

Got an auto tranny oil change as well cos I know the old owner & it would be ratsh!t after she drove it. Plus its always good to have some fresh oil.

Cars done 38,000kms.

Edited by e240

I use Fuchs Titan Super GTO 10W30. It is a fully synthetic and I pick it up for about $39.95 per 5L at Super Cheap. I can't really justify paying double the amount for Mobil 1.

For young engines...

the lower the viscosity the better... saves abit of fuel... so I choose either 5w or even 0w (gonna try the 0w on my yaris next time round... lol)

only the older engines requires a higher viscosity oil (thicker) to better protect the engine...

Either way fully synthetic is good except Mobile are the most readily available off the shelf from your Supercheap or Autobarn...

the lower the viscosity the better... saves abit of fuel... so I choose either 5w or even 0w (gonna try the 0w on my yaris next time round... lol)

The first rating such as the '10' in 10W30, is only really relevant when the engine is cold. For Australian climate, no lower than '5' is really needed. That figure there does nothing really towards fuel economy as it just represents the viscosity when cold. It is the second figure that you should be concerned about (in this case '30'). This represents the viscosity of the oil at running temperature. A lower figure here would mean that it is thinner, and a higher figure would be the opposite.

For most modern engines such as the one in the Aurion, you shouldn't need to go thinner than a '30' grade. So for even the Australian cold climate, 10W30 would still be fine, but if you were picky, then you could go for 5W30. You could push your luck and go thinner such as 5W20, but if you stuff your engine in the search of a slight improvement in fuel economy... well, it probably won't be a simple fix.

hmmmm

either way... gonna give it a try... since the yaris is a toy for me to play with and its cheap to maintain once outside warranty!

and i always get mix up with the 5w and 20,30,40 and 50s... (so fark me that post was badly done by me... lol)

i think the old magna i once had was using 15w-50 coz it got leaky seals which was blowing white smoke...(3L V6...) it was much better after changing to a thicker oil...

I saw this article before but didn't really pay much attention but I vaguely remember that there was an issue over it as the testing mechanism was flawed and inconsistent.

Like I said before, if you want the best, go for Ester based oils - True Synthetics - Some Motuls, Some Elfs, Redline. I've had oil temps reach 130~140 degree's (Insufficient oil cooling @ constant 9000 rpm) and the Elf (HTX822 15w50) I was using held up really well (As in, Engine did not throw a bearing..hahah).

In contrast, I know a guy using a popular synthetic (non ester), say goodbye to his bearings at that temp cause the oil just couldn't take it (Taste test..yum)

Have a look at Oil Comparisons. I don't know how reliable or scientific it really is but it is interesting.

interesting article. a real shock that the $75~ oils did worse than the $35~ oils :unsure:

^ LOL

I was thinking the article was from Street 'Dores... and 1st thing came into my mind is... is it even legit... ?!

Then again I think the best oil for those 'Dores are probably those used canola oil...!

• 7 years later...

I like to use honey. Its natural so there is no environmental pollution and its the same colour as all those oils you recommend. 

I think every car forum I have ever seen has a thread like this based on the same question and they are filled with much the same responses