Dash rattles??

maso_01993

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

does anyone have any parts of their dashboard rattling all the time???. i think i might take mine back to toyota to fix it.

Yes i have the same problem, i think from previous posts that the tweeter speaker grills are the main problem. but i would like to know what Toyota say because i do remeber someone saying that there may be a recall about the dash mounts being faulty???

Regards,

Rick

The dash rattles are a known issue due to faulty clips that hold the various pieces together. Toyota released a fix for it, but it wasn't a recall.

Talk to your Toyota service dept and they should be able to source and install the kit for you under warranty.

And get ready to drop ur car a few times till it gets totally fixed.. Most of us here experienced this..

Mine still has the rattles, need to go there for the 2nd time.

My Corolla Sportivo has rattles whenever I hit 3000 RPM or higher and just cuts in and out at higher RPM after. Then again, I have engine mounts which will transfer engine rattles into the cabin. Adding to that, mine is made in SA which are of lower quality built compare to that of those made in japan.

There was a known issue about that shifter cables that was causing it but toyota isn't issuing a fix/recall for it.

Not sure about the aurions stivo though ....

I used to have this issue. Emailed Toyota about it and they contacted me in like, 2 days. Didn't take a while before i got an appointment either, I think another day or two and i was at the Bodywork center. They fixed it for me in 1 hour or so. Pretty quick and efficient!.

Now the noise is GONE completely, I suggest you take it to Toyota as soon as possible.

Make sure you REALLY want the dash rattles fixed... I took my presara for a minor rattle fix, they ended up taking out the entire dash. They kept the car for a couple of days and returned it to me with more problems than when I took it in... Amongst them being:

- Steering controls disabled

- Climate Control / AC not working

- Steering wheel not aligned properly (had it turned almost quarter to the left to go straight!!!)

- Other various things not working (made a list, approx 12 items they stuffed up).

- They also managed to add a few minor scratches to the passenger side dash and the speedometer unit plastic screen.

So had to take it back again to fix all the things they didn't put back together properly. As soon as I drove out, the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) light and bell came on. Another visit back again, then had to order some part which I had to wait 1 week for, and finally everything was put back together ok.

The main rattle has gone, the dash scratch is still there, a new minor dash rattle has been added.

Main thing to consider is that it's a big job to pull out the dash (I'd hate to see how many clips, screws and other spare parts get "left over" after completion), and with a new car, the handling of each item may introduce scratches/damage and/or other potential faults.

I used to be of the opinion that a Toyota dealer will know how to fix it properly (the dealer is a prominent one in Melbourne), they will treat my immaculate Presara with care and return it to me in at least a good a state as I brought it in. Boy, was I confused !!! Their apologetic excuse was that their dash expert was away and someone else stood in and did my car. Would have been good to tell me that when I brought the car in, I would have happily waited for the "expert" to get back. Either way, the competency of their employees is not my problem, and such issues should be transparent to customers.

Now I'm not sure if I dare take my car in for more dash repairs to eliminate the final rattle...

That's insane. Clearly it shows that they did not take enough care in taking it apart and putting it all back together. To hear that they didn't even put hte steering wheel on straight is a MASSIVE sign of their incompetence. How the hell is one able to trust their dealer to service their car. It's things like that which make me prefer to do things myself.

One of gazillion reasons why I haven't visited a dealer service center ever since I got the car to do work on it.

I rather look around, ask a few questions and embark it on my own. Having said that, my car is no longer under warranty which is why I can do so. Even if it is, not like it'll matter much anyways as xoom can tell you.

LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The dash rattles are a known issue due to faulty clips that hold the various pieces together. Toyota released a fix for it, but it wasn't a recall.

Talk to your Toyota service dept and they should be able to source and install the kit for you under warranty.

ok, i think i will. the rattles arent that bad but they are annoying

The dealer I went to was actually quite good, I have had no problems with these guys, they knew what I was talking about when I said dash rattle, no explanation needed.

My dash rattle is fixed, everything about the car is satisfactory. So far they have actually been proactive, one noticed a shudder when I first brought the car in for a service, and fixed it free of charge.

I get a courtesy car everytime and I have paid a total of 120 bucks which was for my third service.

The dealer I went to was actually quite good, I have had no problems with these guys, they knew what I was talking about when I said dash rattle, no explanation needed.

My dash rattle is fixed, everything about the car is satisfactory. So far they have actually been proactive, one noticed a shudder when I first brought the car in for a service, and fixed it free of charge.

I get a courtesy car everytime and I have paid a total of 120 bucks which was for my third service.

Can I please ask what & where your dealer located in Melbourne because they sounded like a really good dealer to go to.

Cheers!

LeMans in Footscray.

Noted. Will keep this one in mind from now on. I should point out that I bought my car from Peter Davey in Werribee. They looked after me real well, as did their service department. They were quite good and persistent in isolating an on-and-off rattle under the bonnet somewhere (I couldn't demonstrate it when I took the car in). Turned out to be one of the Air Conditioning pipes being very close to the body and when working hard was vibrating sufficiently hard to touch the pane (and rattle). Impressive that they were able to find that, fixed of course free of charge. Probably only involved pushing/bending it slightly to increase the gap.

That is NOT where I went to get my dash rattle fixed. I wish I did. It couldn't have been worse... :)

I had a similar problem to that, which was causing the shuddering on startup. The aircon pipe had somehow come loose and was under the body or something like that. I thought it was normal since my old car did the same thing lol, but the guys at the dealer spotted it straight away on its first service and notified me.

LeMans in Footscray.

Noted. Will keep this one in mind from now on. I should point out that I bought my car from Peter Davey in Werribee. They looked after me real well, as did their service department. They were quite good and persistent in isolating an on-and-off rattle under the bonnet somewhere (I couldn't demonstrate it when I took the car in). Turned out to be one of the Air Conditioning pipes being very close to the body and when working hard was vibrating sufficiently hard to touch the pane (and rattle). Impressive that they were able to find that, fixed of course free of charge. Probably only involved pushing/bending it slightly to increase the gap.

That is NOT where I went to get my dash rattle fixed. I wish I did. It couldn't have been worse... :)

Could you take a picture of the pipe that you found causing this? I've been hunting for this issue for ages, but whenever I take it for service no matter what I do cannot reproduce the noise!

Drives me insane, especially when idling as it sounds like there's a metal plate with a bolt rattling around in it...

You guys do know Toyota Dealerships have apprentices, and sometimes these jobs get passed on to them if the Technicians are busy with bigger jobs.

Sounds like riftime got an apprentice onto it. You don't need to remove the steering wheel, just have to drop the four bolts on the steering column.

Also for the dash rattle kit, they add extra foam under the dash and replace new clips with extra foam.

Should only take about 2-3hours.

LeMans in Footscray.

I bought my car from Peter Davey in Werribee as well. I've just brought my car in for the 15000KM Service yesterday and they seemed to be quite good. So I'm very surprised that your car was not been fixed properly as mentioned above with your dash rattle issue.

I WAS planning to take my car in to check/fix the dash rattle issue BUT I will have to re-think about that now. Also my dash rattle issue does not occur very often and I have to really pay attention to actually hear it. So not sure if I want to take it in for the Dealer to fix it.

What should I do??? Appreciate all your opinions/comments. :)

Edited by Rooney888

Could you take a picture of the pipe that you found causing this? I've been hunting for this issue for ages, but whenever I take it for service no matter what I do cannot reproduce the noise!

Arghhh... Sorry... I never asked the service centre which pipe it was. I had it fixed at Peter Davey Toyota in Werribbee, VIC (Melb). If you're in Melb, you can try your luck and pay them a visit and get them to look at your car. Alternatively, give them a call and ask them to look up their records for my car (I can email you my rego if you want) to see what they did to fix my car.

They did a good job, the sound never came back again. Have you tried to trace all the pipes around all the obstacles and check for clearances? Apparently this was very close and the vibrations caused it to touch, hence the rattle. Are you also sure that it's A/C related? i.e.: when on idle and the sound is present, if you turn the A/C off, does the rattle immediately stop?

I bought my car from Peter Davey in Werribee as well. I've just brought my car in for the 15000KM Service yesterday and they seemed to be quite good. So I'm very surprised that your car was not been fixed properly as mentioned above with your dash rattle issue.

I WAS planning to take my car in to check/fix the dash rattle issue BUT I will have to re-think about that now. Also my dash rattle issue does not occur very often and I have to really pay attention to actually hear it. So not sure if I want to take it in for the Dealer to fix it.

Let me clarify. I bought my car from Peter Davey in Werribee. My first 1,000kms inspection/check-up was with them, they fixed my A/C (under-bonnet) rattle successfully. Great service. Werribee is however very inconvenient for me, I only bought my car from there because they offered the best deal. The idea was I only go there to pick up my car (test-drove elsewhere), and that was to be the only trip to Werribee.

The 15,000 service was done at another dealer. That's where I had to take my car back a few times for poorly completed dash re-assembly after they attempted to fix my dash rattle. It is this repairer that I was unhappy with. I'm reluctant to name them just yet in case it was just my car and I that was unfortunate... Let's just say that they're much closer to Melb CBD than Werribee is.

To answer your question (what should you do), if Werribee is convenient for you, lucky you. Stick with it, I would.

Let me clarify. I bought my car from Peter Davey in Werribee. My first 1,000kms inspection/check-up was with them, they fixed my A/C (under-bonnet) rattle successfully. Great service. Werribee is however very inconvenient for me, I only bought my car from there because they offered the best deal. The idea was I only go there to pick up my car (test-drove elsewhere), and that was to be the only trip to Werribee.

The 15,000 service was done at another dealer. That's where I had to take my car back a few times for poorly completed dash re-assembly after they attempted to fix my dash rattle. It is this repairer that I was unhappy with. I'm reluctant to name them just yet in case it was just my car and I that was unfortunate... Let's just say that they're much closer to Melb CBD than Werribee is.

To answer your question (what should you do), if Werribee is convenient for you, lucky you. Stick with it, I would.

Theres an old topic/posts regarding dash rattles somewhere on the forum as I had my car in about 4 times before they decided to get a new dash from Japan. this still didn't fix the problem and so Toyota Tech in Melbourne got them to check the wiper assembly under the cover in the engine side/firewall area. sure enough there was a cover under there that had hand tigntened nuts and the cover wad rattling away and coming through like a sort of dash creaking noise. even though its now fixed, my car has never been the same as there is small scratches and nicks and grubby marks from having the dash pulled apart so many times. just be careful that you don't end up with the same problem. good Luck!

I used to have a rubbing/rattle at the top of the dash, but didnt do anything & until I just read this thread I didn't notice its completley gone?

Mind you I've taken the radio/AC/vents/console section apart about 6 times since then so maybe I 'accidentally' fixed it.

Regarding the dash rattles, I can "force" the noise by grabbing the dash just above the steering wheel and pulling/pushing it. The sound is almost like it's touching the windscreen?

For those rattles that appear to come and go, I've noticed that in summer the rattles are much less obvious than in winter. Probably due to the plastic/rubber parts being softer and more forgiving than in winter when they're stiffer.

I now have a rattle somewhere on my right. It could be either the drivers door, the center pillar, or something like that? Comes and goes, still trying to push here and there to isolate it. Has anyone else experienced rattles in the door or pillars ?