ZRE exhaust results

I had the exhaust completed today. We went with a custom 2.5" stainless system, and JunBL DTM rear box.

Heres what we removed:

removed.jpg

After running the car with the rear muffler and rear section off, we realized that the big bomb looking thing was a giant resonator and another cat. With the cat on and tail section off, the system ran as quite as it did with the tail section on. So, i opted to remove the giant resonator... We ran the rest of the system, and put a medium JunBl resonator in its place.

The result idled well, nice and throaty, deep. I took it for a test drive, and Jeeeebus, its was like a full NA race system!! sooo bloody loud, it almost shook my teeth from my jaw on decel and punching it. Tone/note was fantastic, but volume was over the top. No good, well it would be ok if thats what your after, and im not 16yrs old, so we had to change it. We put the giant sausage back in, and it shut 'er up good and proper. Still nice neat rumble at idle, and sme but quiet note at full throttle. I was finally happy :)

exhuaust1.jpg

exhuaust.jpg

The results:

I had KPM do a power run before and after the system change. Top kW gain was around 4kW at peak, but i gained around 6-7kW mid range, and smoothed out the curve quite a bit. Not bad really. Around what i expected. Gain of around 10-12Nm of torque. Not too shabby either.

dynoresults.jpg

Throttle response in still as sharp.

Im happy with the results, and being one of the first to venture into the unknown land of ZRE full systems, it worked out well. Im happy with the look too, if i get bored of it later i can always go for double walled tips...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone,

Dwee, You torque readings are very high. Most torque numbers are just a guess/estimation generated by the software, worked from the power figures. I have seen some dynos read almost 80-100Nm more on the exact same car, different dyno.

Saying that, my figures may be low, you just dont know unless the same dyno and climatic conditions are kept uniform.

Glad i made the right decision re tips :)

Pic of the full system (race volume!):

Fullexhaust.jpg

So basically its now the same but with the factory resonator in place of the JunBL one in the pic.

I dont have any decent recording or video camera. You probably would have wanted to hear it scream with the Jun resonator, its not that loud now :lol:

Isn't 2.5" a smidge too big for a ZRE? Would of thought 2.25" would be better.

That dyno with the stock resonator on or the aftermarket one?

Good gains for just an exhaust!

2.5 is ok. I was assured it would be and hes done exhausts for around 12 years or so... I did originally ask for a 2.25, but as i want it in stainless and it was a saturday, he didnt have enough material to complete it in 2.25", plus, all the JunBL fittings were 2.5", no point restricting it at each stage.

I cant feel much difference with response, and the extra boot makes up for it if there is any.

That big sucker of a factory resonator is quite free flowing, the only restriction was the sound. Ill dyno again if i do CAI but im not sure it would gain any more. Maybe the extra length of the CAI will bring back any lost response. Whats the normal gain from CAI?

Not sure about the ZRE, but the Injen in my Celica is 'supposed' to add 7-12HP right up top. More likely to be 7 then 12. Depends on the design of the CAI but most gains are usually round the top of the rev range. If its too big it'll bog down low without a aftermarket ECU to compensate. TRD make one for the ZRE ya? Prolly your best bet.

Not sure about the ZRE, but the Injen in my Celica is 'supposed' to add 7-12HP right up top. More likely to be 7 then 12. Depends on the design of the CAI but most gains are usually round the top of the rev range. If its too big it'll bog down low without a aftermarket ECU to compensate. TRD make one for the ZRE ya? Prolly your best bet.

ive got the INJEN CAI but i still need to get a dyno done, and they say it suppose to be around the 7-12hp mark aswell but "apparently" it could be more as the US vehicles are more restricted but i i really doubt it, also no TRD CAI for us ZRE owners...if there was i would have got it a while ago

ive got the INJEN CAI but i still need to get a dyno done, and they say it suppose to be around the 7-12hp mark aswell but "apparently" it could be more as the US vehicles are more restricted but i i really doubt it, also no TRD CAI for us ZRE owners...if there was i would have got it a while ago

get a dyno quick charlie ! LOL

7 - 12hp = 3 - 5kw.....

:| seems like taking your spare wheel out would net a better result in real terms.

Small changes but they all add up. Its not like any of this stuff is really expensive, unless you go a bit overboard and end up spending like $2000 on a headerback stainless exhaust like I did :lol:

7 - 12hp = 3 - 5kw.....

:| seems like taking your spare wheel out would net a better result in real terms.

Small changes but they all add up. Its not like any of this stuff is really expensive, unless you go a bit overboard and end up spending like $2000 on a headerback stainless exhaust like I did :lol:

or a supercharger/turbocharger system... then you see the gains XD

Exhaust looks tip-top mate :clap:

Evo

Every mod that nets 5-7kW all add up. Especially when you get more mid range. Final kW figures dont really matter to me, but more pulling power thru the mid range is always an advantage.

The wheels in my sig are custom VIP rims from Junction Produce. Im thinking long and hard about getting some. Looking at over $1200/rim landed :rolleyes:

7 - 12hp = 3 - 5kw.....

So the CES catback for the ZZE at $1060 is pretty good value then for the 6-9kw gain!!

Good to see someone with a ZRE doing something about real mods. Now to find someone with a ZRE in Brissy to possibly be the guinea pig for CES to finish a CAI for the ZRE.......

7 - 12hp = 3 - 5kw.....

Good to see someone with a ZRE doing something about real mods.

Nice work Pete,love it... Impressive as opposed to my fake mods...

pm you shortly ;)

So the CES catback for the ZZE at $1060 is pretty good value then for the 6-9kw gain!!

Good to see someone with a ZRE doing something about real mods. Now to find someone with a ZRE in Brissy to possibly be the guinea pig for CES to finish a CAI for the ZRE.......

Yes, I Agree. We need Brissy ZRE for CES catback & CAI.. (Ray89) :P

Total cost of the headers inc. installation was a smidge over $1000, so its about right. Maybe a bit expencive.

Im happy with the results, and being one of the first to venture into the unknown land of ZRE full systems, it worked out well. Im happy with the look too, if i get bored of it later i can always go for double walled tips...

You're actually the second to venture into the unknown LOL :)

I had the cat back system done on my ZRE sedan quite a while ago (details HERE) and I'm glad you decided to keep the factory bomb/cat. converter in place because you would have problems with the ECU and the O2 sensor readings.

I'm glad you decided to do a dyno for this mod because the power and torque gains shown in your results is exactly what I felt the ZRE sedan has gained. It wasn't a major power boost, but it is certainly noticeable.

Well done mate and it looks awesome.

You're actually the second to venture into the unknown LOL :)

I had the cat back system done on my ZRE sedan quite a while ago (details HERE) and I'm glad you decided to keep the factory bomb/cat. converter in place because you would have problems with the ECU and the O2 sensor readings.

I'm glad you decided to do a dyno for this mod because the power and torque gains shown in your results is exactly what I felt the ZRE sedan has gained. It wasn't a major power boost, but it is certainly noticeable.

Well done mate and it looks awesome.

i dont have the bomb and i dont seem to have any problems? maybe not having a problem is the problem and that means i now have a problem. damn my logic