vvtli fuel cut? good or bad?

hey all...

seems like i got lots of question to ask but so little time.... busy busy busy wit work n uni at the same time!!!

ok heres wat i wan to know...

fuel cut or rev cut. which one is better...

vvtli is programmed to cut the fuel when it over revs

vtec has a rev limiter which stop them from over revving the car

apparently i have been told tat fuel cut is bad for the engine or something like tat...

so which is which.

Guest JDM y0 !

fuel cut = kind of bad lol

you want it cut ignition like the BEE-R rev limiter, better for the engine and you can also make hektic y0 ! flames too. :P yah fuel cut = bad

learn to drive and dont hit it?

yawn...

fuel cut = when u reach the redline 8200k rpm the they ecu will cut the fuel pumping to the engine....

rev cut = rev till 8200 the rev limiter will just stay at 8200k.

anything to do for the vvtli to change the fuel cut to rev limiter?

i thought fuel cut was when you hit 187 kph using a stock ecu, and the car does go and faster.

187?? I think it depends what car you're in...My stivo has seen speeds of 200+ on the stock ecu, private roads of course!!

Speaking of fuel cut/rev cut, i have now found that i have lost 1000 RPM (between 7K-8K). I had reset my ECU and all looked good but again the same issue no more then 1 week done the track. It seems to happen when i lose traction when hitting lift in 1st gear. Can someone please help and advise as to why this may exactly be happening and what a possible fix would be.

Will be taking it to Toyota next week but still very interested as to why this happens.

I found the fuel cut affect by type of fuel we use..

When I be tigh a.s.s and put normal premium on my car, somehow it allow to rev 8200~8300rpm... :unsure:

When I give goodies 98 Octane fuel, it cut-out 7800rpm!! :o

I donno would that be affect by weather too, but that's what I experiences so far.. :blink:

but honestly, the power is drop between 7800~8300rpm with standard ECU anyway, I think just drive the car within rev limit is good enough, unless you really need to keep high rev on some certain corners lol..

Edited by zenkinsw

guys guys guys....

hmmm anyone of u been playing wit ur cars?

or u the ppl tat all show but no go kinda ppl....

not to say tat im driving on the redline everyday or sustaining it...

i've got plenty of frens wit diffrent cars. turbo to NA to V8 to prosche(belong to their dads).

been on crusies with many ppl...

i bought the sportivo brand new so i didnt wan to trash it when its still new.... the car is 1 and half years old now... so i tried something new wit it tat day...

bought it to a honda cruise n push to car o the limit....

rev it on 3rd all the way till 8200rpm....wanted to see the ecu cuts the fuel or limits the rev.....

so i suddenly lost power although my feet is stuck the ground....

which means the ecu was program to cut the fuel pumping into the car...

which i have ask some ppl n they say its bad for the engine....

but if the ecu was programed to limit the rev its better....

so i was wondering if u guys really have any idea on wat im talking about....

wat i have told u on top.... i don do it evryday so stop telling me to learn how to drive or dont drive it to the limit.....

Anyone with genuine ideas on wat i mean plz let me know....

just wan a better understanding on the topic....

Ok, in doing what you described, you're hitting the rev-limiter. The rev-limited works by cutting your fuel, instantaneously dropping your revs a couple of hundred rpms.

The fuel cut is there to prevent you damaging the engine through excessive revs. So, yes, what you've been told is correct, hitting the rev-limiter is not good for the engine. There is no benefit at all in hitting it. It only slows down your driving and leads to premature wear.

haha

iam so confuse man

i use to have a dohc vtec car and the rev limiter is about the same as stivo, its 'wahwahwahwah', as 1zzfe described, drops couple hundred of revs instantaneously

as for suddenly lose power at red line, its funny that it doesnt happen all the time....most of the time it just wont let u rev, no lost of power

and mate, we play wit our cars, we love our cars thats y we on here, but it doesnt mean we have to hit the limiter, pushing your car to the limit do not= hitting the limiter, watch best motoring dvd how often do those race drivers hit the limiter when they push the car to the limit

Speaking of fuel cut/rev cut, i have now found that i have lost 1000 RPM (between 7K-8K). I had reset my ECU and all looked good but again the same issue no more then 1 week done the track. It seems to happen when i lose traction when hitting lift in 1st gear. Can someone please help and advise as to why this may exactly be happening and what a possible fix would be.

Will be taking it to Toyota next week but still very interested as to why this happens.

2ZZ???

Let it warm up first cause until the engine reaches a specific operating temperature VVTLI won't kick in and it will rev to 7k on the low cam only.

Sportivo has a rev limiter in every gear, but i think 1st may be together with a fuel cut.

i dont see what the problem is? both make it so u dont f*ck your engine

however if u know how to drive you dont need either. take some lessons people.

haha

iam so confuse man

i use to have a dohc vtec car and the rev limiter is about the same as stivo, its 'wahwahwahwah', as 1zzfe described, drops couple hundred of revs instantaneously

as for suddenly lose power at red line, its funny that it doesnt happen all the time....most of the time it just wont let u rev, no lost of power

and mate, we play wit our cars, we love our cars thats y we on here, but it doesnt mean we have to hit the limiter, pushing your car to the limit do not= hitting the limiter, watch best motoring dvd how often do those race drivers hit the limiter when they push the car to the limit

hmmm... tis is getting boring bout ppl bragging wat car they use to drive n shi*.... race drivers?

WTF!!! y watch them for? they don push the cars to the limit? WOW!!!

N MATE pls try to rev to the max.... for once.... wit ur feeet on the ground....

"but it doesnt mean we have to hit the limiter, pushing your car to the limit do not= hitting the limiter"

.....................................................................................................

no one is asking u, if u havent push it to the limit b4.....

i wan to know if any one has ever tried it....

vtecs doesnt cut the fuel....

ur rpm stays ther till ur engine blows....

ANNOYed wit the comment....

just forget bout the topic...

just go to the shops n find out my self...

haha

iam so confuse man

hmmm... tis is getting boring bout ppl bragging wat car they use to drive n shi*.... race drivers?

N MATE pls try to rev to the max.... for once.... wit ur feeet on the ground....

"but it doesnt mean we have to hit the limiter, pushing your car to the limit do not= hitting the limiter"

.....................................................................................................

this is getting personal.....

how do u know i havent? wow man its cool to put your foot all the way to the ground and flooring the thing, i mean its hard isnt it??????? i rev to the max soon as i bought the car, to c what rpm it revs to, but thats not pushing the CAR to the limit, its just the engine, mate u dont know us... theres some really good drivers on here that race their car on track all the time, so b4 u say we havent push the car to the limit, and things like'u people all show and no go' think about it first

and iam bragging about what car i use to drive? mate you're the one who mention vtec engine, iam just trying to compare the two wif my experience...i guess its your way saying thank you, and whats that ***** you mention about your friends have v8 na and porsche, whats that gota do wif your driving skill? my friends have 200sx v8 commo, fto, 300sx, all with some tasty mods, at that time i was still driving my auto daihatsu, that made me a good driver?? my friend in sydney have a friend that owns the amuse wide body s2k, nsx and rx8, that make my friend or even the owner a good driver?? not that i know of....

Edited by sportiyo

settle guys or you'll both get a holiday from the forum ...... no-one needs to make this personnal .... lets just stick to the facts

2ZZ???

Let it warm up first cause until the engine reaches a specific operating temperature VVTLI won't kick in and it will rev to 7k on the low cam only.

Yea 2ZZ, now i think about it i had only just jumped in the car so you would be right about the temp being too low. Thanks SILVABULLIT i did not know that.

hey all...

seems like i got lots of question to ask but so little time.... busy busy busy wit work n uni at the same time!!!

ok heres wat i wan to know...

fuel cut or rev cut. which one is better...

vvtli is programmed to cut the fuel when it over revs

vtec has a rev limiter which stop them from over revving the car

apparently i have been told tat fuel cut is bad for the engine or something like tat...

so which is which.

Hi Clement,

I think in essence of this feature of the car is this: while cutting fuel isn't great (just letting the pistons cruise in neutral), it is far better than the alternative (*boom* + smoke).

Rev limiters (electrical ones, not mechanical ones) work by rerouting distributor signals to a ground. Effectively this stops the sparkies igniting the fuel in the cylinders. BUT, fuel is still going through. This unburnt fuel gets sucked through the exhaust... Unburnt fuel in the exhaust can still ignite, in some cases in parts of the exhaust not designed for combustion (*boom* + smoke + flames out exhaust).

Give me a fuel cut any day in that respect.

If this 'feature' from Toyota annoys you, there are ways to convert it. You can buy auto kits which can act as rev limiters (check Jaycar). You attach it to pinouts in your ECU, set it as stated above with the distributor bypass, and you're there. There are inherent problems with rev imiters, but I wont go into them; look them up.

That should hopefully answer your question in its entirety, with no car-bragging or personal attacks. In the end, as most things are, it is a matter of preference and opinion.

Have fun at uni.

wat do u mean i am not teh pr0 race drivezor?....

i racez mi car all day down teh stripe...

ya bounce it of teh rev limita ---- it goes WAP WAP WAP WAP!!!...

and when it makes dat sound i am like WHOAAAAH...this is fully hektic!...

so bra, plz dun cum here sayin dat i dun smash mi car for teh hell of it...

cuz i do...

an for da wreckord...mi bro owns teh boogatty vayron...

it SMMMMMMAASSAHES teh v8, vtec...everyting mayt...

the only way you gunna beat him in a race is if ya push teh sportstivo to deh LIMIT bra!....