WEIRD noise from my stivo?

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before, after i have hit lift a couple of times and gone for a 'spirited' drive i experience this grinding clunking noise when i break normally to slow down to a stop at the lights for example. It sounds a lot like ABS kicking in when i slam on the breaks to avoid an accident!! and im only break very S L O W L Y...........?

What could this be? i have a 2005 corolla sportivo with only 21k on it....surely my breaks aren't gone already? its only been a year and i rarely drive my car HARD continuously or break HARD continuously?

if someone could shed some light on this it would be great....thanx in advance.

The brakes, especially the discs warping has been a problem on SA built Corollas.

Have Toyota fix it, it's their problem for fitting poor quality components.

Be firm (but polite :D ) that they need to fix it and it's not a "Normal wear and tear issue".

Oddly enough now that I have the P1's on my car the grinding is gone. It doesn't do it anymore :o

Could it be the stock wheels in my case lightly brushing the stockers? Or is it the fact that the 6 spoke design lets the brakes breath a bit more?

ooOOOooOOoooOOooOo

You guys have 05 Stivos.. which means warranty... :D just get toyota to figure it out...

AHHHHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

I took it to 2 different dealers here and they just scratched their heads. I was the one that ended up saying 'replace my brake pads and surface grind the rotors'. Even then that didn't fix it completely.

Changing the wheels did though? I still find that totally weird. That you sam? lol

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before, after i have hit lift a couple of times and gone for a 'spirited' drive i experience this grinding clunking noise when i break normally to slow down to a stop at the lights for example. It sounds a lot like ABS kicking in when i slam on the breaks to avoid an accident!! and im only break very S L O W L Y...........?

What could this be? i have a 2005 corolla sportivo with only 21k on it....surely my breaks aren't gone already? its only been a year and i rarely drive my car HARD continuously or break HARD continuously?

if someone could shed some light on this it would be great....thanx in advance.

I had a similar problem of ABS engaging on my 05 Camry (I know not the same car but could be a similar cause). At the same time as I braked a blinker also came on steady (not blinking - I can't remember whether it was right or left) and my reverse sensors gave the "oh #$@% your about to hit" sound.

Apparently there was a loose connector and it was a relatively simple fix for the dealer. It could be as things heat up after a spirited drive that something is coming loose

yep got grinding brakes on my 05 38000 kms stivo too....

reported it to toyota over the last 3 services problem still not fixed.... will report again at 40000kms

very simple fix ..... DBA rotors & ferodo DS2500 pads :toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

Yes I need money and time for that though bill :(

Fixed signature for you btw:

Kebab eating = 50% Guy, 40% Stomach, 10% Garlic Sauce

I just had a 30000km service completed with them paying special attention to my front brakes on my 2005 sportivo. i arrived and they said the noise and braking feel was a common problem and in some circumstances the discs cannot be machined and require replacing. Anyway in my situation they deglazed disc rotors , unfortunately the noise resurfaced after 15-20 mintues of solid driving. Seems the solution is a replacement.

Edited by ar44