ZR6 Speaker Upgrade

DKzr6

if you want a system which will give you great sound quality without breaking the bank, perhaps go for a set up like:

front: Alpine s type 6.5inch components

rear shelf: Alpine s type 6 x9's

amp: alpine mrp f300 4 channel

this will give you great bang for your buck... add dynamat for even better sound :P

but beware... audio stuff can get addictive... i thoguht i escaped the bug a few years ago, until i got the aurion, then it all started up again! :P

good luck! :)

Alpine comparing to JBL?

in which way? sorry i didnt quite pick up what you put down in your last message? If you had already chosen your speakers than that was my mistake, was just suggesting a different set up which ive heard before and sounded great.

anyway just my 2c, sorry if it didnt sit right with you mate. :unsure:

Sorry DAvo. I shouldnt be lazy and ask question properly. I havent picked any speakers yet and I was just wondering if Alpine will be better option than JBL. In my previous Camry I had Pioneer speakers and amp. I dont really know much about other brands. I've checked the setup you suggested and it looks good.

I checked eBay and prices look pretty good. I'll take a drive to local store and see if they can do better deal on the whole set.

I'll take a drive to local store and see if they can do better deal on the whole set.

That's usually a good idea as well because if you go to the right one, they will have a select range on show that you can switch between to hear how they sound like. They may have ones there you will prefer instead.

Sorry DAvo. I shouldnt be lazy and ask question properly. I havent picked any speakers yet and I was just wondering if Alpine will be better option than JBL. In my previous Camry I had Pioneer speakers and amp. I dont really know much about other brands. I've checked the setup you suggested and it looks good.

I checked eBay and prices look pretty good. I'll take a drive to local store and see if they can do better deal on the whole set.

its all good man :) relieved that i didnt offend :)

anyway yea the alpine s type set up works pretty well from what ive seen... i was looking at going the type r set up all round but gota good deal on some mb quart reference speakers... pioneer would be good as well, i think the TS-A or TS-D range sits around the type S/R level of performance?

which headunit will you be powering this set up with?

In relation to this topic http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...mp;#entry368063,

Just realizing Im a total noob with 0 experience in ICE section, what can u experts :lol: suggest with an OEM GPS HU.

I've read the review done by BlueAurionSx6 and Jaskel. Both looks good, just don't know which is better.

its all good man :) relieved that i didnt offend :)

anyway yea the alpine s type set up works pretty well from what ive seen... i was looking at going the type r set up all round but gota good deal on some mb quart reference speakers... pioneer would be good as well, i think the TS-A or TS-D range sits around the type S/R level of performance?

which headunit will you be powering this set up with?

I was planning to use THIS unit without an amp but I'm not sure if it will be enough to power the speakers.

I was planning to use THIS unit without an amp but I'm not sure if it will be enough to power the speakers.

Most head units will be able to power most car speakers. You don't need to worry about not being able to get decent sound out of your speakers just because you are running them off the head unit. It just won't power the speakers to their full potential. Adding an amplifier is a question you need to ask yourself. You can easily go by without an amplifier, but to get full value out of your speakers, running them off an amp will be ideal.

I went to the local Car Audio store and decided on the speaker setup:

Focal 165VB 6.5" component speaker set

Focal 690CVX 6X9" co-axial loudspeaker set

Soundstream LW4500 amp

STINGER EXPERT ROADKILL RKX4 SOUND DAMPING BEAT DYNAMAT just for the speakers

The guy had installed these in his car and it sounded really good.

Thanks all for the help.

Edited by czaja74

Soundstream LW4500 amp

Thanks all for the help.

Looks like a great system. Next step would be to add some subs!

Soundstream LW4500 amp

Thanks all for the help.

Nice choice with the Focals...on the subject of the 690CVX 6x9,you might have a small mod to do on the boot springs as these are a deep speaker (93mm)...anyway really nice choice mate,good luck with the install. :)

Soundstream LW4500 amp

Thanks all for the help.

Nice choice with the Focals...on the subject of the 690CVX 6x9,you might have a small mod to do on the boot springs as these are a deep speaker (93mm)...anyway really nice choice mate,good luck with the install. :)

I measured the gap between shelf and tension bars in the boot and it might be just ok. I got them fitted on Monday and hopefully all will be ok.

• 7 months later...

Soundstream LW4500 amp

Thanks all for the help.

I measured the gap between shelf and tension bars in the boot and it might be just ok. I got them fitted on Monday and hopefully all will be ok.

How did you go with the Focal 165VB 6.5" components in the front?

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys we recently upgraded the family car to a kluger so the ol' aurion is now my daily driver (read: toy) lol

to be honest i thought the stock aurion speakers is actually quite impressive (compared to other stockies I've heard of) but as with anything, there's always room for improvement and hence i'm considering a 6x9 speaker upgrade (allround) on my Prodigy.

can anybody tell me how much space is available on the doors and rear parcel shelf so that when I look at the speaker specs I can check what their mounting depth requires to ensure it won't foul against panels/trim etc?

i'm also assuming that i can hook up my new 6x9's using the existing wiring leads that is currently connected to the stock speakers (rather than using the leads that come with the new speakers)? I don't suppose they make any noticeable difference anyway since i'm not using an amp yeah?

hey guys we recently upgraded the family car to a kluger so the ol' aurion is now my daily driver (read: toy) lol

to be honest i thought the stock aurion speakers is actually quite impressive (compared to other stockies I've heard of) but as with anything, there's always room for improvement and hence i'm considering a 6x9 speaker upgrade (allround) on my Prodigy.

can anybody tell me how much space is available on the doors and rear parcel shelf so that when I look at the speaker specs I can check what their mounting depth requires to ensure it won't foul against panels/trim etc?

i'm also assuming that i can hook up my new 6x9's using the existing wiring leads that is currently connected to the stock speakers (rather than using the leads that come with the new speakers)? I don't suppose they make any noticeable difference anyway since i'm not using an amp yeah?

From memory the max depth on the Aurion front doors is about 85mm give or take a couple of mm's and the rear parcelshelf max depth is about 90mm-95mm before it touches the boot springs.

hope this helps. :)

Does anyone know where the crossover for the from speakers is? Is it somewhere on the door or is it on the tweeter?

Isn't it attached to the front tweeters?

Yes, remove the grill above the tweeters, then remove the 2 bolts holding the tweeter assembly, all will be revealed.

The speaker wires actually run from the back of the head unit, to the tweeters / crossover, then from here down to the front door speakers.

I have some pics I took during a recent upgrade I did which I can post if required.

Edited by freedy1001

Does anyone know where the crossover for the from speakers is? Is it somewhere on the door or is it on the tweeter?

Isn't it attached to the front tweeters?

Yes, remove the grill above the tweeters, then remove the 2 bolts holding the tweeter assembly, all will be revealed.

The speaker wires actually run from the back of the head unit, to the tweeters / crossover, then from here down to the front door speakers.

I have some pics I took during a recent upgrade I did which I can post if required.

pics would be nice because i'm upgrading the front speakers soon and i want to cable the 6x9 directly to the head unit.

are you going to use coaxial 6x9's? or component? If coaxial, won't that potentially cause a prob having 2 crossovers (the capacitor on the coaxial acts as a crossover), if not, surely it wouldn't be as good single one.. ?

To access the tweeters up on the dash, do you just remove that plastic grill that's about 3x3" in the corner's? (I tried but it was pretty tough, didn't want to break it - you don't have to remove the whole dash do you?)

Didn't know 6x9's come in component setups..?

If not, I think a few have used 6.5" setups, but I recall seeing pics of woofer and tweeter being mounted on a piece of MDF down on the door ...(so what, those setups have 2 tweeters? Wouldn't it be better to just change the one up top to the new aftermarket item, and only have one tweeter and one crossover?)

are you going to use coaxial 6x9's? or component? If coaxial, won't that potentially cause a prob having 2 crossovers (the capacitor on the coaxial acts as a crossover), if not, surely it wouldn't be as good single one.. ?

To access the tweeters up on the dash, do you just remove that plastic grill that's about 3x3" in the corner's? (I tried but it was pretty tough, didn't want to break it - you don't have to remove the whole dash do you?)

Didn't know 6x9's come in component setups..?

If not, I think a few have used 6.5" setups, but I recall seeing pics of woofer and tweeter being mounted on a piece of MDF down on the door ...(so what, those setups have 2 tweeters? Wouldn't it be better to just change the one up top to the new aftermarket item, and only have one tweeter and one crossover?)

I'll get the pics up in the next few days.

I used 6.5" splits, they have a crossover built into the 6.5" speaker, and a separate tweeter. So I had to run a new extra cable from the door up to the tweeter.

I completely removed the factory tweeter and crossover altogether. Then replaced this with my split tweeter.

There is a big advantage in keeping a tweeter in the dash rather than the door, that is that the staging of the sound will be significantly better.

You will feel more immersed in the music.

I also installed an amp under the passenger seat, so I had quite a bit of extra wiring to run.

Mainly from the doors to the amp, for source input and speaker return, and also power from the battery, and a remote supply wire to turn the amp on/off with the accessories supply.

Of course an amp is optional, and you will still hear big benefits just from replacing the speakers alone.

Removal of the tweeter grill cover is fairly simple and is covered elsewhere in the forum.

But basically I used a small pocket knife blade to slide down between the grill and the dash and unlatch each clip, then gently lever the grill up from the dash with the same blade.

The trick is that the cover locks in (hinges) on the windscreen side, and lifts up & out closest to you as you are sitting in the seat.

I just replaced the stock HU with an aftermarket, and boy the SQ is much improved (must be better internal amps), anyways, after close listening/panning between the rears and fronts, with a variety of tracks, honestly I'm hard pressed to say the SQ at the front's is a problem!...

Certainly the rear's are far from great, but the front's, perhaps because they do have reasonable crossover and the staging due to physical seperation, music sounds great imho, even bass is respectable thru those stock front door drivers which surprises and confuses me! (again perhaps due to separation of frequencies)

Sure, I know better speakers will be *better*, but just thought it was worth mentioning that after my HU upgrade, I'm hard pressed to observe anything lacking via the front stock setup (I have studio monitors /w high end soundcard in the house) So certainly initially anyway, think I'll only be replacing out the rear 6x9's (with likely the focal 690cvx or soundstream sst6.9)

• 3 weeks later...