NOISE FROM ENGINE BAY - SPORTIVO

Hi Guys,

Recently I have noticed that I heard a weird chain sound form the engine bay when the car is running between 1200-1800 rpm.

I know it is normal to hear a vibration noise if the engine is lack of power, but i also hear this chain sound when the gear is engaged and the acceletor is down to around 2nd or thrid gear.

I send the car back to toyata dealer and they said its normal. But when I took my car to the mechanics, they think it can be timing problems with the car.

So any suggestions?

hmmmm, i can't really recall mine making noises like that. I'd say toyota's saying its normal simply cause they probably don't wanna go through the hassle of fixing it!

Is your car under warranty with toyota? i reckon if there is a problem, go to a few mechanics,get a written opinion, then take it all to toyota and DEMAND that they fix the problem, not just shove it off.

Chris

2ZZ-GE's utilise a timing chain rather than a belt which makes the car sound rather deisel-like when running. At the end of the day, you know your car best, if you think something sounds out of the ordinary, insist on it being checked out. It's under warranty so it's your right to get it fixed.

Cheers :)

2zzges arent exactly quite, could just be the vvti, it generally make a low ticking like sound at idle.

I think its the vsv you hear ticking away at idle. I'd be concerned if the vvti made ticking noises :D

2zzges arent exactly quite, could just be the vvti, it generally make a low ticking like sound at idle.

I think its the vsv you hear ticking away at idle. I'd be concerned if the vvti made ticking noises :D

I dunno, thats what toyota told me. But they all sound like dat.

Guys the noise only happened when:

1. when any gear is engaged

2. between (1000-1800 rpm)

3. When my right foot is on the accelerator pedal (on full throttle)

I dont think its the engine problem, cos when the gear is not engaged, there is no noise.

***, I have already booked a time for service next week. If they cant fix it, I will lodge a complain to toyota directly.

Guys... By the way...

The guy I talked on the phone, when I told him that I was revving the car above 7000rpm and see any problem, he said I shouldnt be doing it and it will cause damage on the rings and pistons.

Lot of crap.... as Toyota claimed the max power at 7800 rpm.

If they cant fix my car, I will seriously lodge a huge complain.

Guys, do you know anyone can help me with this.

I heard ppl been talking about dealers they rip ppl off when they service and fixing cars.

Guys... By the way...

The guy I talked on the phone, when I told him that I was revving the car above 7000rpm and see any problem, he said I shouldnt be doing it and it will cause damage on the rings and pistons.

Lot of crap.... as Toyota claimed the max power at 7800 rpm.

If they cant fix my car, I will seriously lodge a huge complain.

Guys, do you know anyone can help me with this.

I heard ppl been talking about dealers they rip ppl off when they service and fixing cars.

The mechanic either doesn't know you have the sportivo or doesn't know about the 2ZZ (which is kind of stupid IMO)

Just tell him it's the one that Toyota marketed as having 141Kw with a 8600rpm rev limit and high lift cams that kick in at ~6000rpm. :o

It's normal, it's just the clutch and flywheel working hard because you aren't using enough revs and it's almost stalling.

Blip the throttle a bit and it will be all good, you can't drive this car like an auto...

It's normal, it's just the clutch and flywheel working hard because you aren't using enough revs and it's almost stalling.

Blip the throttle a bit and it will be all good, you can't drive this car like an auto...

aggreeeeeeeeeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she loves to rev and gets awsome fuel consumption so why bother with keeping the revs so low .... it almost seems like the tacho is incorrect (for example 2,000 revs in a honda civic is equivalent to like 3,000 in our sportivo)

drive her like she is sposed to be driven !! :)

she loves to rev and gets awsome fuel consumption so why bother with keeping the revs so low .... it almost seems like the tacho is incorrect (for example 2,000 revs in a honda civic is equivalent to like 3,000 in our sportivo)

stole the words out of my mouth...

coudn't agree anymore with you.

It's got nothing to do with driving the car hard, it's to do with the fact that these cars don't like to have pressure through the drive train when the revs are below 2000 RPM. The 'sweet spot' for 'everyday driving' is between ~2200 and 4500. My car never falls bellow 2000 rpm when on the street if I can help it. This is one reason why the car is not ideal for stop-start traffic as has been a criticism often mentioned by a particular Melbourne member.

Guys,

The noise never happened before when I had the car, it was only noticable for the last 1-2 months.

Not sure, but it would be glad if you guys have a next meet ups in melb so you can check it out. (anyone) cos I am new to the forum and i only brought the car 6 months ago.

Just wondering what size are the standard speakers, cos i ll be upgrading my sound system.

thanks

P.S. By the way, my previous car didnt have this chain sound noise at all..

can you reproduce the noise when the car is stationary? eg, car in neutral, foot off clutch

Is the noise only present when the car has "no power"?

Guys,

It only happened when,

The car is in gear

Throttle is down

1000-1800 rpm

However, when I took it to the dealer, the car didnt make the noise, guess the car is warmed up,

I dont know, but they keep on making statements that I shouldnt rev the car above 700rpm, it can crack the pistons.

But I left the car there, I told them to check the timing and hopefully when i pick up the car today, everything is good.

Ive noticed a rattle of some sort when i start the car up for the first time in the morning or when ive left the car parked for several hours outside. The noise sounds like its coming from underneath the car not from the engine bay. My clutch is on its way out but it sounds more of an exhaust type of noise (exhaust loose or something inside the exhaust loose), not sure if anyone has had this problem

Ive noticed a rattle of some sort when i start the car up for the first time in the morning or when ive left the car parked for several hours outside. The noise sounds like its coming from underneath the car not from the engine bay. My clutch is on its way out but it sounds more of an exhaust type of noise (exhaust loose or something inside the exhaust loose), not sure if anyone has had this problem

Hey man. I've got exactly the same issue. I've taken it to the exhaust shop and there doesn't seem to be any physical damage to the exhaust. It sounds like the exhaust is knocking against something. I can't get under my car to look because it's too low.

Thanks guys,

For some reason, the noise didnt appear at all when the car is fully warmed up, like driving for 1/2 hr.

Maybe I am just a paranoid person, but i like picking up things like that.

Maybe someone here can help or we should collect this issue with other fellow sportivo ppl and let toyota know

My car makes a million noises and rattles but it hasn't exploded yet :blink:

excellent jimmy ..... ur well on ur way ..... im @ a billion noises and counting .......

It sounds like it is gear train chatter. you are driving in a taller gear at low rpm at a slower speed and you get what they call gear chatter. my car did it and so has most sportivo's i have driven.

As for whoever said toyota had quoted the 2ZZ had a 8600rpm limit with 141kw.... you need to check your facts as someone is telling you porkies........

As for rattles and noises you guys haven't heard rattles and noises till you have driven in my Civic LOL(Hey Northy!!)

As for whoever said toyota had quoted the 2ZZ had a 8600rpm limit with 141kw.... you need to check your facts as someone is telling you porkies

Ooops. I should have said 8200rpm :huh: . However, Toyota did market the 2ZZ to make 141Kw - that was at the center of the whole South African contraversy. My point was that Toyota techs have been quoted on many occassion to say that we should not be revving the car past 6rpm....blah blah blah. Anyway, this has been covered many times so i'll leave it at that.