'Slamming' into 2nd gear at 8000 revs

Vhao

hey all,

im having these issues with my new stivo. I used to have a 05 stivo with low kms and 'slamming' into second gear was not a problem. Now ive got an 04 stivo with 60 000km on the clock. I have troubles shifting from 1st to 2nd in high revs (8000) and i dont know why. i know that toyotas are known for their sh*t gear boxes...

is it because the previous owner f*ked up 2nd gear?

or some sought of clutch adjustment? the recall?

how can i fix this problem?

its like i have to wait half a second then shift or else it wont let me into second!!

i hate it and its really annoying. =/

any help would be appreciated

cheers lads.

Edited by Vhao

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey all,

im having these issues with my new stivo. I used to have a 05 stivo with low kms and 'slamming' into second gear was not a problem. Now ive got an 04 stivo with 60 000km on the clock. I have troubles shifting from 1st to 2nd in high revs (8000) and i dont know why. i know that toyotas are known for their sh*t gear boxes...

is it because the previous owner f*ked up 2nd gear?

or some sought of clutch adjustment? the recall?

how can i fix this problem?

its like i have to wait half a second then shift or else it wont let me into second!!

i hate it and its really annoying. =/

any help would be appreciated

cheers lads.

I got a mate with a 05 stivo hes got the same sorta problem. he has to wait till his revs drop under the lift revs. so he's gotta wait till the revs drop under 6400revs to get it into 2nd gear when changin from 1st. there is no crunching sound or anything. he had a clutch adjustment from toyota and the problem came back after a few weeks of lift.

i had the same problem i have a 05 stivo i took it in to toytoa after a few people told me to get the clutch Hight adjusted and i did and now i can slam 2nds and 3rds :yahoo:

i took mine to toyota in Hurstville its a common problem with all stivos hope this helps :)

Edited by bLk-StIvO

adjust the clutch master pushrod and hope you've not destroyed your synchro 'slamming' the gear.

yeah agree! mines going in for this adjustment! although my gears dont grind when changing in lift

oh nah, mine doesnt too...jsut doesnt let me quick shift i guess =/

im guessing ur taking it to castle hill toyota?

double clutch dude it works!

Well my history is at castle hill.

but because i can get a discount through work i might do it at pennant hills toyota.

but well see

I've experienced this in a few decent power front wheel drives already, when you put in the clutch the main drive shaft in the box is still spinning at 1st gears ratio to the wheels and if you released the clutch while still powering on it spins even faster which produces a shaft rotation way too fast to synch 2nd this is the reason it grinds or just plain old won't let you in.

Double clutching grab's the shaft while in neutral bringing the shaft speed back into normal engine range.

Most likely the gear box and ratio's were designed for more factory spec'ed vehicles but due to the power tolerance they showed they were used in the upper spec machines as well.

Double clutching is simply applying the clutch, shifting out of gear to neutral, release the clutch and while in neutral blip the throttle, apply the clutch again and shift into gear. I learnt to drive in a morris 1100 bush basher around 4km dirt race track in my friends back yard, he had 50 acres and the track looped back and forth around the property. Synchro technology was not what it is today and the box only meshed from 1st to 2nd every other gear was a definite double clutch or you'd break your wrist.

Edited by Rosegum

just some warning. dont skip gears! it ******s up the syncros etc.

if you in 5th gear down to 4th,3rd, 2nd.

I've gone from 4th to 2nd and 5th to 3rd for yonks dude lol. The car has it's 50,000km birthday soon and the gearbox is still fine. If anything it needs new gearbox oil.

Just don't treat your gearbox like a roll of toilet paper and it'll be fine imo lol.

I've gone from 4th to 2nd and 5th to 3rd for yonks dude lol. The car has it's 50,000km birthday soon and the gearbox is still fine. If anything it needs new gearbox oil.

Just don't treat your gearbox like a roll of toilet paper and it'll be fine imo lol.

As you should be able too. New boxes are designed with synchro's on all cogs, so the box can shift between any gear any time, as long as the engine rev and the box shaft rev are in safe ranges.

Automobile longevity is completely upto the drivers skill and level of intelligence.

Edited by Rosegum

hey all,

ive got a similar problem when im in 3rd gear and im down gearing it into 2nd gear at over 50 km it crunchies hard, is this normal or it shouldnt happen or i should be waiting til the revs drop to put into 2nd gear. To avoid this crunch i wait til the it drops below 50km then i put into 2nd gear but i hate waiting and i do this to try to save my brakes. any thoughts guys.

eddie

Edited by edztasy

hey all,

ive got a similar problem when im in 3rd gear and im down gearing it into 2nd gear at over 5000 revs it crunchies hard, is this normal or it shouldnt happen or i should be waiting til the revs drop to put into 2nd gear. To avoid this crunch i wait til the revs drop just below 5000 then i put into 2nd gear but i hate waiting and i do this to try to save my brakes. any thoughts guys.

eddie

well im not a professor on gear boxes but i kno a few things about them. correct me if im wrong people but u shoudnt put it into 2nd gear while ur revs are above 5000. it will reduce the life of your cltuch rapidly. try matching the revs when your gonna put it into 2nd gear and it might not crunch. and people i know we should use the gears to slow down also but i only try to use 3rd gear to slow down. brake components are cheaper then gearbox parts so i try to stick by that. thats just my style of driving.

still not good bro!

i used to do it all the time say from 4th into 6th and cruise. or 3rd into 5th. not any more.

still not good bro!

i used to do it all the time say from 4th into 6th and cruise. or 3rd into 5th. not any more.

Upshifting? Ah, I was under the impression that you were saying "skipping down a gear is bad". Going from 4th to 6th is just frustrating for me due to the ratios. It makes more sense to keep the revs up. I will occasionally go from, say, 4th to 2nd though. Sometimes it just makes sense to.