Drive By Wire Corollas

$ANGELO$

hey guys just got a few questions for those who know about the driveby wire models.. i have an 06 Corolla Sedan and was just wondering what aftermarket ECU's are available and will work with the DBW, have done a search and have found alot of info but does it apply to the DBW 1zz-fe??

Secondly i have the TRD CAI and has been sitting in my room collecting dust, had a bit of free time today so decided to sus it out and realised i have bit of a problem..

in the pic below the front hose coming from the rocker cover next to the oil cap goes to the air intake pipe and connects in after the throttle body.. im pretty sure on previous model corollas it is part of or connects into the throttle body? what does this hose do?? any ideas to over come this problem?? might have to make up some kind of adaptor..

image027ro3.jpg

any info or comments would be great!

Cheers Angelo

The pipe is be a breather hose for the cam-cover. Part of the emissions control package on many cars since the early 80s. It can be removed (and blocked off), but a better option is to re-route the pipe to a oil catch can, which will filter out the oil in the mist and return relatively clean air back to the intake.

You wont want to block off that breather.... unless you like blowing oil past the engine seals etc.

For the hose, you could buy one of the plastic tubes designed to be fitted into rubber inlet pipes, and fit it to the black rubber elbow. Another solution is to have a tube welded to the alloy intake for the hose to connect to. Third solution is to sell the TRD intake and have a new intake made specifically for your car.

Edited by rollamods

You wont want to block off that breather.... unless you like blowing oil past the engine seals etc.

For the hose, you could buy one of the plastic tubes designed to be fitted into rubber inlet pipes, and fit it to the black rubber elbow. Another solution is to have a tube welded to the alloy intake for the hose to connect to. Third solution is to sell the TRD intake and have a new intake made specifically for your car.

thanks for comments guys!

yeh i should of had one made earlier didnt realy think about it. i can weld a pipe on myself but dont have a tig at home so will need to get it done else where the only thing is it will ruin the paint work a bit..

Thanks again for the pic Northy also the ones you sent earlier :whistling:

and1 will let you know if i decide to sell :rolleyes:

Hey guys,

just got my hands on a CES CAI for the 1zz-fe..

and as you said Angelo "the breather pipe, on previous model rollas, is on the throttle body", well for the facelift rollas its exactly that.. and I'm wondering... should I block off the pipe on the CAI (in Northy's pic), and leave the hose connected to the breather pipe on the throttle body ? from wat I see I dont think it should really matter..

also, I tried installing the CAI but then found out that the rubber tubing is too small and won't fit onto the throttle body..

is there something i missed out during the install process ?

or is the only alternative buying a bigger rubber tube ?

anyone with any input appreciated!

David

The pipe is be a breather hose for the cam-cover. Part of the emissions control package on many cars since the early 80s. It can be removed (and blocked off), but a better option is to re-route the pipe to a oil catch can, which will filter out the oil in the mist and return relatively clean air back to the intake.

Good!

This is exactly what I've made on my rolla :lol:

$ANGELO$ your engine will thank you!!

Hey guys,

and as you said Angelo "the breather pipe, on previous model rollas, is on the throttle body", well for the facelift rollas its exactly that.. and I'm wondering... should I block off the pipe on the CAI (in Northy's pic), and leave the hose connected to the breather pipe on the throttle body ? from wat I see I dont think it should really matter..

also, I tried installing the CAI but then found out that the rubber tubing is too small and won't fit onto the throttle body..

David

hold up so you car is not drive by wire but the CAI you have is like nortys pic??

block off the pipe on the CAI just leave the breather going to the throttle body

if we lived closer we could of swapped CAIs

Good!

This is exactly what I've made on my rolla :lol:

$ANGELO$ your engine will thank you!!

i was thinking about it might do it soon.. do you have any pics of your install??

i was thinking about it might do it soon.. do you have any pics of your install??

1. Remove the hose from PCV

pcvnr2.jpg

2. Insert a new hose to the PCV that will enter on the Oil Catch Tank

pict0494cv2.jpg

3. Insert in the tank a metallic grill (optional) to withold the blow-by gas

pict0500ge7.jpg

4. Fix the OCT on the engine bay (I have fixed rear to the radiator)

Insert in enter to the OCT the hose from the PCV and in exit to the OCT the hose that re-enter on the engine. (you can re-use the original PCV hose)

Words in italian but you would have to understand :P

pict0496ny5.jpg

Edited by Just

Hey guys,

David

hold up so you car is not drive by wire but the CAI you have is like nortys pic??

block off the pipe on the CAI just leave the breather going to the throttle body

yep i blocked that pipe off.. CAI is in the car now.. ! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hey guys,

David

yep i blocked that pipe off.. CAI is in the car now.. ! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Hi bro,

how much did you pay for ces cai?

1. Remove the hose from PCV

pcvnr2.jpg

2. Insert a new hose to the PCV that will enter on the Oil Catch Tank

pict0494cv2.jpg

3. Insert in the tank a metallic grill (optional) to withold the blow-by gas

pict0500ge7.jpg

4. Fix the OCT on the engine bay (I have fixed rear to the radiator)

Insert in enter to the OCT the hose from the PCV and in exit to the OCT the hose that re-enter on the engine. (you can re-use the original PCV hose)

Words in italian but you would have to understand :P

pict0496ny5.jpg

haha thank you for that was not expecting this much detail.. sì capisco