Coilovers

b3e b0y

hey guys!

just needed some help, was goin to get pedders springs to lower the car however i noticed a couple of you had coilovers, i know they are a lot more pricey than the springs so just wanted some inputs on coilovers before i go ordering some....

who has em? and just pros and cons of them?

cheers guys!

b3e

• 10 months later...
Cusco Zero 2 FTW! The only way to get better is by going DMS (or so I hear).

But if you don't track your car may as well go for the Zero 1 as they are cheaper. Tein have a lower spring rate so are a bit more comfortable for daily driving.

A lot of members go for Cusco as compare to Teins ....

Any reason why? Do Teins tend to leak? Are they inferior in quality compare to Cusco?

Why Cusco and why not Teins?

Cusco Zero 2 FTW! The only way to get better is by going DMS (or so I hear).

But if you don't track your car may as well go for the Zero 1 as they are cheaper. Tein have a lower spring rate so are a bit more comfortable for daily driving.

Any reason why? Do Teins tend to leak? Are they inferior in quality compare to Cusco?

I think its because the Teins are a bit softer, but i cant comment as i dont have coilies :(

Of course having rock hard suspension is just awesome. Wheels and tyres make awesome shock absorbers, I'm suprised no one has caught on to this yet. The TEIN's at least are ADR approved from what I've been told. I've also read that you can be defected with Cusco's / DPoo's / GPoor's etc, because they aren't approved (contacted the RTA regarding this in a follow up call).

Having soft suspension of course makes the car handle really really bad anyway. Who wants to go around a corner when you can skip around it and look all 'fully'?

I'll buy any suspension setup, as long as it's hektik and makes the Ganga's boobs bounce in the back seat when I'm out cruising!

Reason being because the only option is the lower spec series. Tein do make good track coilovers, just none that will fit the Corolla.

If your not planning on going to the track often, koni's and springs are all you need.

I've been told the Cusco's aren't ADR-ed too, funny the Teins apparently are :lol: even though they have the same construction :rolleyes:

You can obivously adjust the height and damper settings on coilovers, so thats a plus!

The Teins are great for the street from what i've been told. You can also get them rebuilt and repaired here in Oz. It just depends on what you want to do with your car?

The cheaper brands are all the same, i hear. All be it with different colours and stickers

And, i have to say before i go...........

CUSCO ZERO-2 ARE THE GREATEST!!!! :toast::toast::toast::toast:

any coilover which doesnt have a dual spindle locking mechanism for height adjusting isnt ADR approved ..... that pretty much rules out all the cheaper brands ..... i cant remember any of the other rules regarding sussy ......

the cusco's do have this as well as the tiens from memory ..... first i hear that that cusco's arent ADR approved ..... any reference to the material and which ADR ruling they are in breach of ? ive looked through the sussy rulings and nothing stands out at me as to why they wouldnt be ...... and if someone simply said to you "they arent ADR approved" can you seek more info because as i said ADR are hundreds of pages of rules and it would help if they could narrow it down ..... and if they cant then 99% of the time that person is just full of Sh*t

Of course having rock hard suspension is just awesome. Wheels and tyres make awesome shock absorbers, I'm suprised no one has caught on to this yet. The TEIN's at least are ADR approved from what I've been told. I've also read that you can be defected with Cusco's / DPoo's / GPoor's etc, because they aren't approved (contacted the RTA regarding this in a follow up call).

Having soft suspension of course makes the car handle really really bad anyway. Who wants to go around a corner when you can skip around it and look all 'fully'?

I'll buy any suspension setup, as long as it's hektik and makes the Ganga's boobs bounce in the back seat when I'm out cruising!

What are you on about? :blink:

Come on Dave, I know you like the boobs (specifically the JDM ones like RedDave).

I have lowered springs and new shockies and its fine, not to bumpy and handles awesome. Cant see the point in having coil overs if its just a street car personally, but hey, thats just my opinion :P

Lots of sarcasm and obviously not a fan of Coilovers for the street. lol

If you can handle the 'hectic' ride then why not I suppose. But remember the more stiff it is, the more stress is transferred to your cars chassis as well. Unless of course you drive on super nice road most of the time.

Come on Dave, I know you like the boobs (specifically the JDM ones like RedDave).

Welcome back nelson :D forgot it was you.

Lots of sarcasm and obviously not a fan of Coilovers for the street. lol

If you can handle the 'hectic' ride then why not I suppose. But remember the more stiff it is, the more stress is transferred to your cars chassis as well. Unless of course you drive on super nice road most of the time.

Thats an excuse to add a cage to hold the old girl together! ;)

The Cusco's and the Tein's I'm sure would be fine for the roads (the Teins are even rubber mounted, like the Spec S Cusco's).

Speaking of which, the Spec S Cusco's don't get much of a mention on here. I would have thought those to be the ideal street coilover from the Cusco range, unless they aren't made for the ZZE.

At the end of the day though, it's not about how the car handles, it's about how sik you can look with your ride slammed uleh! Make sparks bra!

• 1 month later...

having some headache here, trying to get my aurion lowered, but stuck with choices.

Either the cheaper way, king or pedders..

or the coilovers, KSport, D2, Megan.. not sure which set should i get..

so i need some suggestion on which choice(spring or coil) provide a better ride quality(comfy), and last longer than my springs on camry(after 40k km, changing shock)

You will hate yourself cheapening out on suspension, a vital part of your vehicles performance and safety.

It all depends on your application.

For a daily with no intention to track the Tein Super wagons are perfect, I don't know how you could get anything stiffer especially on our roads.

If you intend to track your car also, I would reco Cusco Zero2. Good for street also but owns on the smooth.

Edited by TRDYUS