Tuners

Zeus

Some of you may know that I was trying to find the OEM cassette deck for my Camry, but I have decided to give up looking. So now I'm thinking of just getting a nicely matching custom tuner. I'm interested in the Kenwood KDC-237G, but I'm not sure how to tell if it will fit in my car. Are all custom tuners the same with the sockets and all? Do they fit in most cars?

post-5043-1192056750_thumb.jpg

usally all headunit are the same size. That headunit should come with a wiring harness made for the headunit. Then you can either buy an adaptor for your car or cut off the old plug that went into your old radio and just connect all the wires up.

the headunit will come with the wiring harness that goes into the back of the headunit with bare wire at the other end so you will have to buy and adaptor but if your getting it professionally install i would assume that would be included in the bill. As for the cost of the install i wouldn't have a clue becasue i just do it my self, sorry i can't be of help.

Installs of h/u usually cost $100

its not a hard diy... relatively a easy thing to do yourself... just buy the toyota to kenwood adapter plug and its just plug and play... ps remove your battery negative terminal when working with wires... juat in case...

let us know how you go...

while ur at it replacing the 6x9 speakers in the rear shelf are really really worth doing to enjoy the new found sound...

Now thats what i like about toyota owners... people helping people!! :lol:

Big Pete i take my hat off to you!

Zeus... Pete's right it is quite an easy job... while ur doing it i strongly suggest you upgrade your rear 6x9 speakers... :spiteful:

Zeus... Pete's right it is quite an easy job... while ur doing it i strongly suggest you upgrade your rear 6x9 speakers... :spiteful:

yea it is quite an easy job. however when i replaced mine, i found 3 plugs connecting into my original toyota fugiten (its the dual deck one with cd player and cassette)

i found out that 1 was for the power and front 4 speakers (the front components tweeter and bass) and 1 was for the rear 6x9's and power antenna. the remaining one i have NO IDEA. my head unit only has space for 2 plugs.

could it be security of some sort? ive installed and the car is normal, been driving for around 2mths. so i still dont know what that last plug is for.m anyone an expert here?

• 1 year later...

yea it is quite an easy job. however when i replaced mine, i found 3 plugs connecting into my original toyota fugiten (its the dual deck one with cd player and cassette)

i found out that 1 was for the power and front 4 speakers (the front components tweeter and bass) and 1 was for the rear 6x9's and power antenna. the remaining one i have NO IDEA. my head unit only has space for 2 plugs.

could it be security of some sort? ive installed and the car is normal, been driving for around 2mths. so i still dont know what that last plug is for.m anyone an expert here?

Im no expert but maybe the 3rd wire could be an earth plug?(ground)

Just a suggestion , but if it aint fixing it aint broke ;)

Im no expert but maybe the 3rd wire could be an earth plug?(ground)

Just a suggestion , but if it aint fixing it aint broke ;)

yea i found that out the hard way LOL. because its the earth plug, everytime i get out of the car, i try not to touch the metal on the door areas LOL.

try is the word.

i would get a static shock, and sometimes its really, really bad, others its barely noticable.

nothing i can do about it seeing my sony headunit only has space for 2 plugs and not 3, unless i customly attach the ground wire to one of them....which im lazy to do.

you can buy kits from autobarn that do OEM (toyota) > Maker of your Head-deck ( kenwood, sony....) it makes for a very fast install if you wanna use the stock speakers. ~$40 from memory and well worth it for the sparky challenged

• 2 weeks later...

contact the previous owner of the car

i had a 92 celica, and the stereo code for that was the last 4 digits of the original owners phone number. so best to try the previous owners than risk locking the stereo

• 3 weeks later...
I think it will cost around $28 and about 1/2 hour to have it de-coded at a Toyota dealer.

Really? All we used to have to do to get radio codes was ring the dealer up with the VIN.

toyota codes are customer input, not factory . if you can't get the code from the previous owner try the last three digits in the vin.

if that don't work go to a dealer to have it decoded.