The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

I would like to know why my Internet is slow, no me and bro haven't download anything, only surf the net and that's all. We also planning to get a new Internet provider to but not sure what's good out there, any one has a good Internet provider that it's worth the money and unlimited dl etc thanks :)

Can be many reasons for this, the most annoying of which can be poor line quality. The most common cause is the limit of data has been exceeded but in this case I doubt it. Some more details would be good. As in plan, speed, download limit, whether or not uploads are included. If it is a problem with the infrastructure the ISP you are with will need to fix this.

I'm not to sure, I'm not even know much on computers and the jagon behind all this. My bro happen to call telstra a few days back due to that we have two phone lines one for net and other for home. Silly how my bro got rid of the old net plan we haf with unlimited net uses plus no problem until this "wireless" came, haven't been on my desktop due to the pages of webpages I'm browzing it takes ages to load, instead I'm using my iPod touch which it's alright yet still slow. Anyway, saw an ad from optus on tv regarding to Internet bundle, *thinking* if it's a good deal or not. Thanks for listening :) have a great weekend everyone :D

I would like to know why my Internet is slow, no me and bro haven't download anything, only surf the net and that's all. We also planning to get a new Internet provider to but not sure what's good out there, any one has a good Internet provider that it's worth the money and unlimited dl etc thanks :)

The speed depends how far you are from the internet exchange. 3 zones - red, yellow and green. red is closest, yellow is middle and green is furthest. You can check with the provider as to which zone you are in.

Also it can be the cabling from your house to the exchange. Had a friend whos internet cable was owned by Telstra where there was a fault in the cabling and got it fixed. Increased his speed x3.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

I'm not to sure, I'm not even know much on computers and the jagon behind all this. My bro happen to call telstra a few days back due to that we have two phone lines one for net and other for home. Silly how my bro got rid of the old net plan we haf with unlimited net uses plus no problem until this "wireless" came, haven't been on my desktop due to the pages of webpages I'm browzing it takes ages to load, instead I'm using my iPod touch which it's alright yet still slow. Anyway, saw an ad from optus on tv regarding to Internet bundle, *thinking* if it's a good deal or not. Thanks for listening :) have a great weekend everyone :D

No worries, if your looking at plans I'd suggest checking this site out http://whirlpool.net.au/ as you can check if the ISP is available in your area, and set different download limits and such. I use this site all the time to check if I'm on the best current plan, I don't like locking into a long contract as technology always improves.

Umm, just wondering if your on fixed line broadband or wireless? My guess is fixed line with a wi-fi modem. But if your on wireless I've known it to be rather slow and can have intermittent issues in trying to connect

Actually your right it has a wi -fi modem and that I'd say it drives me insane. But I'm not sure what's wrong with it, try switching it of the main power than on again in an hr, still it's slow. Feels like dial up >.< only I haven't got around to shouting at my bro on getting the net fix yet. I'm thinking of doing that but same time he pays for it so I'll keep my angryment away from him lol.

The other thing I try was checking to see if the phone line is plug in place and check if any cable might be unplug in the walk etc. And that phone doesn't ring out or allow calls get in.

Thanks :) for that site, I'll check it soon, and give it to my bro and see it for himself and hope he either cancel this provider or fix it or simple go for optus :)

I'll let you know the outcome soon, once again, thanks benji4138 :)

The other thing I try was checking to see if the phone line is plug in place and check if any cable might be unplug in the walk etc. And that phone doesn't ring out or allow calls get in.

Hmm, is the phone getting any dial tone on the line that the modem is plugged into?

One way to test to see if filters are causing an issue is to unplug everything from the phone lines, then just plugging the modem in and seeing if that helps. If there is no difference then it is not your equipment and is the ISP's infrastructure. It's always good to eliminate your equipment as the cause because if a service guy/girl comes out to fix the infrastructure and finds it is your equipment they'll charge a hefty fee, which is never good

Your very welcome, I used to work in Internet Tech support :)

Having taken so much information off this site it feels good to be inputting some of my own back into it :D

hey i have a WD "my passport SE ultra portable hard drive 750gb" and for some reason the hdd loads up on the computer but when i connect the hdd to the laptop the hard drive doesnt load up anymore. does anyone know what is wrong with my hdd and how to fix it? thanks

hey i have a WD "my passport SE ultra portable hard drive 750gb" and for some reason the hdd loads up on the computer but when i connect the hdd to the laptop the hard drive doesnt load up anymore. does anyone know what is wrong with my hdd and how to fix it? thanks

Hmm, that seems odd. Have you tried other ports on the laptop? Or is it a Sata connection? Guessing it's a usb connection though

Hmm, that seems odd. Have you tried other ports on the laptop? Or is it a Sata connection? Guessing it's a usb connection though

yes i have tried all 3 usb ports on the laptop... yes it is a usb connection (external 2.5" hdd)

yes i have tried all 3 usb ports on the laptop... yes it is a usb connection (external 2.5" hdd)

Hmm, guess I'm not much help on this then, lol

Have to wait for a guy that's good with hardware to respond. Only thing I can think of is googling it, but you've probably done this with not much luck

guys, how lighter a flywheel has to be to make a notable difference? (this is for the 2zzge corolla sportivo)

i have a chromoly flywheel which is 5.3kg which is 0.7kg lighter than the stock (6.1kg). in percentage it would be 13.11% lighter...

the lightened chromoly flywheel is 4.6kg which is 1.3kg lighter. in percentage it is 24.59% lighter...

trying to look around google and see but not returning with very good answers... :(

cheers guys

Are you using the short (15cm) USB cable that came with the drive, or a generic longer USB cable? We use these drives on a nearly daily basis and have concluded that they are very sensitive to the power they receive. Most generic USB cables of about a metre in length tend to prevent these drives from working on some computers, depending on the computer's hardware. A solution we have found is to always use the short 15cm cable that came with the drive or if using a longer cable, a thicker gauge USB cable (preferably with a y-split on the USB-A side for extra power) will also do the trick.

Are you using the short (15cm) USB cable that came with the drive, or a generic longer USB cable? We use these drives on a nearly daily basis and have concluded that they are very sensitive to the power they receive. Most generic USB cables of about a metre in length tend to prevent these drives from working on some computers, depending on the computer's hardware. A solution we have found is to always use the short 15cm cable that came with the drive or if using a longer cable, a thicker gauge USB cable (preferably with a y-split on the USB-A side for extra power) will also do the trick.

im using the usb cable(WesternDIgital) that came with the hdd( though it is about 45cm long) the hdd with the stock cable use to work all the time when connected to the laptop but for some reason now when the hdd is connected to the laptop it doesnt load anymore.

Edited by EK1

im using the usb cable(WesternDIgital) that came with the hdd( though it is about 40cm long) the hdd with the stock cable use to work all the time when connected to the laptop but for some reason now when the hdd is connected to the laptop it doesnt load anymore.

If you could get your hands on another cable to try out, that would be a good step to try. You wouldn't think it could happen, but the cable can degrade as well (most likely at the connector though). When you consider that a laptop can sometimes be more limited on the USB 5v output, the quality of the cable/connection can make a difference. The mini-USB connectors are good at going bad after many connections/disconnections and the move to the micro-USB connectors on these WD drives helped to resolve that, but they can still wear down.

A lot of older laptops don't have fully-powered USB ports either (ie they have enough to power a mouse or keyboard, but not enough for a full hard drive or external optical drive), so external hard drives etc often need their own separate power brick + cable.

My turn for a stupid one...last week i got my new chainsaw boots i ordered from Italy ($450 :( ) have worn them twice,problem is they have given me a blister on the back of both feet,i've never had shoe/boot blisters before and was wondering whats a good tried & tested healing method?

my main reason for asking is i can't return the boots for credit as they are now used so i will have to grin and bear it as i'm wearing them in,and yeah they do fit properly but just need breaking in as they are a very strongly built boot with heaps of ankle support and of course chainsaw proof.

Thanks

Lee.....aka Mr Sore feet

With my orienteering shoes (actually touch-footy boots, I couldn't get proper cross-country shoes in my size), I got terrible blisters on my achilles because it would rub through the socks, I fixed it by first wearing double-socks (made the fit a bit tight though), then by using gauze pads (the sort you remove make-up with) combined with ankle-strapping (I needed the strapping anyway), that provided enough protection so that my skin no longer rubbed and blistered.

I'd try the double-sock method first, only problem with it is that you might end up stretching the boots a bit (especially if they're leather), which means you'd always need to wear double socks. Other than that, make sure that they're laced tight and all the way up, the key is to minimise relative movement between your foot and the boot.

Cheers Hiro...i wore 2 pair of socks the 1st day and blistered and band aids and 1 pair of socks the 2nd day and just blisterd more,but your idea on the gauze/makeup removal pads and some strapping has got me thinking of raiding the missus bathroom to see what she has tucked away.

Thanks mate :D

@ Benji4138 my Internet it's back in full speed :) my bro fix it, I've no idea what he did thou but now it's all clear, he check that site that you recommend and fix it somehow *does the rain dance* :) thanks to u with the help and that site to :)

@ Benji4138 my Internet it's back in full speed :) my bro fix it, I've no idea what he did thou but now it's all clear, he check that site that you recommend and fix it somehow *does the rain dance* :) thanks to u with the help and that site to :)

Nice one, not sure what he did either, anywho it's always a good site to have in the favourites. Please no more rain dancing.....I think we got enough rain :)

• 2 weeks later...

Torque wrench question: regardless of whether you get a bi directional one or not; does a torque wrench help you tighten/loosen a nut (multiply your applied force) or does it just prevent overtightening of nuts?