The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

Castrol Super Dot 4 is fine but you are willing to spend the extra money then get Penrite SIN brake fluid.

YES this is what im eyeing! :D 25% discount SCA FTW! :clap:

I enquired with the local SA transport people here, and they said that all I had to do was fill out the forms they gave me, pay the money and they'd give me new SA plates to put on the car and it would be registered here. I thought, perfect, wait until I've got the money, go in with the paperwork, pay for my new plates, throw them in my backpack, head back to Melbourne, put them on the car (so it's registered again) and drive it back home. However, I've been told by my partners mum (who works for toyota here in town) that they'll need to inspect the vehicle before they issue new plates for it. In which case I'd have to pay the vic rego just to get it back here.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Just pay the rego in Vic. Drive around SA till rego nearly out again. Pretty sure you will need an inspection to change states.

That's sort of what I would suggest too. Except when you get to SA, change your registration over and cancel your Victorian registration and claim back your remaining rego.

They don't always inspect the vehicle (well in QLD anyways) but you should be prepared to present it for inspection if they do request it. That's usually for new registrations though. In your case, the Transport SA website sums it up nicely:

Registering an interstate vehicle

Unless you hold a current interstate registration certificate in exactly the same name as the intended South Australian registration the vehicle must have a vehicle inspection to confirm the correct identity of the vehicle.

After the vehicle has been inspected you can provide the following information to a Service SA customer service centre:

- Your completed application for registration and third party insurance and your inspection certificate

- Evidence of identity if you have not previously been issued a licence or registered a vehicle in South Australia

- Payment of fees. You can use the EzyReg fee calculator . To avoid paying stamp duty you will need to produce the interstate registration certificate showing the vehicle was registered in your name.

After you have registered the vehicle in South Australia you can apply to the state where the vehicle was previously registered for a refund of registration fees.

Castrol Super Dot 4 is fine but you are willing to spend the extra money then get Penrite SIN brake fluid.

I've been using Penrite SIN since my first brake fluid change. Never turned back.

Whaaaaa :blink: How do you get 25% off at SCA?

Edited by A Buff Hamster

I enquired with the local SA transport people here, and they said that all I had to do was fill out the forms they gave me, pay the money and they'd give me new SA plates to put on the car and it would be registered here. I thought, perfect, wait until I've got the money, go in with the paperwork, pay for my new plates, throw them in my backpack, head back to Melbourne, put them on the car (so it's registered again) and drive it back home. However, I've been told by my partners mum (who works for toyota here in town) that they'll need to inspect the vehicle before they issue new plates for it. In which case I'd have to pay the vic rego just to get it back here.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Just pay the rego in Vic. Drive around SA till rego nearly out again. Pretty sure you will need an inspection to change states.

That's sort of what I would suggest too. Except when you get to SA, change your registration over and cancel your Victorian registration and claim back your remaining rego.

They don't always inspect the vehicle (well in QLD anyways) but you should be prepared to present it for inspection if they do request it. That's usually for new registrations though. In your case, the Transport SA website sums it up nicely:

Registering an interstate vehicle

Unless you hold a current interstate registration certificate in exactly the same name as the intended South Australian registration the vehicle must have a vehicle inspection to confirm the correct identity of the vehicle.

After the vehicle has been inspected you can provide the following information to a Service SA customer service centre:

- Your completed application for registration and third party insurance and your inspection certificate

- Evidence of identity if you have not previously been issued a licence or registered a vehicle in South Australia

- Payment of fees. You can use the EzyReg fee calculator . To avoid paying stamp duty you will need to produce the interstate registration certificate showing the vehicle was registered in your name.

After you have registered the vehicle in South Australia you can apply to the state where the vehicle was previously registered for a refund of registration fees.

Ahh, perfect, thank you!

Whaaaaa :blink: How do you get 25% off at SCA?

cousins uncle works at the distribution factory... FTW!!! :D

Autobarn sell Penrite SIN but the one I went to today didn't have any sales on.

actually i went to repco today and they had two bottles left... 20 bucks for 500ml lol...

when i read the label it brings me to another question:

my resevior says "dot3 only" but the bottle says super dot 4. i've been reading and reseaching abit and i found that its ok to interchange as long as you flush it clean. but i think thats only for cars with no abs... what about our sportivos with ABS. will it affect anything? i really wanna change from the genuine which isnt really highly temp rated...

my resevior says "dot3 only" but the bottle says super dot 4. i've been reading and reseaching abit and i found that its ok to interchange as long as you flush it clean. but i think thats only for cars with no abs... what about our sportivos with ABS. will it affect anything? i really wanna change from the genuine which isnt really highly temp rated...

This whole Dot 3 and Toyota thing is certainly an interesting subject. You have people on both sides of the discussion, so it's up to you where you want to stand. Here is some discussion prepared earlier:

Status Update (thank f*** for Google Search):

di-4131029477313.jpg

That link above for easy clicking: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/tech_pdfs/87_DOT 3 and DOT 4.pdf

damn thats good read... thanks for that.

it seems mr. poole is adament that penrite wont cause any problems with any cars that recommend only dot 3... maybe i should keep this file for my records. hehe

The last few days my car has been making this annoying 'rattle/tapping' noise from the engine. The car is abit overdue for service but its been booked in and i have spoken to toyota about it. They suggested that sportivos get rattles on the body from the exhaust with the insulation? he said something like that. Is 8000 kms too long on the same oil? or would this just be something unrelated. Because i had a similar noise in my old corolla. It never happens on idle/ while stopped

guys, how often should power steering, brake fluid and radiator coolant should be changed?

every 100,000kms or 2 years? depending on how many track days i've been to? i go on average 2 times a year.

guys, how often should power steering, brake fluid and radiator coolant should be changed?

every 100,000kms or 2 years? depending on how many track days i've been to? i go on average 2 times a year.

You only go 2 times per year, so does not really matter. I plan to do it every month

Brake fluid => 2 years due to moisture

Power steering, no idea

Radiator coolant=> I top up every 6 months due to evaporation. I need to check my service manual when to change

u dont have power steering fluid... hehehehehehe...................

i just changed over brake fluid a few months ago... but since i'm going to get my braided brake lines in before winton this november i'll do a complete flush.

with the radiator i do top it up too but need to completely flush every now and then. just dunno when to do it...

u dont have power steering fluid... hehehehehehe...................

i just changed over brake fluid a few months ago... but since i'm going to get my braided brake lines in before winton this november i'll do a complete flush.

with the radiator i do top it up too but need to completely flush every now and then. just dunno when to do it...

Brake fluid is typically every 30,000km. I tend to follow that service interval unless the brakes feel a little abnormally spongy. Also if I was to do a track day and have to change my brake pads before the 30,000km interval, I would change the fluid at the same time as the pads.

Power steering fluid depends on how you feel. I like to think of 75,000km as a decent service interval but prefer to change mine over at 60,000km. With the fluid costing like $25 for 5 litres (I use Fuchs ATF), I think there's no harm in doing so. Last flush and change I used 2.5 litres... and that was will excessive flushing. $25 for 120,000km doesn't look bad in my books.

Coolant. Well I'm not too sure about the red Toyota Long Life Coolant, but the pink Toyota Super Long Life Coolant has it's initial change at 160,000km and then every 80,000km after that. The initial change is usually pretty accurate and shouldn't need to be changed before hand (but always inspect and change it sooner if you believe so) but afterwards, inspection at every service would be wise and changing it sooner would be a good idea if it looks like it may need to be.

Edit: Did some research. It sounds like the red Toyota Long Life Coolant has a 30,000 mile service interval, so I'd say every 45,000km or 2 years, whichever comes first. Obviously though you should change it sooner if you believe so after inspection.

Since this is a stupid thread, I consider myself as stupid and can I ask the following

1. Changing to sport pedal seems to be very hard? any ideas?

2. I overfill the engine oil by 1cm above the dip stick FULL level mark? any problems?3

3. When changing engine oil, which level should refill up to?

4. Toyota manual says engine oil consumption can up to 1L/1000 KM, this is scary, as I only got 4L in the engine

5. Do you guys top up engine oil and how often?

• 2 weeks later...

Heres my stupid question. Im getting the windscreen replaced on the car, do i have to get the moulds replaced aswell or can i use the existing ones.

HOw much and what do I need to change my gear box to manual?

Well obviously the gear box itself and maybe the ecu as well I think?

:X

FOUND IT ! -> here

hope this helps jeffy ;)

HOw much and what do I need to change my gear box to manual?

Well obviously the gear box itself and maybe the ecu as well I think?

:X

FOUND IT ! -> here

hope this helps jeffy ;)

im sorry, im at work and i finish at 2am.. :\

• 2 weeks later...