The STUPID thread

theDefiant1

quick question

at some stage during the repairs they have disconnected my battery,i know because i had to reset the clock and audio settings,the problem i've noticed when driving in the dark is the drivers elec window button that says AUTO is now flashing where as before is was on solid when the lights are on,also the AUTO no longer works,i have to pull/push the button to make it work...any ideas,reset ECU?

Cheers

Lee

quick question

at some stage during the repairs they have disconnected my battery,i know because i had to reset the clock and audio settings,the problem i've noticed when driving in the dark is the drivers elec window button that says AUTO is now flashing where as before is was on solid when the lights are on,also the AUTO no longer works,i have to pull/push the button to make it work...any ideas,reset ECU?

Before performing any work on the car, it is common practise to disconnect the battery to prevent any issues, so I wouldn't be surprised there.

For your "AUTO" issue, firstly hold the switch in the auto down position until the window reaches the bottom and hold it there for a few seconds. Then do the same for the auto up position. The control ECU should then learn where the limit is.

quick question

Before performing any work on the car, it is common practise to disconnect the battery to prevent any issues, so I wouldn't be surprised there.

For your "AUTO" issue, firstly hold the switch in the auto down position until the window reaches the bottom and hold it there for a few seconds. Then do the same for the auto up position. The control ECU should then learn where the limit is.

Thanks for the quick response DJ...will def try this after dinner,thanks again mate :D

Uhmm I have one, its very stupid.... and I think the answer would be rhetorical.. but here goes:

Does using the normal fan on full blast heater (without a/c) increase fuel consumption?

Uhmm I have one, its very stupid.... and I think the answer would be rhetorical.. but here goes:

Does using the normal fan on full blast heater (without a/c) increase fuel consumption?

Superficially, yes. Effectively, no. Anything in the car which is electrical will increase the load on the alternator when it is turned on, which in turn increases the load the alternator produces on the engine, which decreases the amount of power that is available to transmit to the road, which means more power needs to be produced (and more fuel burnt) to maintain the same performance. However, the amount of power that the fan draws is very small in comparison to the amount required to run the air-con compressor - the fan would be in the order of Watts, the air-con compressor would be in the order of kW. Think of the difference between a ceiling fan (~100W) and a wall-mounted reverse cycle air-conditioner (1-2kW)

Another dumb question...what is the little blue mushroom looking thingy next to my members ride entry? also noticed a few other members rides have these aswell :unsure:

AHH THAT my friend shows that you are watching the thread. becuz you love your car too much :P

it sends notices to your email that someone has replied in that thread.

It does it automatically for me everytime i reply in a thread. it helps becuz i sometimes forget to check the thread and i cannot rememeber all the threads i replied to. its also annoying too as it fills my inbox :nono:

one from me peeps

whats the weight difference between a 205/45r16 tyre and a 205/50r16 tyre? :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question...my TOCAU membership is due 06/11/11 if i pay it now 10-11 days early will it automatically update me when my current one runs out?

reason i ask is the last 3 memberships have taken a couple of weeks to process once paid. :D

Cheers

Lee

whats the weight difference between a 205/45r16 tyre and a 205/50r16 tyre?

So diff is in the profile. A lower profile can provide more steering accuracy and grip however may compromise ride comfort. Lower profile IMO looks better though. A lower profile generally results in higher prices too.

As for weight, which I didn't read initially :P , 45 would be lighter but by how much??? Don't know

Sorry for this useless post of mine <_<

Edited by maca_10

whats the weight difference between a 205/45r16 tyre and a 205/50r16 tyre?

- 205 = Tyre width = 205mm

- 45 & 50 = Profile = This is the sidewall height of the tyre e.g 45% and 50% respecitively of 205mm

- R16 = Rim size = 16 inches.

So diff is in the profile. A lower profile can provide more steering accuracy and grip however may compromise ride comfort. Lower profile IMO looks better though. A lower profile generally results in higher prices too.

Hope that helps

Superficially, yes. Effectively, no. Anything in the car which is electrical will increase the load on the alternator when it is turned on, which in turn increases the load the alternator produces on the engine, which decreases the amount of power that is available to transmit to the road, which means more power needs to be produced (and more fuel burnt) to maintain the same performance. However, the amount of power that the fan draws is very small in comparison to the amount required to run the air-con compressor - the fan would be in the order of Watts, the air-con compressor would be in the order of kW. Think of the difference between a ceiling fan (~100W) and a wall-mounted reverse cycle air-conditioner (1-2kW)

OR, in general terms the current goes through a blower fan resistor to slow the fan down on every setting below the fastest. So can any auto electricians tell us if there is the same current draw on the battery side of the blower fan resistor no matter the setting.

OR, in general terms the current goes through a blower fan resistor to slow the fan down on every setting below the fastest. So can any auto electricians tell us if there is the same current draw on the battery side of the blower fan resistor no matter the setting.

Whilst this may be true for older cars, newer ones (new like 6 years back) utilise electronic fan speed control which is much more efficient at reducing the speed of the fan whilst reducing power being wasted as heat.

Whilst this may be true for older cars, newer ones (new like 6 years back) utilise electronic fan speed control which is much more efficient at reducing the speed of the fan whilst reducing power being wasted as heat.

Thanks. Some brands are still using the blower fan resistor, I have not had any experience with Toyota and fan controls. Hence it is easy to see that the blower fan resistor set up is less reliable and not to mention expensive to fix. Some of the set ups (Isuzu/Holden) can be upwards of $100 for a 20c electronic component.

• 3 weeks later...

RE002 is simply the replacement for the RE001. If the price difference is just $10 per tyre then definitely go with the RE002, newer tyre both in design and manufacture - a lot of RE001s are going to be run-out stock and could have sat on the shelf for a while, reducing their useful life.

RE002 is simply the replacement for the RE001. If the price difference is just $10 per tyre then definitely go with the RE002, newer tyre both in design and manufacture - a lot of RE001s are going to be run-out stock and could have sat on the shelf for a while, reducing their useful life.

+1 - RE002 is also an improved version of RE001....

• 1 month later...

a rust question.

can rust stop forming even if i stop moisture from getting inside the car? i bought tail light housings but they were rusting. tried to clean it out with WD40 and brake cleaner to clean up the oil from the WD40 but cant get it out 100%... :(

thanks

Once rust starts it is basically impossible to stop unless you cut all of it out and seal everything up again. Since steel isn't passivating like aluminium, as the rust eats away at the metal it uncovers fresh uncoated areas, which will start to rust simply from the moisture in the air, let alone from water leaks etc.

If you can get all the rust out, fish oil is great for stopping it from coming back.

What is extension in coilovers for?? Is it to adjust the height of the car or to adjust the dampers, and how are they related?

Adjust the dampers. They are for the rears, in the Aurion the top of the coilover sits out of sight within the wheel arch somewhere, so the flexible extension connects to that and hangs out somehwere in your boot so you can tune it with having to remove the wheels.

Adjust the dampers. They are for the rears, in the Aurion the top of the coilover sits out of sight within the wheel arch somewhere, so the flexible extension connects to that and hangs out somehwere in your boot so you can tune it with having to remove the wheels.

Cheers Thom.