Dead cat smell in Aircon ...

Flo_Jo

Hi all you Toyota enthusiasts!

It's great to have a forum where dingbats like me can ask questions without feelin too stupid.

Now, since its getting nice and warm in Melbourne of late, I have been using the aircon a fair bit.

All is fine but once in a while there is this distinctive damp smell that comes out. Now its only done this to me 2 times in the last two months - the first time i just turned it off and opened the windows. It was fine the next time I used it.

The second time, I turned the aircon on full blast with windows open to try and circulate the system for a few minutes.

Is this common with Camry? Is this a bigger problem than meets the eye?

BTW mine is a 2003 Camry Sportivo V6.

Always appreciate your comments and experiences.

It is a common problem with any car A/C and is usually caused by fungal/mould build up after using the A/C on the internal circulating mode a lot, much like carpet when it gets wet and smelly. Generally putting the unit into the mode where the outside air is passed through it will cure most of this. Best done on a dry warm day..

Some owners manuals address the problem....

do a search mate, this topic has been covered before!

:whistling:

Yeah I avoided saying that because the title was amusing :lol:

Thank you all for your input and guidance. I had a good look through the other threads covering the same issue. Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem.

Been following the advice of:

1. Sometimes letting outside air flow in the vents (with aircon off) during usual driving.

2. When putting a/c on - using outside air in the beginning and switching to recirculated air once car has cooled down.

Seems to be working well so far. The dead cat has receded ... for now~

• 1 month later...

STOP RUNNING OVER CATS. well............ :whistling:

I sparyed Glen 20 up the foot air vents and in the air intake near between the bonnet and windscreen. this was done while the A/C was on (fresh air intake) and set to (nipple) cold as :)

• 3 weeks later...
STOP RUNNING OVER CATS. well............ :whistling:

I sparyed Glen 20 up the foot air vents and in the air intake near between the bonnet and windscreen. this was done while the A/C was on (fresh air intake) and set to (nipple) cold as :)

We used to use glen 20 at a holden dealership years ago it works

i think u get tht "dead cat smell" when u constantly use the "inside" air circulation...try switching to outside air...it may help with the smell....otherwise glen20 should do the trick....

• 1 month later...

that happened to me twice in 4 days. The smell is almost unbearable.

We had covered 2000km in the period but it would happened when we had driven for 2 hours straight and would remain for one or two mins.

is it possible theres an actual cat in your a/c?

Photos please...

Haha...seriously, though - I'm pretty sure its to do with the inside air function (as everyone else has touched on). Old, recycled air is just not cool; it picks up the scent from all the recycled dust (etc) particles that have gone through it. Just as water stagnates when left untouched, so too does air.

Just drive the car as often as you can on the outside function - even if you don't have the aircon/fan turned on, leave the vents open... that should reduce the smell while driving. And also make sure you start up the aircon with the outside vents turned on, that way all the crap is blown out in the first coupla hundred metres of driving and is replaced by air of a fresher quality.