Konis + Kings SL installationg pricing..

kolourhero

I just called Suspension City (melb) and i got these quotes for my 03 stivo..

Koni adjustables (installed) - $1800

Kings SL's (installed) - $390

Koni adjustables, Kings SL's (installed) - $2300

Are these prices about right? because i remember those prices were significantly lower from reading around the forums.

Is there any places you guys would recommend for a cheaper alternative to get just the Kings SL's + installation?

P.S i find it weird how its cheaper to get them done separately.. I'll probably give them a call again later to get another quote.. see if it differs.

Edited by kolourhero

Thanks CAP

I just gave protek a call and these are their prices..

Koni adjustables (installed) - $1,185

Kings SL's (installed) - $350

Koni adjustables, Kings SL's (installed) - $1,485

Thanks mate! much appreciated, and Oakleigh is right next to me ;)

Thats a very good price. Get the Koni's with lows at the front and super lows at the back. This way the car sits nice an level and handles an absolute treat. I highly recommend the Koni's!

I'm not really sure how you guys think it looks level with lows at the front and superlows at the rear?

I have superlows all round, and the rear looks lower than the front already, the difference would be bigger still with lows at the front. (I have no heavy audio gear in my boot either)

Get the same springs front and rear. The car will handle better too.

CAP, I have no doubt that you know what you are talking about, however get some Koni's and then pass comment.

I have exactly the same setup that SB had in his stivo. When I measured mine with lows in the front and super lows in the rear the difference in ride height was appox 2mm end to end (it was actually higher in the rear!). If you look at the Koni's you will notice that the lower spring plate is alot higher on the strut than what you see on stock struts. The spring is therefore compressed more and as it is progressive compresses less when placed on the ground. I will take a pic of my setup tomorrow to show you what I mean.

As for handling, i can guarantee that a car that has a level ride height will out perform a car that sits lower/higher at one end. super lows on the front as well as rear will only stick the corollas bum further up on the air, something that doesn't look good or help the the handling characteristics. Unless the batch of springs that SB and I got where somehow different to whats being produced now, I cant see any reason if someone is getting Koni's not to get the combination which will achieve optimal results.

If you look at the Koni's you will notice that the lower spring plate is alot higher on the strut than what you see on stock struts.

So you're saying that the Koni's design compresses the rear Springs more? Hence the reason for using a shorter Spring in the rear?

Boys trust me on this one as I have had all the measurements done on my old sportivo when i owned it by my suspension wholesaler who are one of Kings biggest distributors(they sell to the majority of suspension shops) and these measurements were then sent back to kings for them to digress over. Super lows in the rear and lows in the front yield a difference of approx 2-5mm. Lows all round have a difference front to rear of 13-18mm depending on the car. Another thing a lot of people do not do is adjust the torsion beam's mounting bushes where it attaches to the car. By indexing them(in other words loosen them off slightly then go for a quick drive and then retighten them) the beam finds it "happy spot" and the bush relocates itself according to the new height. Some people refer to this as the springs settling which is a load *******. All it is is that the bush is used to sitting at angle "a" for instance and once you lower it it then sits at angle"B". If you don't loosen the bolts off slighty and let the tension off the bush it over time puts a lot of strain on the bushes and softens them up because of the extra load now on it. The bush allows the beam to "sag"(which some people refer to as springs settling) due to the bush losing some of it's rigidity which then correlates to a change in height.

I have done quite a few cars like this now and they all sit as close to possible completly flat which improves the handling out of sight and makes them a joy to drive in the twisties....

I just called Suspension City (melb) and i got these quotes for my 03 stivo..

Koni adjustables (installed) - $1800

Kings SL's (installed) - $390

Koni adjustables, Kings SL's (installed) - $2300

Are these prices about right? because i remember those prices were significantly lower from reading around the forums.

Is there any places you guys would recommend for a cheaper alternative to get just the Kings SL's + installation?

P.S i find it weird how its cheaper to get them done separately.. I'll probably give them a call again later to get another quote.. see if it differs.

Im a bit out of my league replying as i dont have a suspension setup yet. But fot that price, installed, cant you get a decent set of coilovers? They cant possibly charge over a few hundred for labour.