HOLDEN's $1 billion baby

Aurion

All cars have their faults, thats just the way it is...

Ford have the most recalls, followed by Toyota and then Holden so I think you're bagging the wrong manufacturer ;) ...

what are the number of safety recalls for the 3 brands in the last 10 years?

Recalls are not an accurate way of gauging the quality of a vehicle manufacturer.

The recalls that Toyota have done have centred around "non critical items" for example a recent one last year for 2000 Camry (yes 8 years old) as the head light seal "may leak" and cause either condensation or at worst an electrical fault.

Holden dosent do recalls unless its serious. What about the faults I have had with my 2 VE's and the rest in the large fleet I manage at work like:

- constant computer failures where the car just shuts down (sometimes in the middle of now where),

- more rattles than a can or marbles been shaken,

- electric windows falling into doors,

- back window blowing out at speed (is this the first time Holden have installed a window!!?),

- instruments not working,

- centre screen failures

The list is endless and these items are not recalled, instead the end consumer cops the inconvenience of having repairs done when an issue occurs. So recalls are not an accruate statistical way of measuring quality, feedback from the industry and forums such as this are a good starting place.

Recalls are not an accurate way of gauging the quality of a vehicle manufacturer.

The recalls that Toyota have done have centred around "non critical items" for example a recent one last year for 2000 Camry (yes 8 years old) as the head light seal "may leak" and cause either condensation or at worst an electrical fault.

Holden dosent do recalls unless its serious. What about the faults I have had with my 2 VE's and the rest in the large fleet I manage at work like:

- constant computer failures where the car just shuts down (sometimes in the middle of now where),

- more rattles than a can or marbles been shaken,

- electric windows falling into doors,

- back window blowing out at speed (is this the first time Holden have installed a window!!?),

- instruments not working,

- centre screen failures

The list is endless and these items are not recalled, instead the end consumer cops the inconvenience of having repairs done when an issue occurs. So recalls are not an accruate statistical way of measuring quality, feedback from the industry and forums such as this are a good starting place.

Just like in Fight Club - if a company is only looking at the bottom line and not the reputation that they hold in the eyes of the consumer, they tend to hold off on recalls unless it's really really critical. Recalling cars en-masse is a very expensive exercise, much easier just to fix things come service time

Take the number of vehicles in the field, ( A ), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, ( B ), then multiply the result by the average out-of-court settlement, ( C ). A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

And thats from a recall co-ordinator from a MAJOR car company.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Hi guys,

I know no car is perfect, even Toyota's. I was just directing at the car of the year in comparisons to the other it defeated..

I have both a VE and an Aurion SX6 in my driveway, and I will give you the tip, the VE can go and get f$%ked as far as I'm concerned. Absolute piece of $hit, and I was a pretty staunch Holden fan............................. It has been recalled 3 times in the year my missus has owned it for various things, I will be glad when the missus company upgrades the damn thing. You flog a standard VE on the highway (or anywhere for that matter and then do it to an Aurion and see the difference) the VE sounds like it its hurting whilst the Aurion feels like it wants more. The gearbox in the Aurion $hits all over the VE and so does the handling, even before lowering and sports springs being fitted. I get 2.5lts per 100km better economy than my missus, and I am a lot heavier on the gas than she is. So over a 500km distance that's nearly $20 in favour of the Aurion, you guys do the math......................

Holden Cars = Full of crap, Holden Drivers = Full of crap...

So at the end of the day.. Holden = Full of crap :)

I think thats the end of the story! I've not been in Aust as long as some of you might but I hated them ever since I seen them when I moved to Aust 5 yrs ago!

I think its just in my blood ;)

I haven't driven an Aurion before, but i have driven a commodore and new camry. From everything that the magazines have said about the camry, i was quite pleasantly surprised at it. It really wasn't as bad as what the media has made it out to be. The steering on the 'dore was heavy and slow, the gearbox wasn't that great and the engine was lazy and unresponsive. The camry even for a 4 cylinder was quite enjoyable, although it was a bit loud at higher revs. The steering was better than I expected. Quality between the two was probably so-so but more in favour of the Toyota. Against the BA falcon tho, both are miles ahead in my opinion. I can see why the Camry and Aurion sell so well. For those people who don't push their cars to the limits, Toyota's do the job bloody well.

From everything that the magazines have said about the camry, i was quite pleasantly surprised at it. It really wasn't as bad as what the media has made it out to be.

Among the different magazines we get contrasting reviews.

While some reviews say the Camry and Aurion are like whitegoods, the relatively new review "Family values drop" by news.com.au was not shy in pointing out one corner cutting aspect of Commodore and Falcon. Apparently the rear head rests on those two cars are not even adjustable lol.

The review somehow ends up with the conclusion "FG Falcon is the best locally built sedan hands down". Doesn't really add up from the rest of the article which shows tough competition among the four family cars (Accord).

It doesn't join the torque hype and states that in practice the Aurion's engine is most lively .

It does join the hype about FG's supposedly great suspension but gives no details. Maybe I should test drive the FG Falcon to see exactly how it "ate up potholes". Oh, the article also says Commodore has the same ability if that says anything.

Edited by tekkyy

WILL NEVER BUY A COMMODORE EVER AGAIN. I had a VE from brand spanking new and it didn't even leave the showroom without a problem:

1. Boot lock shattered and boot would not close properly

2. Random chimes dinging with screen displays appearing for 2 seconds

3. Rattles on both passenger and drivers side of the dash

4. Rattles in 3 doors and never really fixed

5. Vent motor in dash needed replacing

6. Central locking needed greasing because of loud screeching noise

7. Computer software needed updating

When I took the car into the Holden dealer to checkout the rattles they fixed other things I didn't know about, I would drive the car out of the workshop hit the road and BANG there are those F*** rattles just like father christmas was driving along side me!!! My Commodore must have been built during smoko brake at the Elizabeth plant in SA or somebody was smoking something when they built it......sorry getting myself worked up now...