steering wheel vibrating when braking

hey guys.

any of you experienced (severe) vibrating of the steering wheel when braking? at first i thought it might be due to dodgy road conditions when i braked, but today on a 'smooth' surfaced freeway road while braking from around 110km/hr to 70 the steerng wheel was vibrating VERY SEVERELY. what's causing this prob? is it the disc or is there something to do with the suspension of the car?

so far it's not affecting the braking distance, etc...but this vibrating crap does bother me a bit. also when coming to a complete stop at the light, sometimes the car doesn't slow/stop smoothly, like it's 'rocking' if you know what i mean :unsure:

i might bring the car in for a check these few days when i get the time.

to put it simply, your rotors are warped, hence the steering wheel shudders.

toyota used to replace them under warranty, as some of the other members have had it done, but not anymore, as they now scream 'its a consumable'.

i took mine in, and they machined the rotors, (take about 1/4 of a mm off to smooth it out) and the problem is gone.

the guy out there told me, 'this is not officially documented, but its been said that the South African spec rollas rotors are of poorer quality than that of the Jap spec' he also said quite a few rollas were coming in, having only done 20,000km's but eating thru brake pads like no tomorrow, due to the rotors being warped. he mentioned too, that he thought it was very unfair that they are not replaced under warranty, because they are **** rotors in the first place.

he also told me, ether i change my driving style, or be prepared for more warped rotors :lol: . i guess the best thing u can do is, (dont quote me) make sure u warm up the brakes before u start braking hard, as sudden temperature change tends to contribute to the rotors warping.

Edited by richi

I had that since Day 2 or 3 of my purchase, told Toyota and they said if it continues they will machine the discs. Mine is not severe but you can feel it if you are attentive. It is more noticeable for me when going downhill and at low speeds coming to a stop.

I also noticed my brakes are different to Screaminrolla's brakes. His is an earlier 03' built Sportivo and mine is December 03 built. Our brakes look different. His car is Silver :ph34r:

I had that since Day 2 or 3 of my purchase, told Toyota and they said if it continues they will machine the discs.  Mine is not severe but you can feel it if you are attentive.  It is more noticeable for me when going downhill and at low speeds coming to a stop.

I also noticed my brakes are different to Screaminrolla's brakes.  His is an earlier 03' built Sportivo and mine is December 03 built.  Our brakes look different.  His car is Silver :ph34r:

i understand that it's prolly hard to describe the difference, could u get some pictures for us to see, please ?

I had that since Day 2 or 3 of my purchase, told Toyota and they said if it continues they will machine the discs.  Mine is not severe but you can feel it if you are attentive.  It is more noticeable for me when going downhill and at low speeds coming to a stop.

I also noticed my brakes are different to Screaminrolla's brakes.  His is an earlier 03' built Sportivo and mine is December 03 built.  Our brakes look different.  His car is Silver :ph34r:

i understand that it's prolly hard to describe the difference, could u get some pictures for us to see, please ?

Will try to get some pics when i meet up with him next time and will post it but have a look at some earlier built Stivos if yours is built late 03 or 04 and vice versa. That could also probably explain other things.. :ph34r:

there has been a part number change on the ZZE123 brakes in 04/2003, not sure when this would have flowed through to the Aus cars.

post-148-1101071674_thumb.jpg

Edited by rollamods

To avoid warped rotors it is very important NOT to complete a period of heavy hot braking by sitting stationary with your foot hard on the brake, stick it in neutral and use the handbrake, (for example sitting at lights after descending a steep hill.)

What happens is that the heated pad creates a hot spot on that portion of the rotor, which then cools at a different rate to the rest of the rotor, thus causing it to warp.

The day I drove out of the dealer after picking up my new car I had the vibration. My rotors were warped from the factory but was told it must be my driving style so was only offered the machining option.

Yeah... I drove so hard in the 10 metres to the dealers front door on his capeted showroom floor that the great effort to slow the car before going down the short driveway and into the street, warped my rotors!

Like I keep saying, loved the car :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: r... loathe Toyota Australia! :angry::angry::angry:

• 7 months later...

toyota used to replace them under warranty, as some of the other members have had it done, but not anymore, as they now scream 'its a consumable'.

i took mine in, and they machined the rotors, (take about 1/4 of a mm off to smooth it out) and the problem is gone.

the guy out there told me, 'this is not officially documented, but its been said that the South African spec rollas rotors are of poorer quality than that of the Jap spec' he also said quite a few rollas were coming in, having only done 20,000km's but eating thru brake pads like no tomorrow, due to the rotors being warped. he mentioned too, that he thought it was very unfair that they are not replaced under warranty, because they are **** rotors in the first place.

he also told me, ether i change my driving style, or be prepared for more warped rotors  :lol: . i guess the best thing u can do is, (dont quote me) make sure u warm up the brakes before u start braking hard, as sudden temperature change tends to contribute to the rotors warping.

how do u know if it is the south african spec or the jap spec rolla ?

he also told me, ether i change my driving style, or be prepared for more warped rotors  :lol: . i guess the best thing u can do is, (dont quote me) make sure u warm up the brakes before u start braking hard, as sudden temperature change tends to contribute to the rotors warping.

how do u know if it is the south african spec or the jap spec rolla ?

Wow an old thread resurrected! :lol: Australia gets SA built Stivo only. My steering still shudders at low speeds and under light braking, hard braking there is no problems. I won't bother getting Toyota to machine it, its gonna warp again. I will just change the discs to slotted ones when time comes to do so.