fast idle on start??

Gibbo

Hi, my gen3 96 v6.... on start immedialtly fires at say 2000 rpm, without throttle

Is this normal, once warm it settles down, after a few minutes it drops slowly to say 900 rpm..

but I don't think it should start at such high revs...

I like the car but not familiar with what is 'normal'

thanks guys.

Hi, my gen3 96 v6.... on start immedialtly fires at say 2000 rpm, without throttle

Is this normal, once warm it settles down, after a few minutes it drops slowly to say 900 rpm..

thanks guys.

Yeah well the thing is the motor starts reving so high before oil has a chance to pressurise...

Seems a bad way to design for long engine life...

I can hear a split moment of big end bearing rattle when it first fires, motor has 220K and so some wear will be there

I will put some nulon in the oil for cold start protection...

It is regarded as normal because this how the engine management system works. Idles the engine fast on cold start to warm the engine to operating temperature quicker and prevent stalling when cold. I wouldn't worry yourself over it...as long as drops to lower revs when warm/hot....it will not harm the engine..

FYI: I use Castrol GTX3...

Edited by Topdog

It is regarded as normal because this how the engine management system works. Idles the engine fast on cold start to warm the engine to operating temperature quicker and prevent stalling when cold. I wouldn't worry yourself over it...as long as drops to lower revs when warm/hot....it will not harm the engine..

FYI: I use Castrol GTX3...

oh ok... saves me a lot of mucking about... guess Toyota know what their doing, and plenty of 3vz out there...

if anything, all is well then... thanks guys for input... I love the motor, so smooth and heaps of power.

I have a full tank and I'm doing an accurate consumption test, only mod is swiss cheese

but I'm looking for a nicer sound from the rear muffler...

I guess you know all about that one :)

thanks guys.

this is what you call a "cold start"

there is a way to minimize cold start. buy those engine electric blanket, really useful when temperature is minus. :spiteful:

thanks guys.

this is what you call a "cold start"

there is a way to minimize cold start. buy those engine electric blanket, really useful when temperature is minus. :spiteful:

Maybe I can use my cardigan :whistling:

yeah thts normal...even the old mans new camry does the same....i noticed u get higher start up revs with the V6 though compared to the 4cyl ones....btw use Castrol it is great!!

I wish my engine idled properly on cold start!

I dunno my Cam only ever kicks to around 1400 on cold start and then drops to around 700 in under a minute

Yeah Ariel, you needa clean out the IAC valve... I did it on mine, I have a DIY on Camcrew somwhere too - easy done. Did it to Davey's too, fixed the idling issue also.

I wish my engine idled properly on cold start!

I dunno my Cam only ever kicks to around 1400 on cold start and then drops to around 700 in under a minute

Yeah Ariel, you needa clean out the IAC valve... I did it on mine, I have a DIY on Camcrew somwhere too - easy done. Did it to Davey's too, fixed the idling issue also.

Yeah right that might explaine a few things actually.

I was gonna look into oxygen sensor and a few other things as well next service (in a coupla weeks).

Thanks for that bro

Easiest thing to do... as simple as cleaning the butterfly clip, the intake itself (with TB cleaner), disconnecting the hoses and taking it off... and where the IAC valve is, just give it a dammmmnnn good soaking with TB cleaner!

Connect it back up... you'll find it'll not turn over the first time, but normally the 2nd or 3rd it will, and there will be a cloud of white smoke at the end. All normal... and all should work well. If it doesn't work, you'll no doubt either try it again, or replace the IAC valve bro.