19" Wheels

spags

Recently recieved my new Aurion SX6 in black, with my new 19" mags arriving the same day...

Just a warning i was advised by 3 separate Tyre places (not naming names) that 245/40/19 were the way to go.. Its even listed in a fitment guide..All fit nicely until you go for a drive, then i realised i was in the sh*t.. The tyre scrubs against the spring over large dips and or corners.. Luckily was able to recieve a full exchange at no extra cost. Although im in W.A, bought my wheels from Sydney (will take 2 weeks agh!)

So yeah ive gone with the 35 profile now, noticed all with 19's are using them... Knowones had any problem with rubbing? (even with lowering) (which mine isnt yet, but do plan to shortly)

Thanks and i hope that helps some of you out. Meh to those "Tyre professionals"

Recently recieved my new Aurion SX6 in black, with my new 19" mags arriving the same day...

Just a warning i was advised by 3 separate Tyre places (not naming names) that 245/40/19 were the way to go.. Its even listed in a fitment guide..All fit nicely until you go for a drive, then i realised i was in the sh*t.. The tyre scrubs against the spring over large dips and or corners.. Luckily was able to recieve a full exchange at no extra cost. Although im in W.A, bought my wheels from Sydney (will take 2 weeks agh!)

So yeah ive gone with the 35 profile now, noticed all with 19's are using them... Knowones had any problem with rubbing? (even with lowering) (which mine isnt yet, but do plan to shortly)

Thanks and i hope that helps some of you out. Meh to those "Tyre professionals"

Strange you should say that. The TRD Aurion (or TRD 3500S & SL) has a different size to what you've been told to fit on your car.

From the TRD web site:

"The four 19x8" performance alloys improve brake ventilation and preserve

impact resilience. Wrapped in 245/35ZR 19 Dunlop SportMaxx

Performance tyres, they're the perfect link between the

technology of the car and the surface of the road."

post-7228-1204606489_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stealth

Strange you should say that. The TRD Aurion (or TRD 3500S & SL) has a different size to what you've been told to fit on your car.

From the TRD web site:

Yes mate thats my point the 3 said tyre places recommended the wrong size.. Not sure on normal cruising but with 2 in the back seat the 40 profile would frequently rub..

On mine I have the 245/35ZR19 on a 19x8, same fitment as a ford in case u didn't know, and I have had no problems at all. Next stage ? Seriously thinking about dropping it down with a Pedders Mod

I have had 245x40x19 fitted on my SX6 for a couple of days now with out any hint of rubbing or noise from the wheels on rough roads.

You have me worried though, because the professional advise I had was 245x40x19 over 245x35x19 because that was the best and nearest to original speedometer readout.

Which springs are rubbing front or back?

Yeah and your proffesional would be right... It is the closest but still the overall diameter ends up being 11mm more.. The back springs were rubbing, and in all honesty i probably only found out as i went for a drive straight away with 2 lads in the back... You'll probably find you will be fine for general cruising, but on the occasion you have a full car or a full boot it may affect you..

I was shattered haha brand new car and mags arrive on the same day and then i hear the dreaded noise!

Yeah and your proffesional would be right... It is the closest but still the overall diameter ends up being 11mm more.. The back springs were rubbing, and in all honesty i probably only found out as i went for a drive straight away with 2 lads in the back... You'll probably find you will be fine for general cruising, but on the occasion you have a full car or a full boot it may affect you..

I was shattered haha brand new car and mags arrive on the same day and then i hear the dreaded noise!

I can imagine you were shattered! I'm glad no damage was done.

Something's not right here though.

You say the overall diameter is 11mm more but that was checked by my pro's as well. Here is their assessment.

Old Tyres (Standard Toyota Aurion SX6 17") overall diameter 670mm

New wheels and tyres (245x40x19) overall diameter 660mm that's 10mm smaller?

I will re-discuss this with them tomorrow because I am concerned and thank you for raising it.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

All you ever need mate..

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

215/55-17 4.7in 13.2in 26.3in 82.7in 767 0.0%

245/40-19 3.9in 13.4in 26.7in 83.9in 755 1.5%

Tire Size Comparison

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference

215/55-17 4.7in 13.2in 26.3in 82.7in 767 0.0%

245/35-19 3.4in 12.9in 25.8in 80.9in 783 -2.1%

From the TRD web site:

But if he has a SX6 though, isn't the spring/shock setup different to the TRD, therefore effectively creating a different environment for the wheels.

From the TRD web site:

But if he has a SX6 though, isn't the spring/shock setup different to the TRD, therefore effectively creating a different environment for the wheels.

Yes, a smaller environment. The TRD Aurion sits lower (and firmer) the the SX6.

I guess you'd have to measure the actual diameter of the springs in the SX6 then the springs in the TRD and compare. Just cause the TRD sits lower, doesn't mean too much for this equation IMO, on what I have read from here, I would deduce that the diameter of the TRD springs is smaller than that of the SX6, hence why the TRD doesn't scrub (unless those with TRD's are not reporting them scrubbing).....

I can't figure out any other plausable explaination....

Some rims that i want are "Sizes: 20x8.5" your having problems with 19.. should i get 20's then? im not expert. but i really want the 20" but dont want theses problems

I'd hate to think what your tyre profile would be lol.

Rubber band tyres.

EDIT: Yep. 30 series profile (245/30/R20) :S

Edited by bADbOYz

Hi guys, interseting thread.

Just to expand on this. Different manufactors, differetnt tollerences etc. maybe if you went a 245's, get the fitter/dealer to give a money back deal that it won't scrub ?

When I see an Aurion on the road, one of the first things that I notice is the pizza cutter tyres. The width, doesnt suit the body.

Thanks

Edited by Adrian

Well this thread really got me moving!

Today I went to the tyre professionals that installed the mag/tyre combo for me. Their brief from me at purchase time was that I wanted to keep the standard turning circle (as it's fantastic)

I did not want the wheels to extend outside the body work and I had to be completely assured that there would be no rubbing, touching or issues with the wheels. They were also aware that I tow a Jayco caravan and the wheels had to be ok with at least 130kg down on the tow bar.

I relayed the experience described here and I am not in any way suggesting that this didn't happen as described (of course it did) but here is the result of the tests done today.

Just to repeat, the Mags are 19x8 and the tyres 245x40x19 Falken square profile. Please keep in mind I am not an expert, I am a driver that likes handling and performance, but I do pay for good quality and expertise and expect to be looked after.

- The strut configuration at the rear of my SX6 is such that there is absolutely no way the tyre could come in contact with it - under any circumstance.

- The gap from the bottom of the spring housing to the wheel is approx. 15mm and as this (mount) moves with the wheel cannot touch.

- The gap from the back wall of the tyre to the inside body of the car is closer to 18-20mm and again the advise is that this would never touch.

- The overall diameter is 11mm bigger but the gap between the tyre and the top of the wheel arch is such that it is very unlikely that this would ever touch also.

So I think the only thing that can be different between mine and the ones that caused an issue is the offset. My tyres are almost in line with the wheel arch at the rear and are in line with the front arch. I believe the company I dealt with who do mostly performance fit outs has done the right thing for me and ensured that this is the right tyre for me.

One thing that has come out of this for me though, is that I will get a load leveller for the caravan just in case :whistling:

----------------

Today I went to the tyre professionals that installed the mag/tyre combo for me. Their brief from me at purchase time was that I wanted to keep the standard turning circle (as it's fantastic)

I did not want the wheels to extend outside the body work and I had to be completely assured that there would be no rubbing, touching or issues with the wheels. They were also aware that I tow a Jayco caravan and the wheels had to be ok with at least 130kg down on the tow bar.

I relayed the experience described here and I am not in any way suggesting that this didn't happen as described (of course it did) but here is the result of the tests done today.

Just to repeat, the Mags are 19x8 and the tyres 245x40x19 Falken square profile. Please keep in mind I am not an expert, I am a driver that likes handling and performance, but I do pay for good quality and expertise and expect to be looked after.

- The strut configuration at the rear of my SX6 is such that there is absolutely no way the tyre could come in contact with it - under any circumstance.

- The gap from the bottom of the spring housing to the wheel is approx. 15mm and as this (mount) moves with the wheel cannot touch.

- The gap from the back wall of the tyre to the inside body of the car is closer to 18-20mm and again the advise is that this would never touch.

- The overall diameter is 11mm bigger but the gap between the tyre and the top of the wheel arch is such that it is very unlikely that this would ever touch also.

So I think the only thing that can be different between mine and the ones that caused an issue is the offset. My tyres are almost in line with the wheel arch at the rear and are in line with the front arch. I believe the company I dealt with who do mostly performance fit outs has done the right thing for me and ensured that this is the right tyre for me.

One thing that has come out of this for me though, is that I will get a load leveller for the caravan just in case :whistling:

----------------

Well in that case who the f*ck knows. All that i know is when i fit mine with the 35 profile if it rubs i give up haha.. Sh*t now im worried:p

----------------

Well in that case who the f*ck knows. All that i know is when i fit mine with the 35 profile if it rubs i give up haha.. Sh*t now im worried:p

What Offset do i need?

I think it is most likely the offset of the rims. My mums sx6 has 245/35/19s and the front wheels stick out abit from the guard because of the offset. Your offset on the rims must make the rims sit deeper into the guards, causing the tyre to hit the springs.

When i first saw the car we bought at the dealer, i thought the offset was very strange, It doesnt really stick out much, although it is definately inline with the guard, and if i was to lower it, it would most likely rub the lip of the guard.

I think around +42 +45 should do it,

Spags: Get your rims checked for the actual offset, you may also get spacers to attach to the hub so that the rims stick out a bit more. Im guessing your rims are not dish style?

Or you can measure them

offset = Length from rear lip to the backside of the hub mounting part - (rim width / 2)

I think around +42 +45 should do it,

Spags: Get your rims checked for the actual offset, you may also get spacers to attach to the hub so that the rims stick out a bit more. Im guessing your rims are not dish style?

Or you can measure them

offset = Length from rear lip to the backside of the hub mounting part - (rim width / 2)

Ive Just rang my Supplier (Tempe Tyres).. The Mag i purchased Lenso Konvex 19 x 8.5 has an offset of 38 im told....

*MEH*

anyway im over it they are the experts they can sort it.. They f*ck up they can sort it again... and again

Edited by spags

Ive Just rang my Supplier (Tempe Tyres).. The Mag i purchased Lenso Konvex 19 x 8.5 has an offset of 38 im told....

*MEH* anyway im over it they are the experts they can sort it.. They f*ck up they can sort it again... and again

And that is my attitude also.

Pay good people to do their job and demand answers if they get it wrong. It's all part of the learning curve. I have learned a lot about my wheels since your first post - so thanks for that :)

----------------

*MEH* anyway im over it they are the experts they can sort it.. They f*ck up they can sort it again... and again

And that is my attitude also.

Pay good people to do their job and demand answers if they get it wrong. It's all part of the learning curve. I have learned a lot about my wheels since your first post - so thanks for that :)

----------------

Indeed, and no problems.. haha i go into tyre places these days and find im more cluey then the 'professionals' at times:P

Some rims that i want are "Sizes: 20x8.5" your having problems with 19.. should i get 20's then? im not expert. but i really want the 20" but dont want theses problems

Dun worry. Mine's also 20", havent put them on thou. But I'm sure it's gonna be fine. Fyi, There are even sick people sittin on a 22" aurion... Havent seen one in Aussie thou..

Im on 20x8.5 all round and no problems at all, although im sitting on 225 rather than 245's. I was hoping they had a staggered fitment so the rears would be 9.0 but to no luck.

Also check the offset of your rims.

Change ur rims again then.. :yahoo:

I just got mine with rear 9.5 and front 8 or 8.5 . Forgot the front