Old School Corolla

KE70

what the panelvan man said:

"BUILT, NOT BOUGHT"

For under $3000 i have myself an AE71 which already lays to shame a sportivo in a straight line, and occasionally outhandles them.

If you want to see just how satifying it is... read this:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...1661991d9612ab9

with that $3000 i have:

# bought the car

# upgraded to a smallport 4A-GE

# upgraded the diff to a 6,7" T series

# lowered the diff ratio to 4.1:1

# Upgraded the braking ability

# had an absolute blast the whole way

# had even more fun shocking and beating almost every brand new and recent hatch/compact car available on the market.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ke70s can be made to fly, check out www.twincam.org, many members have ke70s, ae82s, ae86 sprimters, ae92s and so on... there is one guy with a turbo setup, and to all the sportivo boys i dont know why you would spend over 30k for a rolla when you could buy a 2001-2002 s15 200sx for the same price or 2001-2002 wrx my bro got his 2002 wrx with only 8000kms for 32,000, imho since after the ae92 they just got heavier and uglier, 141 kw and front wheel drive no thanks, unless its a type r which has even more power and handling abilities

Mate, for me it all came down to Insurance premiums and preference. I have driven a 97 Wrx and had quite a few mods to make 140kw at all wheels, it goes great and everything but come on, do you really need that much power?? It bloody chews through tyres, clutches and even gearboxes! Insurance costs me $4000 and my Sportivo's just $1200. And some people like me just wants to go NA performance after having nightmares with forced induction.

NA is also much more reliable and more fun :lol: Can the WRX and 200sx make 141kw from an NA 1.8 engine? No way, its all advanced engineering and technology man, just like Honda's Type-R and S2000. I also love to rev and the Sportivo satisfies with an 8200rpm redline. Again the 200sx and WRX would be melting pistons by then :P

And, eerrrr, anyone who thinks parts for old Corollas are expensive is very clearly talking out their ****. I own four of the little buggers (1969 KE10, 1969 KE11, 1974 KE26, and 1975 KE30) and for at least KE20 onwards the parts are (a) bloody everywhere and (B) dirt cheap.

I filled my volvo wagon from front seats to tailgate and up to the roof twice with good KE10 parts for $600 - how many TRD cold air intakes can you get for $600? Another $300 or so replaced every single suspension bush, front and rear, plus all four tierods and the Pitman arm, in the KE26 with shiny new Noltec polyurethane versions, and that was overpriced-walked-straight-into-Auto-One sort of pricing!

As for "if you're not mechanically minded don't try to do anything yourself" - that's a load of crap too. Two examples. (a) my partner stripped and reconditioned a carby (quite a complex and time consuming job) all by herself, with only a Toyota yellowbook for instructions. That carby is now running quite happily in the KE26. (B) Takai did an AE92 4AGZE + frontmount intercooler conversion for his first ever mechanical project, and got it done quickly, too. All it takes is a little determination and a clear head.

Please, do look outside at the real world before posting such assumptions on a public forum.

j.

hey all

thanks for all of the help hey. - i have just got 1 more question tho?!?!

do any of u guys live in perth or know of any toyota car clubs that run in perth??? - thanks for all of ur help!!!

Catch

Zac :ph34r:

I live in perth and have been trying to get into a club somewhere too.

Best bet is either cruising around freo until you see a bunch of cars together :lol:

Or

Going to www.all-torque.com and looking around at the links they have to offer.

www.perthperformance.com is starting to become my regular stop off.

rollaboyz USED to exist in perth. Dont know what does now.

As for the insurance thing. My car is so cheap that i dont even bother with comprehensive - $400 for 3rd party property with just cars does me just fine, considering the value of the car!

As for the reliability issue - honda's are renound for being unpredicably unreliable, and 10 times more expensive than anything else to rebuild/repair - if its even possible! They are disposable cars, with even more disposable motors.

My little rolla happily bounces around 7000rpm all day every day, making plenty of power quite reliably (and its a 12 year old motor), and still getting 450+kms per 35L of fuel. And yes, its perfectly NA, and a mostly stock motor.

I could even build me a 140kW 1.6L for my little ****box with about $10k, remaining NA and having money to spare on cleaning up the car.

P.S. pistons dont melt at high RPM. Pistons melt under excessive detonation from poor tuning.

Ok, everyone here need to chill a little and get their heads out of their own ***.

You all have nice cars and you can do whatever that you want to them. Those with the skill to do more, that's great and we would love to have you help us by giving us advise on ways we can improve on our skill. Those without the skill, we send our cars to workshops to get them to do it for us cos we're afraid to damage our cars, unless those with the relevent skills can help us. :rolleyes:

There's no competition here. We are all here to help one another out and not here to brag about who's car is better, cheaper, prettier, smoother, etc.

Can't we all just be friends?

So let's advise and not patronise one another yah? :D

As for the reliability issue - honda's are renound for being unpredicably unreliable, and 10 times more expensive than anything else to rebuild/repair - if its even possible! They are disposable cars, with even more disposable motors.

I could even build me a 140kW 1.6L for my little ****box with about $10k, remaining NA and having money to spare on cleaning up the car.

P.S. pistons dont melt at high RPM. Pistons melt under excessive detonation from poor tuning.

My family has 3 Hondas and i used to own one and i can tell ya they are very reliable cars and well made to high quality standards. Their engines are also renowned around the world so i wouldn't fault them. Toyota engines are as good, just the built quality that is dissapointing nowadays.

You probably could make 140kw out of a 1.6L, that would be like the previous generation Honda Civic Type R with around 140kw stock, or the Mirage Cyborg-R. These cars easily makes 150kw when tuned lightly. But wouldn't your car have crap fuel economy because the motor would have little torque to pull it around town from the extensive NA tuning, plus you would need an upgrade in every other department too, like drivetrain, suspension, brakes etc.. That would definitely put you over $10,000 for sure, way over!

I think i was trying to say the WRX and 200sx at 8000 plus rpm which is not possible for the stock motor and ECU, and even if it is possible would produce exessive heat and that would cause bad detonation and in-turn damaged pistons.

the sportivo makes good power but doesn't have the 1/4 mile time to back it up, the type r is roughly same power but would kill a tivo and down the quarter

Agree with you mate, all due to 3 factors : the engine torque, the gear ratios and gear shifter. More torque from Type-R engine at lower revs (6000rpm for type-R and 6800rpm for Sportivos), the gear ratios can sometimes land the Sportivo out of "Lift" in the crucial 1st to 2nd gear shift (demonstarted in car magazines), The type-R has the sweetest shift besides the S2000's and can easily shave milliseconds off the quarter mile sprint.

BUT still love the Sortivo for $15000 less than the Type R and it has 5 doors! :lol:

Well said E-Gene, Mr2-Zx6r we value your input and everyone is entitled to their opinion, however please refrain from dissing our cars. You will ***** a lot of owners in this forum if you keep this up. The sportivo is a $30000 car, give me $15,000 which is the difference between the Integra Type R to spend on mods and i guarantee that the Sportivo would s#$t all over it on the road and track. I've raced one and yes it beat me...by 3/4 of a car length. This is in stock form. And as for their build quality, are you seriouass Captain Downsideup :lol:

I wouldnt even put the sportivo and the integra type r in the same category...the 'rolla is a slightly improved small sedan/hatch whereas the type r is a 2 door sports car. Comparing them is like chalk and cheese.

Youd be better off comparing the sportivo to the astra sri, top spec focus, ect ect.

'rolla is a slightly improved small sedan/hatch whereas the type r is a 2 door sports car. Comparing them is like chalk and cheese.

so ur basically saying that no corrola is to be compared to the type r?

what about ur rolla?

The Corolla Sportivo came in 4th in the prestigious "Under $57,000 Sports Cars" category of Australia's Best Cars award for 2003. The top three were the WRX, RX8 and XR6 Turbo and there were 20 sports cars in that category and the Sportivo came in 4th, enough said :lol: A real BFYB.

CLick here

and here for the score sheet

'rolla is a slightly improved small sedan/hatch whereas the type r is a 2 door sports car. Comparing them is like chalk and cheese.

so ur basically saying that no corrola is to be compared to the type r?

what about ur rolla?

Id put my gze up against many things, but I would stoop to calling it a 'sports car'. Its a souped up hatch...I dont deny that :) I wouldnt feel let down if my car lost to a type r. Sure Id be a little dissapointed, but on stock boost and fwd its not exactly a ferrari :)

i would never compare my rolla to an ITR. Its just not in the same league, the ITR is built to be a track car with suspension designed sepcificatlly for that. (hence why it beats a 200SX on a track)

Its true, a 140kW 1.6L would be damn undriveable on the street, with very aggressive cam profiles etc... but i dont think fuel economy would be that bad. And suspension and driveline have already been upgraded, mostly. :)

I do agree that the sportivo rolla is a bargain at its price, and would be fun to own. But a sports car it is not.... magazines have a tendancy to call hotted up family cars and shopping trolleys "sports cars". To me a sports car is a purpose built car for sports use, not a sedan with a turbo etc.

Now back to the original topic... DIY buddy. Its too easy!

"rotaries are unreliable"

"hondas are unreliable"

blah blah blah. please, if you are planning to make such sweeping generalisations, you should either have hard data (and this doesn't include stories like "XYZ happened to my mate's sister's lesbian partner's mum's car") or not post it at all.

I've never heard of hondas being unreliable, in fact I've only ever heard the opposite.

j.

The Corolla Sportivo came in 4th in the prestigious "Under $57,000 Sports Cars" category of Australia's Best Cars award for 2003. The top three were the WRX, RX8 and XR6 Turbo and there were 20 sports cars in that category and the Sportivo came in 4th, enough said :lol: A real BFYB.

CLick here

and here for the score sheet

Hmm yes, so what i consider a sports car in the wrx and rx8, are put in the same category as the XR6 turbo, a family sedan with grunt... and a sportivo, a car that wouldnt match any of the cars. Great magazine they got there.

and a sportivo, a car that wouldnt match any of the cars. Great magazine they got there.

<_< I dont think all they compare is performance in this category, theres more to a car than jusk Kilowatts and Torque numbers, i mean is that all you look at when buying a car? I still dont understand why it stirrs up soo many people in here, it's like the sportivo is not even a corolla. I think all you 4AGE owners are ****** off that toyota reintroduced a hot hatch back in their range, something that they didnt have since 92.

If it were forced induction, or had some insane power ratio, I'd call it a hot hatch. Its like I dont consider the astra sri a hot hatch but i'll consider the sri turbo to be one. Body kits and vvti do not maketh the car :)

And as for us 4age owners, half our cars (or the inside of em) come from japan and were never released here. So what toyota australia may or may not do is kind of irrelevant. Australia never really gets the top spec stuff anyhow. They just cant justify the numbers.

guys im not dissing the corolla sportivo, they seem like a good car and all, all im saying that on paper it looks great ie figures but when it comes down to putting the power down it is just dissapointing, with power like that i would expect more ie 15s standard