Fog Light install

Scott_C

Dealer has the bezels today I will pick up in the morning, give me something to do this weekend.

Not sure about the screws, Bunnings is only ten minutes down the road, thanks for the advice on aligning them up, I was wondering how that was going to be achieved, even when I was looking at other options for lights.

On your drawings supplied the page of connectors shows D13, I assume this one is in the steering column? If you look at P2 Headlight Dimmer assy shows that the switch needs to be patched in on pins 3 & 4 how accessible is this?

I haven't had a look through the car yet, so tomorrow I should have a better idea and have it sorted and let the "Fog Light Group" know.

Cheers

Well the lights are installed, the hardest part was the plastic cover underneath, I had dramas with the three plastic fasteners that hold the lower section to the upper section of the wheel arch, I eventually had to break then to get them out, I have inspected them and the are a type of pop rivet and are not removable without breaking or drilling, the second side I left them in and dropped the cover half out, it was a bit more awkward to screw the lights in but it only took ten minutes.

Only two of the four mounting lugs are used, you need to be sure that the opposite two are located into a cutout and a recess alternatively, they then sit firmly into place using

10g X 12mm self tapping screws some are supplied with the kit.

Wiring in the Aux switch which comes with the kit, has not been done yet, due to difficulty accessing the relay and wiring, I am not too concerned about this yet and will keep you posted.

post-7900-1211090768_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Don,

How are you going with the auxilliary switch?

As per Scott's photos D13 is accessible by removing the cover. I will try connecting pins 3 & 4 this weekend.

By the way I have installed the foggies already and I am leaning more in doing an external switch rather than replacing the stalk.

Cheers

Joe D

Dealer has the bezels today I will pick up in the morning, give me something to do this weekend.

Not sure about the screws, Bunnings is only ten minutes down the road, thanks for the advice on aligning them up, I was wondering how that was going to be achieved, even when I was looking at other options for lights.

On your drawings supplied the page of connectors shows D13, I assume this one is in the steering column? If you look at P2 Headlight Dimmer assy shows that the switch needs to be patched in on pins 3 & 4 how accessible is this?

I haven't had a look through the car yet, so tomorrow I should have a better idea and have it sorted and let the "Fog Light Group" know.

Cheers

Don,

As per Scott's photos D13 is accessible by removing the cover. I will try connecting pins 3 & 4 this weekend.

By the way I have installed the foggies already and I am leaning more in doing an external switch rather than replacing the stalk.

Cheers

Joe D

Cheers

Well done Joe D

I assume you have a wiring diagram, pins 3 and 4 should be colour coded and if you can access them it shouldnt be too difficult, you may want to get professional confirmation or if you are electrical minded you might agree with me that this should produce the right result.

I am interstate at the moment and do not have the Kluger with me, so I would be delighted if you mange to get this Aux switch up and running before me.

Have you tried taking out the dummy switch and fitting the new one yet.

everything else should be in place as Scott pointed out, "Good Luck"

Don H

Don,

Cheers

Joe D

Cheers

Well done Joe D

I assume you have a wiring diagram, pins 3 and 4 should be colour coded and if you can access them it shouldnt be too difficult, you may want to get professional confirmation or if you are electrical minded you might agree with me that this should produce the right result.

I am interstate at the moment and do not have the Kluger with me, so I would be delighted if you mange to get this Aux switch up and running before me.

Don H

Don

I have installed the external switch and as you have concluded it is 3 & 4 pins. I cut the two wires from D13 which are separate anyway. Everything is working fine. There is a spare blank hole for the switch beside the instrument dimmer switch. That is the one I have used.

Hope yours will work as well.

Joe

Don,

Cheers

Joe D

Cheers

Well done Joe D

Don H

Don

I have installed the external switch and as you have concluded it is 3 & 4 pins. I cut the two wires from D13 which are separate anyway. Everything is working fine. There is a spare blank hole for the switch beside the instrument dimmer switch. That is the one I have used.

Joe

Thats great Joe I am very pleased to hear that, did you take any photos in the region of D13, and how you completed the tie in?

Getting access to D13 was easy by removing the steering column cover??

DHOUS

Don,

Cheers

Joe D

Cheers

Well done Joe D

Don H

Don

Joe

Thats great Joe I am very pleased to hear that, did you take any photos in the region of D13, and how you completed the tie in?

Getting access to D13 was easy by removing the steering column cover??

DHOUS

Don

Access to D13 is by removing the steering column cover. I cut the two wires (3&4) and spliced it to the switch. I did not take Photos but you can view the steering wheel removal pix from Scott. D13 is the one he removed underneath the stalk.

By the way it does not matter which ever way you connect the two wires to the switch wires. If your switch has a light monitor it will have 3 wires. The black one is a ground wire for the light monitor. Anyway the instrument panel has a fog light lamp monitor as well, so in may case I just used a simple on and off switch.

Joe

Hi Joe, dont forget to at least post an exterior shot of your Kluger with the foggies on!

KXR Fog Light owners unite! :P

Good one Scott what is the membership total

• 3 weeks later...

Joe

What was the secret to removing the steering wheel cover, I have all the hardware to do my wiring jobs this week, I had a quick look at the cover today but poor weather stopped play, the cover looks like it isnt an easy job??

Joe

What was the secret to removing the steering wheel cover, I have all the hardware to do my wiring jobs this week, I had a quick look at the cover today but poor weather stopped play, the cover looks like it isnt an easy job??

Turn your steering wheel till you see 2 screws holding the cover. Remove the screws and pop up the cover. You don't need to remove plastic liners under the front fenders. Fog lights location accessible from the top of the vehicle. Remove the battery and unscrew window washer bottle neck to gain access to the fog light area. Also your car should be already prewired for fogs. All you need is an extra button and splice it in the wires 3&4 on D13 connector. I did it couple days ago and used 3dr Yaris lights from eBay.

Edited by lucky777

Joe

Turn your steering wheel till you see 2 screws holding the cover. Remove the screws and pop up the cover. You don't need to remove plastic liners under the front fenders. Fog lights location accessible from the top of the vehicle. Remove the battery and unscrew window washer bottle neck to gain access to the fog light area. Also your car should be already prewired for fogs. All you need is an extra button and splice it in the wires 3&4 on D13 connector. I did it couple days ago and used 3dr Yaris lights from eBay.

Thanks 777 I am aware of all the other stuff, I installed the lights months ago, just havent patched in the Aux switch yet, I looked at the two screws but thought there had to be more to it than that, thats why I asked the question thanks for the response.

Don

• 7 months later...
Hi Don, its possible access could be gained to the wiring by removing the steering column covers. (and not taking off the wheel)

I do have a wiring diagram, send me a private message with your email address, and ill send it to you.

The fog circuit doesnt work in conjunction with high beam. It works independantly, but wont come on at all unless you at least have your parking lights on.

So, once your parkers are on, you can switch the fogs on and off. If you turn off your lights entirely, it will also kill the fogs.

Cheers,

Scott.

Greetings Scott,

I am new to the board. Can you send the wiring diagram to me? Unfortunately the forum won't let me send a private message.

Thanks

-Jason.

• 2 weeks later...
I should add that the switch assembly I was sold was for the Grande @ $216 - it has the extra switch position for the light sensor.

Im not sure what the KXS switch assembly is worth, but it should be cheaper. It would have the fog light dial on it.

P.S. Don and Jer - I want to see photos! We should start a 'KXR with Fog lights club' B)

Hi Scott,

Looking at doing the foglight installl you did early last year on my KXR.

Would like to go the same way as you and replace the stalk/switch assmebly. I notice your grande version has the light sensor/auto headlight control as well.

Does this work when on auto, or do you need extra sensors etc?

Thanks heaps, appreciate your help.

Why would anyone actually want to install fog lights? I'm yet to ever see a set of fog lights used by a driver in the appropriate situation. 99% of them blind oncoming traffic.

See http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/li.../fog_lamps.html

I would only want them as they look better than the plastic insert, even if they are never turned on.

Also, I think we only have a need for them in Perth once every 3-4 years. I don't know about elsewhere.

I would only want them as they look better than the plastic insert, even if they are never turned on.

Also, I think we only have a need for them in Perth once every 3-4 years. I don't know about elsewhere.

:idea: You've given me a new idea for a business venture. Sell dummy fog lights which look like the real thing. Could probably get them made in china for a couple of bucks and sell them for a third of the cost of the real ones. Will achieve the same result as far as looks are concerned but at a much cheaper cost.

• 3 months later...
Not surprising all the cables are there to start with, but well done so far.

Arm yourself with a camera and lots of pics when the steering wheel is off please :clap:

Hi guys ,

just want to tell that i have bought after market fog light i have notice that there is a vent to aircon on left side thru fog light .so you have to make space thru the side grill of fog light otherwise u r blocking it.

• 1 month later...

hi everyone,

I am new. after reading the post recently, i decided to join the RX-r floglight club. I just followed Scott's insturction step by step.

I just received the foglight bought from ebay, there is no switch and cable come with. I intend to install a switch near the dim switch like Dhous did,

where can I get the switch from? and also could someone tell me the colour of pin3 and 4 on D13 as I dont have the diagram. I think it should be easy once you know which line is (are thery all labled?)

thanks

Jack