My Project...04 Written off sportivo.FINISHED!!!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how on earth did u square up the front end in your backyard? a job like this is hard to do in a work shop let alone in your garage

it was the front driveway mate:)...firstly i drilled out every spot weld on floor pan, exhaust tunnel, wheel arches to "A pillar" on both halfs...(robot spot welds are in precise EXACT places)....line up holes...went crazy with 10mm nuts and bolts:)...

then test fitted front guards (which are bolted to front and back sections), bonnet, bumper....hey presto it lines up.....remove front panels....went and bought new mig welder, open 6 pack of jim beam's and spent 2 days and nights awake welding....and after i re welded factory spot welds i seam welded every single seem too...

STRONGER THAN ORIGINAL BUT HEAVIER THAN THE TITANIC:)

not to mention illegal....

ILLEGAL??? its called a "full sectional body repair" or "car clipping" in usa...(INSURERS AUTHORISE REPAIRERS TO DO IT AND BY LAW DONT HAVE TO TELL OWNER)

dont try this at home!

I DID

im not ripping up your work u look like u know what u doin, but i can bet the floor and chasis were buckeled, doing this type of work is illegal if not carried out in a workshop. just hope u tell the next owner the truth about this car, good luck to u.

LOL illegal is it??? Hahaha.

If that thing came out of the auctions with a sticker saying "repairable write off" then the owner can do anything they want with it and it's still eligible to go through the registration process again! Who are you to judge the validity of his repairs? Nobody, that's who. It's up to the registration inspectors at the pits to judge whether this car is registerable and obviously it's since been passed and registered. End of story. Stop ragging on somebody else's work.

P.S. the chassis work can be done in the backyard with a car-aligner; basically a jig that you mount the car on and use a series of clamps, chains and hydraulics to pull the twisted pieces back out into their original shape. Then you use manufacturer dimensions and take your measurements to ensure everything is back in the right place and on the right angle etc. Terms like "buckled chassis" tend to be irrelevant by that stage. The thing comes out straighter than it came out of the South African factory that's for sure. Quite an expensive piece of kit up front but ours has paid for itself by now. You could have seen examples of this on my car and my brother's but we have since taken our pages off this forum.

LOL illegal is it??? Hahaha.

If that thing came out of the auctions with a sticker saying "repairable write off" then the owner can do anything they want with it and it's still eligible to go through the registration process again! Who are you to judge the validity of his repairs? Nobody, that's who. It's up to the registration inspectors at the pits to judge whether this car is registerable and obviously it's since been passed and registered. End of story. Stop ragging on somebody else's work.

P.S. the chassis work can be done in the backyard with a car-aligner; basically a jig that you mount the car on and use a series of clamps, chains and hydraulics to pull the twisted pieces back out into their original shape. Then you use manufacturer dimensions and take your measurements to ensure everything is back in the right place and on the right angle etc. Terms like "buckled chassis" tend to be irrelevant by that stage. The thing comes out straighter than it came out of the South African factory that's for sure. Quite an expensive piece of kit up front but ours has paid for itself by now. You could have seen examples of this on my car and my brother's but we have since taken our pages off this forum.

Y did u remove your pages off ?? We would have loved to see it. Always enjoy a good DIY :D

Y did u remove your pages off ?? We would have loved to see it. Always enjoy a good DIY :D

My brother (Tayles) bailed on this place and I got bored of my car. Now we both have NR CAMS licences and a racecar - doing is more fun than talking about doing, just ask Bill or rollamods or Pippy :lol:

did you spray the silver sportivo red :) i want to do that

MATE INCREASE YOUR MEDICATION:):):):):):

hahahhaha

the red roughly painted areas were so i knew where to cut out......(trim damaged areas off the body...then keep only those areas on front cut:)

He was talking about the Sportivo badges on the sideskirts, not the bodywork.

Gav.

ahh crap yeah my bad was talking about the badges lol

My brother (Tayles) bailed on this place and I got bored of my car. Now we both have NR CAMS licences and a racecar - doing is more fun than talking about doing, just ask Bill or rollamods or Pippy :lol:

So what car u driving at the moment? Any pics or details?

How to get those racing licenses?

how on earth did u square up the front end in your backyard? a job like this is hard to do in a work shop let alone in your garage

it was the front driveway mate:)...firstly i drilled out every spot weld on floor pan, exhaust tunnel, wheel arches to "A pillar" on both halfs...(robot spot welds are in precise EXACT places)....line up holes...went crazy with 10mm nuts and bolts:)...

then test fitted front guards (which are bolted to front and back sections), bonnet, bumper....hey presto it lines up.....remove front panels....went and bought new mig welder, open 6 pack of jim beam's and spent 2 days and nights awake welding....and after i re welded factory spot welds i seam welded every single seem too...

STRONGER THAN ORIGINAL BUT HEAVIER THAN THE TITANIC:)

not to mention illegal....

ILLEGAL??? its called a "full sectional body repair" or "car clipping" in usa...(INSURERS AUTHORISE REPAIRERS TO DO IT AND BY LAW DONT HAVE TO TELL OWNER)

dont try this at home!

I DID

im not ripping up your work u look like u know what u doin, but i can bet the floor and chasis were buckeled, doing this type of work is illegal if not carried out in a workshop. just hope u tell the next owner the truth about this car, good luck to u.

all this guy has been doing on the forum is giving other members the ***** s and trying to show everyone how much he knows about cars by asking question on every single thing thats poking out or not yet connected on a project car then he comes around talking like mr know it all and try to show off...

:) or maybe he is just jealous..

who cares. this guy has done a good job with repairing a car. what comes out of spillage's mouth is secondary. most of you should know this by now, remember the name.

roger that jasee, would like to see the car in flesh :) from what we could see a SMASHED UP piece of metal to a perfectly good n working stivo!!!

How much you after?

who cares. this guy has done a good job with repairing a car. what comes out of spillage's mouth is secondary. most of you should know this by now, remember the name.

roger that jasee, would like to see the car in flesh :) from what we could see a SMASHED UP piece of metal to a perfectly good n working stivo!!!

How much you after?

no shiat..how many ppl can do that?? spillige..can u? :D i know i cant..so i STFU and respect this guy.. :)

haha i think there is only 1 word for spillage... Owned!

Much respect to anyone who can fix a car by themselves. We did our cars very differently to this bloke, if anyone wants to see pics you will need to pm me.

hey look as long as its done right and by the sounds of it id say it has been and as long as the rustproofing isnt compromised and it drives straight and doesnt crabwalk then theres no reason it wont last as long as any other stivo out there **** man for under 5 grand thats one commited effort with a good result

Hate to be a party pooper, but spillage has a point. If somebody has done the dodgy and left half the chassis bent and buckled then resold the car, that's really really low. I don't know if it is illegal or not, but I would be getting it checked out by professionals now it's drive-able.

Agreed it would be mega low to do it on the dodgy and sell a half-baked death machine to some poor unsuspecting money-wielder. But how do you define a professional these days? I'd be trusting blokes with engineering and other uni qualifications like my dad, brother and self to judge it's safety rather than a local "professional" with a certificate "x" in "x"... The blokes at the pits aren't exactly genius' either.

lol who am i to judge on this? i was only in the smash repair trade for 5years thats all...like i said im in no way ripping up his work, all im saying is this type of work can not be carried out at home its illegal by law. ive seen to many horror stories over the years and this type of work scares me, the cars never the same, i repeat im not ripping up his work!! so get it right lads

Well done, seems alot of time and effort has gone into this project.

Also guessing if the finished product wasnt safe to drive, dazbuster wouldnt be driving it, and it certainly doesnt seem like any corners were cut in the project.

End of the day, whether everyone agrees or disagrees with the work, he has put this thread up to share his good work with us all, so lets just congratulate him on doing something different and constructive.

I did not do this repair to make a quick 15ish grand......i did it to get a very cheap good car..

i also have a s15, vx clubby with vz front and another corolla (2004)....BUT I COULD NOT SELL A CAR I HAVE WELDED TOGETHER COS I AM NOT DODGY ..i will keep the sportivo for a cheap debt free car...(once i sort out efi problem , see other post i think its throttle position sensor cutting fuel thinking its decelerating??)

anyone bought a code reader/scanner that works on these corolla's (2zz or 1z's)??