Hi from South Aus!

Found this forum today while online and thought that I would say Hi!

I was on holidays and hired a 2000 corolla, and the day after I got home, I went out and bought a 2002 model.

I was fairly satisfied with the car, but as always found it a bit too sedate for my driving style.

An advert on the Telly caught my attention, a corolla Sportivo, 141KW and a 6 speed. 40% more power, a close-ratio 6speed - I was hooked.

The next day, I phoned the dealer and said I want! About 5 weeks later, on the 1st Aug 2003 I hopped into it with 6.9km on the clock!

I missed out on one of the first batch in SA, but the dealer managed to get hold of a Blue one from Interstate for me, they said nobody wanted the blue one's (except me)

I have had a variety of cars, from my pretty hot (130hp) '77 Lancer -thru 4wd's and now this car.

I have never had the chance to see how fast this thing goes yet, but I have had a few quick runs on the highway. The roads I drive on simply are not good enough to open it right up in the lift in 6th.

My most memorable run was against a 351blown GTO Falcon - this was pre-recall as well.

At a set of lights, I took off like I normally do ~2.5K and left them for dead, they didn't like being beaten as I was about to find out.

Next set of lights, I took off pretty much the same, but they turned it on. A quick look at the road and I had about 1.5km of straight road with no side streets, so I thought WTF!. They were about 1 1/2 bdy lengths in front by then, so boot to the floor!.

I quickly gained on them and when I hit the limiter I was 1/2 a bonnet in front. A crap change to 2nd (after bouncing off the rev-limiter 3 times) saw them get 1/2 a body in front.

I made up the lost ground until I hit the rev-limiter again, this time nose to nose, and slipped into 3rd, and lost just a bonnet to them.

3rd was pretty even all the way and I hit the rev-limiter for the 3rd time, grabbed 4th with them nose to nose.

Now, 4th I kept the power on and pulled away from them, and when I hit the rev-limiter in 4th, I was at least 3 body lengths in front! - I had whipped'em and good, so (going from the 70 zone into the 80 zone) I slipped into 6th and looked down - 185+

I then started slowing down as the next set of lights ahead had other cars stopped. A few seconds after I backed off the boy racers finally caught up, but not until I had slowed somewhat! They were not amused, that is for sure!

I just cant wait until the day I have a nice bit of road to do that 1-6!

Like a lot of other people have noted, I have also seen a lot more on the road over the last 3-4 months!, When I got mine, I did not see another one on the road until the beginning of 04.

Anyway, after reading here, I guess I know where my next $6k is going ;)

YAY, good to see another South Aussie in a blue baby!!! (Even though I've moved, SA is still home for me :D)

What part of Adelaide are you from??? Which dealer did you pick it up from?

Anyway's welcome mate and next time I'm over visiting family and friends, we'll have to go on a Blue parade up Gorge Road and back down Norton Summit, or a run down through Second Valley to Victor Harbor and back through Bull Creek and Kangarilla (my 2 favourite runs) :D....

Cheers

Dylan

Hi all and thanks for the welcome!

NE suburbs - St Agnes way.

Favourite run has to be NE road from the top near the Pub at Tea Tree Gully up thru the Chain of ponds to Birdwood - Always have a problem getting into 4th on that run - and always in the lift!

I Bought my '02 rolla from Peter Davey on Main North Road, and went back there to buy the Stivo. Get them to do the service as well, and they have been pretty good!

I had a bit of a bitch after the recall and said it was lacking power. They took it back, and had it for a day and did a full diagnosis on it and of course told me that they could not find a thing wrong. But it was strange how as soon as I turned onto the main road when I picked it up, It was like my old car again!

I must have been pretty lucky, as the only problem I have is a horrid sound from the front end about half the time when going over speedhumps. They are going to be asked to sort that out at the next service.

BTW, that fast run was lined up at Western End of Kings Road at MN Road lights near Parafield airport, West along Kings Road.

I must have been pretty lucky, as the only problem I have is a horrid sound from the front end about half the time when going over speedhumps.  They are going to be asked to sort that out at the next service.

That Horrid sound would'nt happen to be a "swooshing" sound when you go over speed bumps ??

Mine does this ...also sometimes more than other times. But the two dealers I took it to said that it was normal.

Anyway's .... I've since fitted a set of Eibach's and cant claim for anything on the shocks anymore ... but who cares ... the ride is something else :D

NE suburbs - St Agnes way.

Favourite run has to be NE road from the top near the Pub at Tea Tree Gully up thru the Chain of ponds to Birdwood - Always have a problem getting into 4th on that run - and always in the lift!

I Bought my '02 rolla from Peter Davey on Main North Road, and went back there to buy the Stivo.  Get them to do the service as well, and they have been pretty good!

I had a bit of a bitch after the recall and said it was lacking power.  They took it back, and had it for a day and did a full diagnosis on it and of course told me that they could not find a thing wrong.  But it was strange how as soon as I turned onto the main road when I picked it up, It was like my old car again!

I must have been pretty lucky, as the only problem I have is a horrid sound from the front end about half the time when going over speedhumps.  They are going to be asked to sort that out at the next service.

BTW, that fast run was lined up at Western End of Kings Road at MN Road lights near Parafield airport, West along Kings Road.

The other 2 guys from Sth Aus on here are from North and NE also, I'm a Southerner though, Aberfoyle Park, so used to do a hell of a lot of hill runs through Blackwood, esp when I had a g/f up there, managed to get from her place to my folks place in 7 minutes through Corromandel Valley. Kings road is good for teaching the Commie drivers a thing or 7 too, there are plenty of them out there too!!!! I used to have great fun when I headed out to the Northern Burbs.

Bought mine from Graham Cornes Toyota, who are superb and I really miss the extra care they took over here. The guys at Wollongong Toyota are OK but just don't match up!!!!

The speed hump problem is a b***h I get that too and had it looked at and they tightened a few things and told me to monitor it, but it hasn't gone away so they'll be asked to look at it again.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day.

I'm another one from SA. Not many sportivo's around but I normally get a smile from the driver if I see one.

Australia day I saw a sportivo at the start of the Australia day cruise. not sure who it and hoped meet them but missed the opportunity.

Do you guys belong to a club, might be time for me to join one.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...
My most memorable run was against a 351blown GTO Falcon - this was pre-recall as well.

>>.............>>

Now, 4th I kept the power on and pulled away from them, and when I hit the rev-limiter in 4th, I was at least 3 body lengths in front! - I had whipped'em and good, so (going from the 70 zone into the 80 zone) I slipped into 6th and looked down - 185+

Welcome to the forum.

Up against at 351 blown GTO Falcon and beating it with a Stivo, I find that hard to believe.

Ford produces Ford Falcon GT and GT-P's with about 290kw. Holden produces GTO and GTS with 297 and 300kw each. (Unblown and Standard). They are stock 13 second quarter mile cars dude.

And also owning one of these beast in the past with 300+kw, I find it very hard to believe that you kept up with it.

p.s. SPEED KILLS!

Edited by sport1vo

Maybe he meant the older GTHO?

They still have a bit of get up and go in them though.

**** driver maybe?

Oh and yes don't brag about doing those sort of things champ.

a). Police may read this and eventually find you/track you down.

B). What if a little kid ran out on the road. Don't think you'd be ever trying to hit lift in 6th again...

Maybe he meant the older GTHO?

Yep - it was an older car....

They still have a bit of get up and go in them though.

**** driver maybe?

Oh and yes don't brag about doing those sort of things champ.

a). Police may read this and eventually find you/track you down.

B). What if a little kid ran out on the road.  Don't think you'd be ever trying to hit lift in 6th again...

< flame suit on >

Well, let me put it this way for you -- do you know the road I was talking about? have you ever driven on it?

I will be the first to say that there is a time and a place to try out your car. And you would be BS'ing everyone if you say you have never exceeded the speed limit.

The road Has an Airport on one side of it with 8 ft tall fences, and open paddocks on the other side of it.

There are no side streets it is 2 lanes each way divided road with no breaks in the medium strip.

The traffic was very light - There were no vehicles on the road for over 2km in front of me.

Visibility was perfect It was mid afternoon on a sunny day.

The nearest house to this area is a long way away, and I was driving AWAY from them.

your post insinuates that I am an idiot for doing this ....

I would consider myself to be better than average driver - I have been a member of Car Clubs and have done 4 advanced driving courses. I know how my car handles and know how to handle it.

Yes, I do drive Fast at times, but I never put myself or anyone else at danger Whenever I decide to exceed the speed limits, it is never outside of the prevailing conditions.

I regularly drive on Highways that have speed limits posted on them that I would Never consider doing - the posted speeds are way too high for the roads even under ideal conditions.

< flame suit off >

I will be the first to say that some of the speed limits (well most) on a lot of our roads are certainly not right - a lot are way too slow and a lot are way too fast.

I have driven on highways at much higher speeds than this - I have done a 640Km trip in 3 1/4 hours at an average speed of 197km/h There were parts of this trip that I was doing much less than the posted 110 speed limit - simply because the roads were not suitable to go any faster. Of course there were parts of this trip where I was going quite a bit faster than 200km/h as well.

Oh, just so you don't get the wrong Idea, on that trip, I overtook only 3 vehicles in the 640km, and only passed about 10 vehicles coming in the other direction. I was simply driving within the PREVAILING CONDITIONS.

I would never advocate to anyone to drive faster than any posted speed limit without considering the consequences of their actions.

1971 Ford Falcon XY GT HO Phase III (approx 293-298kw); stock as a rock, Quarter Mile in 14.4secs.

I still find it hard to believe.

SPEED KILLS.

Edited by sport1vo