Question about the Aurion's smoothness on roads

PsychoRez

Hello.

I've been wondering about this for a while now, And its almost impossible for me to know the answer to this.

I lately been paying attention to how the car performs on the roads, And really began to notice how firm it really is. Its like i can feel every single bump on the road. And some of the roads in my country are f.u.c.k.e.d up, And then some. Most city indoor roads anyway, Especially the ones near my house. And lately they've been doing some construction on the roads and actually managed to **** it up even more, I feel like chunks of rubber get torn off my tires every time i go through.

Anyway, Is this a normal thing?, To feel every single tiny uneven surface on the road?. I'm not complaining, I just want to know if this is the case with all other Aurions out there and not just mine.

It could be a number of reasons, Like maybe ALL the roads in my country aren't straight?.

Or maybe its because of my tires?, I have been riding pretty hard lately, Screeching out once or twice every day *Not anymore though*. The other day i took a look at my tires and noticed chunks of rubber missing, It could be the screeching or the roads, I'm blaming the roads. Can that have a big effect on driving softness?. I really don't remember if it was always like this.

I am HOPING its nothing serious, That it is just how the Aurion is. So anybody care to help out?. Thanks!.

Edited by PsychoRez

mines really firm i actully thought the cops (because my car is an ex gov. car) that they put stiffer springs in but after feeling the firmness of other aurions i soon realised that thats how they were. so yes my aurion is also the same and every bump u can certainly feel. i do really like this tho

I can't fully comment on this since I have a Sportivo which I would say has stiffer suspension than you Grande. I must say though, the suspension on the Aurion is really 'bouncy' but solid. It's the kind of solid bounce where you can feel you rear end bouncing up and down in the seat. I would be guessing that the suspension in your Aurion would be bouncy as well, just a bit softer. The best people here to provide opinions for you would be the AT-X or Presara owners.

You mentioned how you only noticed it more recently. In regards to that, maybe you're just getting more used to it. Like when I first drove my Aurion, the initial few weeks I though the ride was extremely smooth. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I realised the stiffness in the suspension.

I would assume that it's a different suspension tune, unique to the Gulf States. Toyota Australia had a unique suspension tune for Gulf States destined Camrys a long time ago, and, at that same time, they also had a firmer suspension tune for the New Zealand market too, courtesy of Chris Amon, a Kiwi ex Formula One driver, who tuned all the Toyotas for NZ, from 1984 until the pre 2002 Toyota Camry models.

But you'll probably find that your Aurion will handle exceptionally well on sand and gravel roads, but at the expense of handling and high speed stability, compared to Aust and NZ spec models, which are both equally firmer. You'll also find that the Gulf States spec Aurion will also have more ground clearance.

Put some 19" rims on there and u will definately feel EVERYTHING! Makes it more fun IMO :D

I have a Presara and the suspension and overall handling is definitely lacking. I think it is a combination of a soft setup and the balloonish 215/55 tyres. Definitely not as good as the Sportivo setup and needs the Strut Bar and probably some better wheels and tyres. On all models I feel the 7 inch wide rim should have been at least 7.5 inch and that way some decent tyres vould be fitted.

Ive got 19s with low profiles and i dont think it rides too bad

its better then previous cars with larger rims ive had

Its not perfect but i like the firmness, except for the few streets close to my house which are pretty terrible its good on the highway etc

probably not as firm as my work VE SS on 18s

does anyone know of replacement shocks for the aurion ? have checked my local pedders and they told me nothing available.

FAT

Its not perfect but i like the firmness, except for the few streets close to my house which are pretty terrible its good on the highway etc

does anyone know of replacement shocks for the aurion ? have checked my local pedders and they told me nothing available.

FAT

Have you checked KYB or some other suspension brands?

I am quite sure they have some.

Also, just a quick note that any suspension parts of camry 2007+ are compatible with aurion.

• 2 weeks later...

i live in sydney and i just came back from melbourne and i am never going on a 8 to 9 hour trip in the aurion ever again. the springs are sooo bumpy and the scraping over millions of speedhumps in melbourne streets, even here, i hate it but i got to put up with it

i live in sydney and i just came back from melbourne and i am never going on a 8 to 9 hour trip in the aurion ever again. the springs are sooo bumpy and the scraping over millions of speedhumps in melbourne streets, even here, i hate it but i got to put up with it

Isn't the idea of having a Sportivo version to have the firmer suspension though... I have an ATX and am forever complaining about how spongy it feels... Just my two cents though

Isn't the idea of having a Sportivo version to have the firmer suspension though... I have an ATX and am forever complaining about how spongy it feels... Just my two cents though

yeah i know that it is supposed to be firmer but i was loking at buying the car i drove the at-x and the dealer said that the sportivo was not much bumpier but turns out it is.

Wouldn't feeling the bumps have heaps to do with the 19's and low profile tyres. If you want the bolevade ride maybe stick with 17's or even 16's :)

Edited by nathanb

Wouldn't feeling the bumps have heaps to do with the 19's and low profile tyres. If you want the bolevade ride maybe stick with 17's or even 16's :)

yeah they do, but you only really feel the bumps if you have 15 profile tyres, but i reckon mine feel nearly like the 15 profiles but mine are 35's. i just dont get it.

yeah the Aurion feels bouncy on bumpy roads

at first I thought its due to the soft non-Sportivo suspension

as it didn't feel like that on our Camry Touring (precursor to Sportivo)

fortunately the Aurion does feel better on rough but not bumpy roads

but now I find the suspension a bit on the firm side

especially after limited comparison with my friend's Commodore Sportswagon

I've came to hate concrete roads (eg. Liverpool Road, Ashfield)

Ashfield_Liverpool_Road.JPG

and love the asphalt roads (eg. Parramatta Road, Camperdown)

Parramatta_Road_near_University_of_Sydney.jpg

Sydney has plenty of those worn bumpy concrete roads

on the other hand I mostly saw asphalt roads in Brisbane

this might explain the popularity of Aurion in Brisbane on this forum

Good theory there. For a majority of travellers around here in Brisbane, the only stretch of road we have that would be close to that one in your first photo, would be these sections we have of the M1. They opted for cement sections of road instead of asphalt and whenever you go over the joining sections (at 110km/h) you definitely feel a little bounce. Apart from that, our roads aren't too bad. There are some pretty bad areas though where the road just doesn't get fixed.

Good theory there. For a majority of travellers around here in Brisbane, the only stretch of road we have that would be close to that one in your first photo, would be these sections we have of the M1. They opted for cement sections of road instead of asphalt and whenever you go over the joining sections (at 110km/h) you definitely feel a little bounce. Apart from that, our roads aren't too bad. There are some pretty bad areas though where the road just doesn't get fixed.

With that now said i can definatly agree... even in the ATX those concrete roads up and down the coast feeling like your driving on a 4WD track...

They opted for cement sections of road instead of asphalt and whenever you go over the joining sections (at 110km/h) you definitely feel a little bounce.

those type of concrete or cement roads are like bouncy by design

full of joining sections, like every 2 metres

at 70km/h its like bouncy and floaty

at 25km/h its like springy (to me worse)

never at 110km/h though, those roads are usually highways not motorways or freeways

anyway its worse than a "little bounce"

there are enough of that bad type of road around that I don't think they'll become a minority in Sydney any time soon

also at various stages I wondered if my car is faulty

none of the my friends or relatives have an Aurion so I can't compare