AEM CAI

Just a quick question for anyone who has the AEM CAI. Can you remember the approx weight and dimension of it in the packaging. My brother in law is coming over from Canada in a few weeks and I wanted to know if it would fit in his luggage?

This is for the full Cold Air Induction kit, the same as fitted to Exec6's Stivo.

Thanks in advance.

Well mine arrived in a TRD motorsports box, however the ***** is a pain to fit, it just doesent sit like i expected, the pod rubs against my left foglight. A major pain, and following those instructions is confusing. Im gona wait a few more days till i get in contact with Peekay. Took me a couple of hours to take the original air box etc out, fit the TRD, then couldnt figure out some tubes so i put the original stuff back in. Im feling :angry:. The Matrix is just a little bit different.

Lucio and Exec6, thanks for the help guys. I have just arranged the purchase of the AEM kit.

Hey is there any chance Exec that you would be able to post some pics of the intake or more specifically shots of the areas that you had to modify to fit it. I have seen the photo of your intake installed but it is a little hard to see the brackets.

Thanks again guys.

Yeah they are the 2 links I followed for my install.... Bare in mind the Matrix is Left Hand drive and the Rolla is Right.. You will find there are a few differences... Minor only.. However if you get stuck Im sure we can help.. I can get mine in and out of the car in like 30 minutes now... Make sure you have spare cable ties.. ;)

Well, after all the trouble I have gone to researching all the different intakes and getting the best price, I just contacted my insurer - GIO - who have advised me that they will not accept any performance enhancing modifications to the vehicle :angry:

I am getting a really good deal on my insurance and have been looking around for another option that will allow such changes, but now I have to justify paying the extra $350 or so a year for insurance that allows the mods.

GIO's justification for not allowing the mod was terrible, they said that if I was to write the car off then they would not be able to calculate its value correctly with the new modification. They used the analogy of a turbo. It's not a bloody turbo it it's a cold air intake. :angry:

I did try and convince them that it was to increase fuel efficiancy - cold air combusts more efficiantly than warm etc...

That didn't work.

Im with GIO aswell and i want to get a CAI, thats a load of bull****, they shouldnt be able to knock you back for that. A CAI is just like putting an exhaust on or any other minor mod, if they pull u up for a CAI, then whats next, the exhaust, stereo or any other change

Allianz will allow 2 mods and thats all. NRMA allow multiple mods provided they are not turbo or 18" rims ...they will allow you to drop the car 30 mm change the exhaust, cai.... . Other choice is try Just Cars which is owned by AAMI they allow up to 12 mods even a turbo.

Some Insurance companies have the view that anyone who modifies a car falls into the stereotypical lout/street racer macho bull**** image of say the 'Fast & the Furious'. So do not wish to cover what they perceive is a much greater risk. They wish to stay conservative. SAFE!

If you do not like it look around. My current insurance only allows two mods no more. As I have planned out a few major performance mods over the next 3 months (taking the engine out to a target of approx 165 - 170kw at the flywheel) and a complete handling package, I am organising a new insurance company. The new policy is going to cost me about $400 a year more but I think its worth it to drive a car how I like it to be.

The much bigger smile on my face and pride in my car is certainly worth $10 a week more and it's all then fully covered with no worries! :D

Good point Ilivefor6, what is $10 a year more.

Nikich, no exhaust mate GIO will not allow it as it enhances the performance. I was told that they do allow you to lower it and put whatever wheels you want on as long as they are RTA approved.

You will just have to wait and see illuminati. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

160kw is not to hard or expensive as I have a close friend with a 2002 Celica currently doing this. There are a few other things that work very well on type R's and S2000's that I am also going to try. If it works only 1/2 as good the stivo should be doing 165kw minimum, and without the need for opening up the engine or forced induction.

Fingers crossed and we'll wait and see!

My insurance company (AAMI) only allows 2 mods as well but they are cosmetic mods (eg. i can get 17" tyres, stereo system etc.) and not performance incentive. So tat means i can't lower the car and chuck in new suspensions..:(

<_<

Funny that, I called GIO about whether I could use a re-usable air filter and they said as long as it was RTA approved they have no problem with it. Is the CAI classified as a performance enhancement on a hot day ?