Dealer says I'm having braking issues

PsychoRez

I went to the dealer yesterday to get a slight issue with my sunroof fixed, It wasn't "automatic" but the guy fixed it with an easy reset method...

Anyway, I also told him my vehicle pulls slightly to the left "Very slightly", So we went for a test drive, He mentioned it's not a "serious" issue, But i insisted it still needed to be fixed.

During the drive the man noticed my steering wheel shakes when braking from 100Kmph or so. To be honest i was speeding right before i arrived at the place, And i did brake hard a few times at high speed so i assumed it was just the brakes tightened up because of it.

He says its not normal, That my discs need "Facing". But i dunno, My car is only 17,000KM's in so i don't see how i could be having braking issues this soon. Plus the shakes were there way before too.

I notice that the shakes happen when i brake a bit hard at 140 - 150Kmph's and beyond. I always assumed this was simply the ABS or something..., So i didn't pay much attention to it. And usually after i brake hard at those speeds the first time, Afterward it feels like the system is more "Alert" so some shaking might happen at lower speeds too.

So i don't know. My question is:

Is this Normal?. If not then how did this happen?.

Thanks in advance!.

Yeah, sounds like your rotors need machining. My rotors need it as well as I've noticed braking from above 150km/h (don't ask) sends vibration through the steering wheel. Heavy braking below that also does the same. Here we have mobile disc machining so I think when I next get the chance, I'll get mine done. Something like $30 per disc.

Under normal driving conditions, this isn't something that would happen that soon, but there are so many variables that can affect that. Rapid cooling of the rotors can cause that, such as getting them wet while they are hot. I think the one cause for mine was because of our stupid water restrictions, I use a self-serve car wash. As a result, when I was my car, my discs are usually hot. The water from the pressure hose ultimately ends up spraying the discs which cause them to cool rapidly. I was my car at least once a week, so it all added up I guess.

So basically, There is no way to avoid it?. I take my car to the car wash every now and then, And i usually drive fast so my discs are also usually hot. I actually touched one of them once, And i wasn't even driving for long, It almost melted my finger.

So basically i have to avoid the car wash?. Or make sure my discs aren't too hot before i go through one?. Bah.

Well thanks anyway!. Its good to know this is a normal thing.

Your steering wheel shudders when you brake at high speeds because the thickness of the rotors differs from the left and right. Machining evens them out but also reduces the thickness as you are taking material off to make sure they are both of the same thickness. Looking that your car is quite new-ish ..... that shouldn't be a problem although do keep in mind that your rotars must have a minimum thickness for it to be effective. Too thin and it might affect your braking distance, etc .....

It is normal and will happen to any car, new or old so I won't worry about it. It is a serviceable part anyway.

Not sure if this applies to Aurion but the dealer should be able to do it for u FOC because its only 17,000KM and assuming that its also less than 3 years old.

Cheers.

this will happen and if your on the brakes a bit IE - driving in heavy traffic etc this can do it , my girlfriends car is an 04 model and it requires the same thing although we will be doing it only when it becomes worse

Every single corolla sportivo has this issue. I've really lost faith in Toyota. I replaced mine with RDA rotors.

Best thing to do is get it fixed under warranty every time it happens, then out of warranty replace with aftermarket.

Thanks for the reply everybody!.

Best thing to do is get it fixed under warranty every time it happens, then out of warranty replace with aftermarket.

They told me they'll CHARGE me for it..

I have been thinking about this after the check, It SHOULD be fixed under the warranty shouldn't it?.

Every single corolla sportivo has this issue. I've really lost faith in Toyota. I replaced mine with RDA rotors.

id be more inclined to say that people don't know how to apply their brakes correctly i know quite a few people with late model corollas and tivos etc that have had no issues

Dude,

I don't think this is covered by warranty as it wear and tear same with tyres - RDA rotors are very good if toyota hasn't used them.

but anyone else correct me if Iam wrong.

Azza

Edited by Azza73

I am yet to have this issue with my Aurion, though I have had it on my motorcycles in the past.

Heat, and uneven cooling was the culprit. After a fun mountain blast, with heavy braking in corners etc and getting the discs hot, when coming to a stop it's advisable to not hold the pads on the same spot on the disc. That creates a hot spot and can encourage slight warpage which you'll feel as a pulsation thru the brakes.

Best to allow the pads to move off the one spot..eg, at lights if facing downhill just stop a little further back and slowly allow the car to roll forward a little...or backwards if facing uphill.

Or, use the handbrake..

I have been thinking about this after the check, It SHOULD be fixed under the warranty shouldn't it?.

It is definitely covered by warranty unless you ran out already.. So don't let them charge you for machining the rotors. This happens to all the new Prado's all the time with low kilometers.

It is definitely covered by warranty unless you ran out already.. So don't let them charge you for machining the rotors. This happens to all the new Prado's all the time with low kilometers.

Sorry for ignorance but how is this covered by warranty? when its part of everydays wear and tear?

Azza

Sorry for ignorance but how is this covered by warranty? when its part of everydays wear and tear?

Azza

Its not normal for a vehicle to have excessive rotor run out at 17,000kms. Unless you count that as normal wear and tear. I wouldn't be happy to be paying for new rotors/machining every 20,000kms

while it is not normal to have much warping at such low km's, it is still NOT covered by warranty as it is considered a highly serviceable part subject to everyday wear and tear, and can be easily replaced. if you care to read over the schedule for any car warranty, you will find that brake components such as discs and pads are not covered, whereas things like calipers are.

it's like arguing that you air filter beomces clogged with use and you want to get another for free under warranty. it just will not happen

Your steering wheel shudders when you brake at high speeds because the thickness of the rotors differs from the left and right. Machining evens them out but also reduces the thickness as you are taking material off to make sure they are both of the same thickness. Looking that your car is quite new-ish ..... that shouldn't be a problem although do keep in mind that your rotars must have a minimum thickness for it to be effective. Too thin and it might affect your braking distance, etc .....

It is normal and will happen to any car, new or old so I won't worry about it. It is a serviceable part anyway.

Not sure if this applies to Aurion but the dealer should be able to do it for u FOC because its only 17,000KM and assuming that its also less than 3 years old.

Cheers.

hmmmm Guni.. its definately worth worrying about. anything to do with your stopping power is of great concern if is not working to the best of its abilities.

definately Warped Discs causing the vibration.... the thickness from left to right wouldnt cause a shuddering... obviously its not ideal.. but the way hydraulics work wouldnt cause any problem like that.

Gettng the warps machined out should be a fairly inexpensive procedure, but i have heard that the SA delivered spotivo's have always had some prety bad brakes as stock. something about th compound they used in the rotors being exceptionaly susceptible to warping.

as mentioned above... try not to spray the cars brakes with water straight after yu've been driving to the carwash... i dont mind waiting behind another car for this reason.

good luck with the brakes, and let us know if toyota fixes it for you.

The brakes on the Sportivo Corolla's are great...

It's the other South African made Corolla's brakes that have very fast wear, but that isnt due to poor quality, it's due to them being made to European Specifications... Most Euro cars will go through brakes every 20,000kms, thats why if you look at a Holden Astra, Ford Focus, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes and the SA Corolla, you'll see the brake discs have wear lips on them... Normal for European Designed Components...

Very difficult to get warranty on brakes in the Middle East from any auto dealer let alone Toyota. Brakes are regarded as "normal wear and tear" like others here said plus they gonna say that its BECAUSE OF the hard braking at high speeds...so its your fault ( they saying..not me :) ). Its possible to claim warranty on brakes if within the the first 5000 Km or so but with 17000 km ... i doubt it. Mine is about 18000 km and is doing the same thing. I'm ignoring it for as long as I can. I believe there might be a brake service at the 25k or 30k scheduled service so i will have taken care of it then.