My Corolla

dorifto

lol Lee, you crack me up sometimes! It's just a blood Corolla :P

Ok update time

Managed to get some 'OPTION' vinyl cut decals. 'OPTION' is a car magazine in Japan famous for the in-depth feature of cars and DIY's - plus I like the design of it so why not! Bringing the rice boy out of me :rolleyes:

2dtvygo.jpg

mbh5bd.jpg

Instantly felt the extra 10hp!

Scored a Whiteline rear strut brace from Casey, champ offered me free courier fees on top

2prfmsx.jpg

1zcz9yg.jpg

After I polished her up. Haven't pushed it but I'm sure it'll make some sort of difference. Perhaps it'll limit my 3-wheeling around Winton now :ph34r:

Also fitted a front pair of weathershields/rain deflectors (from the US) as my original Toyota one had cracked. New one is slightly short but is tinted and in better condition so I'm happy overall!

Lastly, heres' a vid of the exhaust note - I was asked if mine was loud/droney/raspy a few times so I'll let you be the judge. It's sort of loud I guess..

Thanks for looking

Update time

2lapkpj.jpg

p1tud.jpg

hv1klc.jpg

Been collecting bits for awhile and only now did I put it together to see what I was in for. The relocator kit is from the U.S with Speedflow fittings, I had the exact same kit I sold awhile back so it's good to get another. The gauge is an Omori Dual Gauge (reads both oil Temp/Pressure - just push the button on the gauge), got it complete with sandwhich plate, wiring harness, Temp/Pressure fittings, 2 thread adpators to fit various types of oil filters and also the gauge itself. Fitted a new Coopers oil filter while I was at it too, don't worry I change my oil/oil filter often so the quality doesn't worry me too much.

Only issue is, the braided lines from the block to the relocator is abit too short, I'm in need of something about a meter long and man, it's a tight fit everywhere.

Thanks for looking :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went about changing the rear rotors as they were still OEM items and had seen enough abuse. Pretty sure they were pass the minimum thickness (8mm) so more reason to go slotted RDA's.

14od3l.jpg

Along the way, I encountered a dilemma: the 315,000+km old rotor had essentially mated onto the spindle/hub and no amount of WD40 and tapping was going to get it off. Fair enough, I remembered my brothers changing the rotors on the JZX100 Chaser and it had the same issue and the eldest brother used a bolt that screwed into the rotor to act as a lever/pusher. Rummaging through some spare bolts, el-presto! I found 2 that were a snug fit. Slowly but surely, the rotor began to slide forward and detach itself.

30t1gs3.jpg

And off it she comes! You can see the bolt still attached to the old one. OEM vs RDA slotted

24yusyg.jpg

Fitted, boy they look so much better! Still in the bedding-in phase but does 'feel' slightly better on the brakes.

Wheel and tires will be sorted on Friday making it essentially ready for another Time Attack at Winton.

Ok! So the long awaited update has come lol - I'll cut straight to it and will give you guys the breakdown of my sessions and a description of how each went.

Session 1

2:01.2470

1:47.9490

2:00.3110

My friend rode shot gun for Session 1. I only did 3 flying laps but still got very close to my previous PB of 1.47.8410 in the 2nd flyer. The first flying was taking it easy, some traffic here and there and just to let her get a feel of things. Third lap, I missed gear-shift on corner one and got the back-end way out (didn't spin) upon the entry to the back straight. Called it quits early but things were looking promising with a clear day and temps starting to climb albeit slowly

Session 2

2:02.2900

1:50.2170

1:47.5220**PB

1:47.6860

Went out, went hard and got owned lol With the new semi's strapped on I didn't get enough time to learn with them; I peeled off the tire sticker plaque thing as I fitted the wheels there to be honest. 1st lap was a warm up lap with abit of traffic, 2nd lap was doing ok but miss-geared a corner and encountered an EVO 8 MR - had to wait for him to let me through (I let him out in pre-grid first thinking he'd be much faster). Next two laps the sun came out and I managed two clean flyers (flying laps). I knew the car was feeling better but didn't know how much until I got back to check results. Was abit dissapointed to be honest. The car felt great, rear end noticeable more stable with the rear brace but was still tail-happy with throttle lift-off. Brakes became very spongey mid way through. Sad monkey.

Session 3

2:10.8470

1:47.0650

1:46.6790**PB

Tire pressure gauge was playing up but still managed to record some readings after I lowered tire pressure all 'round. Probably wasn't too accurate but nonetheless; I went out again. Traffic sifted through and onto my lap sprints. Bam! Car felt almost spot-on, better on the brakes, more cornering grip and had more confidence attacking the apexs. I really wanted a 1.46 but had no idea I ripped out a 1.46.6790 - I was over the moon to say the least. Have to attribute much of the work to negating tire pressures in return for better braking, lol you can tell I've done way too many track days haha!

Session 4

2:04.2860

1:46.4920

1:46.1170***PB

2:22.3400

1:46.4570

This one gets interesting. So I fire the car up ready to go out for Session 4 and theres a squeak, which turns into a squeal: then a very LOUD squeal. Two mechanics come rushing over and assess the problem to be a loose power-steering belt. Abit iffy I asked if they thought it'd be ok to race; they dismissed the question and off I went with my squealing pig. EVERYONE noticed the bloody thing, before I was let out I was questioned but reassured the organisers it was just a p/s belt. Off I went! The squealing ceased after I picked up some speed. After the warm up lap I got into the flying laps and the car felt good, even pushed exceptionally hard, she refused to falter! I decided it was enough but as I was about to finish my cool-down lap I thought 'One more!' So I went at it, again. Pushed it like I did the previous two laps and then called it a day. As I rolled into my parking slot, one of the mechanic guys noticed a leak; it was a 'drop drop drop drop drop' deal as I rolled in my parking and my power steering squeal was off NO help. I later learnt from my friend that I had blitzed my 'previous' PB by half a second and managed a best of 1.46.117

With 2 guys crawling over and above the car, they couldn't find the source of the leak however it's from the distributor area (yes I have a leaking dizzy but it doesn't leak that much). They think it's either the stock sandwich plate, oil filter or one of the oil cooler lines that it's leaking from; thing is, it only drips when the car runs. Anyway, I managed to limp the car some 250km's home with three short breaks to check she was ok. Oddly enough, it didn't seem like I lost any oil but will confirm that tomorrow.

I wasn't the only one suffering issues either. 2 friends that competed on the day that I know ran into issues of their own; one had a waste-gate fail on him causing it to boost spike or not boost at all. The other destroyed 3rd and has messaged me saying he got home, interestingly :P Regardless, it's been a top notch day and weather held up great, the wind and rain was upon Winton as we left so it was good that I could make the most of it.

As for the tires? Heres' a photo of after doing a drive around the pitting area to make sure it was all good and ready to go

vcqs92.jpg

More photo's and maybe a vid to come :)

glad you made it back safely! Saw a few cars with hazard lights on the way back and hoping it wasn't going to be you.

btw update your sig :D

Thanks for coming to spectate and help me out, meant alot to me! :)

I should update my signature too.. haha

I don't know what magic you'll pull out but I'm hoping my 5 second buffer will be good enough to withstand the force of your Lift :P

either way its respect to you. shows that you don't need a powerful engine to kick butt

but if i dont beat you, i shouldn't represent corolla sportivos anymore HAHA joking :P

as borat says... "VERY NAISSS! I LIKE!" Heh.gif

but if i dont beat you, i shouldn't represent corolla sportivos anymore HAHA joking :P

Don't worry, you're the faster Sportivo I know out there. I've seen a race-spec Sportivo out but that's a whole new ball game.

And onto pics!

p5080007.jpg

5703320237_d6bd9fa733_b.jpg

I updated my signature as well. Thanks for looking

Edited by dorifto

• 3 months later...

Looks like it's part out time for the Corolla. I may have a bottom end knock. Very much sucks and I can no longer justify fixing it so it's going to be relocated and parted out. If anyone is keen on parts then here's your chance