My Corolla

dorifto

2wdarty.jpg

Heat shield Version 2.0 incorporates extra fittings and a slightly better fit so I got to drilling a small hole..

2d8ompz.jpg

...then a bigger one

30ixmkp.jpg

Test fitting

30mldz8.jpg

Clears intake fitting and cutting for heater hose is a snug, but good fit

2nqtbi0.jpg

More measurements, bending and cutting. Almost there!

2dkh9jo.jpg

Trial fitted again to check clearances and overall fit and finish

29xw8dj.jpg

Domokun approved!

As mentioned earlier, I still have some work to do. Going to find me some pinchwell rubber seal to go around the heat shield as it's fairly abrasive - a cut heater hose on the circuit or road wouldn't be nice that's for sure! Still need to fit the L bracket, find a rubber grommet for the intake fitting and general tidying up. Overall, I'm quite happy with how it turned out :D

To be continued..!

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice car mate

I see that you have replaced the original bulbs in the dash cluster and I'm interested in changing mine as well, but first I wanted to ask you if you replaced your bulbs with LED's, or just bought replacement bulbs? Also, would you be able to tell me the size bulb/LED in the instrument cluster if possible (eg. #74, #194, T5, etc)?? After a little bit of web searching I am thouroughly confused :wacko:

Any information would be a great help and much appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for compliment :)

The cluster lights were replaced with Phillips T10 amber bulbs. These are by far better than any other bulbs I've used and are bright! Was never fond of blue lights so amber was a nice touch from the eerie green-white colour from stock. The small bulbs in the switches and the heater controls are T5 size and I used red light globe sleeves.

71oa6e.jpg

Like those ones but in a T-5 size.

Also heres a tip, before you remove the cluster, undo the speedo cable from behind the firewall. Once you undo it, you can wriggle the cluster forward and then undo the plug at the back by twisting it anti-clockwise I think

118gj0i.jpg

You can see it just above the steering column here

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply :lol:

The greeny colour is starting to annoy me a little, so I think it's time for a change.

Philips T10 bulbs ay', are they the sort of bulbs I can buy a Repco or Supercheap, or am I going to have to hit up the old eBay to try and find some??

Also heres a tip, before you remove the cluster, undo the speedo cable from behind the firewall. Once you undo it, you can wriggle the cluster forward and then undo the plug at the back by twisting it anti-clockwise I think.

I thought there was some trick to getting it out!! I've just had the dash pulled out a little to get a bulb out and had to disconnect it from behind the firewall just to do that! Good to see that I'm not retarded and that others have had to do this to get the dash out. Will remember for next time so that I can get the cluster the whole way out.

Thanks for the help, it should progress a lot quicker now that I know exactly what to do and what to use.

Just read through your thread. Car looks like a beast :D Sounds amazing around winton in the video and love watching you fly past the other cars. Can't wait to see what you do next laugh.gif

123presto You can buy the bulbs from Autobahn/Repco and the likes. I got mine at Bursons. Never really tried the ones from eBay but they are pretty average as you get what you pay for (I have T10 parker bulbs from eBay)

Zeinheiger I actually disliked it and made a newer and slightly better heat shield haha, I just haven't gotten 'round to taking pics of it as I've been to busy offloading my race wheels

benji4138 Thanks Benji! There will be more to come on the car and track racing in due course. I have some guys chasing me and have a few plans to keep them at bay :) and no, it does not involve more power hehe

• 2 weeks later...

Not so much of an update but just a collection of random photo's.

28224vo.jpg

15cdlxy.jpg

Mini story; One day while strolling the local wreckers, I stumbled across what looked like a Mazda 626 Wagon with a very tidy looking lower lip. Now, my Cressida one had seen much better days since it was now held on by cable ties in the centre. So much so that all the screwed in mounts in the middle had broken from scraping (everywhere) hence the need for cable ties. 'Decided to get dirty so off came the 626 donor lip and home it went. Purchased some matte black paint and screws and got busy, after some DIY'ing I got it to sit alot neater and fit better than the previous lip so overall I'm quite happy with the accomplishment. The bonus with this lip is that it recesses towards the middles making clearances easier with steep driveways, inclines and animals somewhat easier :P

v6unow.jpg

Version 3.0 Heat Shield. Was not happy with the previous 2 so DIY'd another one which works far more efficiently. The heat shield will get warm but the Air Filter remains cool from the air feed/ducting. Still need to refit the catch can inbetween the fuse box and Heat Shield.

2vkkzuc.jpg

Interior has changed slightly. Now have the following fitted:

- Broadway 300mm Flat Mirror

- 400gm Skunk2 5spd gearknob

- Faux (read fake/replica/non-genuine) Bride VIOS Low Max III fixed back drivers' seat, SSCUS passenger

- Old-school Apex'i RSM (not pictured - sits above steering column)

2gub9jo.jpg

Random shot

Unfortunately, the wheels I were after failed to fit at the rear so I'm back to the drawing board. Nonetheless, I've been busy acquiring parts in preparation for the track day and will book it in to have it fitted most likely next week. Will get pics of parts when they arrive, until then; Thanks for looking :)

Ben! Very long time since our last encounter, thanks for the compliment and can't wait to see you back with the beasty '82!

2ce4xzd.jpg

Oh yeh, got new wheels as well. Can't race on heavy weights so forked out some more coin for well, more wheels lol

• 2 weeks later...

07/03/2011

2bunfp.jpg

Small update, bought some more parts.. starting to make progress on the track day now. Car is currently at the workshop and will be worked on first thing in the morning. Got a few updates to come soon as well.

08/03/2011

Some (slow) progress

20pd7k2.jpg

Got a call from the mechanic, the clutch fork was fairly rooted where the ball was. It had been grazed and started a slight crack and needed replacing. Called 5 places until I found a replacement

2cwl65g.jpg

Previous Exedy H/D clutch that served me well

6gfyus.jpg

Thankfully the elder brother left his car at home and let me borrow it (champ!) - 'Docile car and the looks it gets... priceless!

Farkkk choi luon!! HAHAHA looking good! As expected from Mr. Trackwhore and Wheelwhore! :P

Nghia got the evo6.5??

haha nah this is the eldest brother. Nghia's got a Liberty now

Sweet Ride, Gotta luv dose rims, where did you get those lights???? They're Awesome. I definately Have to get Some.

Lights came from the older twincam forums, hard to get nowadays and costly too.

Nice rolla very cool, but that Evo :toast: one of my favourite cars.

Yeh, the EVO is a whole different ball game. Very fast and... very thirsty with 200wkw!

stuff the evo, looks like rice

this ae92 is a quality build, fantastic work

hahah thanks champ!

so "chinese" trung "008" :P

It's standard plates Duy :lol::unsure:

hey trung, its will here with the silver sportivo, just wondering where u get ur exedy hd clutches from? Im looking for a new clutch atm. cheers will

VU Will? If so, man it's been awhile! I got mine through Bursons, they don't normally stock it but can get you one in. My local Bursons wanted a deposit due to the cost of the clutch because I have a trade account and a good record with them, they ordered it in for me without incident. Trade account is awesome, save some decent money every time; from spark plugs through to Clutch kits!

Also, I rate the Exedy clutches. I've been through 2 of them already; one on the previous car and another on my current. Both H/D clutches and both never failed.