Please Help! Camry Wont Start

Ambi

the map sensor and the plugs shouldn't stop the engine from running completly but will not make it very drivable - experienced both of these issues first hand. The mechanic that said it's the plugs should go back to school - if you on the coast ask some other forum members if they can come over and check it out , a few heads are always better than one and you may be able to 100% diagnose whats wrong. have you popped the bonnet and checked the timing belt? you should be able to see at least part of it - ive worked on a handfull of mates camrys and the timing belt won't cost an arm and a leg to change. take a picture of the bay from a few angles for us etc , take a video if you can of what it does when your trying to start it etc etc.

the map sensor and the plugs shouldn't stop the engine from running completly but will not make it very drivable - experienced both of these issues first hand. The mechanic that said it's the plugs should go back to school - if you on the coast ask some other forum members if they can come over and check it out , a few heads are always better than one and you may be able to 100% diagnose whats wrong. have you popped the bonnet and checked the timing belt? you should be able to see at least part of it - ive worked on a handfull of mates camrys and the timing belt won't cost an arm and a leg to change. take a picture of the bay from a few angles for us etc , take a video if you can of what it does when your trying to start it etc etc.

Thanks for the help. I have a mechanic coming by in a few hours. I have a feeling its the timing belt or the fuel pump. Ill keep you guys posted on what he says is the problem.

Just a side note, do you guys know how much it would cost (approx) to fix a fuel pump and timing belt? (its hard being a student)

Good to see you got the problem sorted mate.

It's good knowin ol' Adam... "The Yank with contacts". He's American... they're allowed to be a tad arrogant! He means well :P

If you ever need any info on "can a *insert part* be installed on a *insert part* work?", he'll freakin know it... hahahahahahaha!!

He's also Auscam's American hub on getting USDM stuff too - so far I've had help with him getting my tail lights, special bonnet cover... transmission torque mount... NASCAR CAMRY BOOKLETS?! Hahahaha

Good work Adam, you're more appreciated than you think.

• 2 months later...

I seem to be having a similar problem and looking for some help...

I live in the USA, Florida state.

I have a 1991 Toyota Camry Wagon LE V6 Engine.

It runs fine, but if I step on the gas to over take another car or just put a lot of the demand, it shuts the engine off...

I do have spark, I replaced the sparks plug, the coil/rotor and fuel filter.

When it the engine dies and I try to start it again, it turns over it just won't start.

Battery is good, no weird noises or anything.

Being dead on the side of the road I discover something, if I unplug the electrical plug to the MAF, the car would start but it will die soon.

Then if I plug the cable back to the MAF, the kind of resets everything and then the car would start again and continue to run fine as long as I take it easy.

I got one of those spray to clean the MAF sensor, I sprayed the sensor and cleaned the whole housing but that did not help, problem continues.

What could be the problem ?

If it is a MAF going bad, can I repair those so that I don't have to buy a new one, or is there a place where I can ship it to in the USA to have it repaired ?

I called the auto parts and they want $195 USD for a new sensor and I just don't have that kind of money right now for something I am not even sure that is the problem...

PLEASE HELP....