Please Help! Camry Wont Start

Ambi

I was driving home yesterday from school and all of a sudden my car just turned off (while moving). I checked the oil and gas and it is fine. The CD Player still works and i tried getting a boost from my friend so I dont think its the battery. Since the battery is stilll turning the CD Player on, I dont think its the alternator (because if the alternator was dead, it would drain the battery also). I dont think its the starter because it turned off while the car was on.

Someone said it could be a sensor or a coil, I have no clue !!

The car is a 1991 Camry, 4 cyl, manual. If someone has a clue of what it could be, it would be very helpful. Or better, if someone knows a mechanic that lives in Surfers Paradise that I could show my car to

You didn't provide enough info to the problem for us to help.

What happened when it stopped? Sounds? Check Engine Light?

Now when you try to start it, does it crank? Does it make a ping? Does it do absolutly nothing?

Can be anything from an electrical issue to a spark to a fuel to even the timing belt snapping.

Now when you try to start it, does it crank? Does it make a ping? Does it do absolutly nothing?

Can be anything from an electrical issue to a spark to a fuel to even the timing belt snapping.

Well after is turned off, i pulled over on the side of the road and tried starting it but it wouldnt start. It would try starting and the belts would start moving but it just wouldnt start. There were no sounds at all. I dont think any belt snapped, they all looked in place. It tries to start, its seems like theres not enough gas in the car to start, but im sure thats not the case because there is gas

Im starting to think it might be the fuel pump

Edited by Ambi

Well after is turned off, i pulled over on the side of the road and tried starting it but it wouldnt start. It would try starting and the belts would start moving but it just wouldnt start. There were no sounds at all. I dont think any belt snapped, they all looked in place. It tries to start, its seems like theres not enough gas in the car to start, but im sure thats not the case because there is gas

Im starting to think it might be the fuel pump

You can't see the timing belt unless you take the covers off, so it's still a possibility.

When was the timing belt last changed?

I dont know when the timing belt was changed because I bought the car in Sept 2007 and I didnt ask the guy when it was changed

the reason why I dont think its a timing belt issue is becase when a timing belt breaks it makes a pretty loud noise, which I didnt hear. Also when I pushed the car home, I didnt see anything on the ground (as a timing belt).

Just a question, if the alternator was dead, does that mean that battery would be drained also?

Edited by Ambi

could also be that the MAF sensor has shat itself. the engine will still crank if this is buggered, and if it dies while you're driving then your car will turn off. another distinct possibility.

could also be that the MAF sensor has shat itself. the engine will still crank if this is buggered, and if it dies while you're driving then your car will turn off. another distinct possibility.

:( That would be horrible. The last I check, a MAF sensor for a 1991 camry is like $400. Please tell me that isnt true

400 dollars is myth mate they arent worth much at all - as for you problem it sounds like either an alternator or a fuel pump. Does the car crank? does the starter engage? turn the car to the "on" position and go and put your head down near the rear wheel , can you hear any noise coming from the fuel pump? check all fuses, check all fluid levels check everything you can see and if something seems wrong or your not sure about it come and post it up and we can help you diagnose the problem further.

:( That would be horrible. The last I check, a MAF sensor for a 1991 camry is like $400. Please tell me that isnt true

my mum has a 1996 camry vienta 5sp that had this problem. something shorted the MAF sensor, and the car would crank endlessly but just not start. she chose to go genuine toyota (don't ask why) and it cost her $1200 including labour for a recondition MAF sensor.

however, you could easily get it done for half that price if you go to your regular mechanic. but yes, a reconditioned MAF sensor would cost around the $400 mark

note : just remembered yours would be a 5s-fe that only has a AFM and not a MAF sensor.

note : just remembered yours would be a 5s-fe that only has a AFM and not a MAF sensor.

5SFE in a SDV10 (what a 1996 would be) is MAP I think. 3SFE in SV21 (ie 1991) is AFM, at least from what I can find.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

If it is the map, shouldn't it start and then stall like straight away again. I'm just thinking if it is similar to the gen4s, because i've accidentally forgot to plug it back into the intake once and the car started for a second and then stall each time until it was plugged back in. And i think they had AFMs the gen2 and 3s.

So I'm assuming it doesnt crank since its making no sounds when you try to start it.

Edited by STYLSH

Its cranks but it seems no gas is going to the engine. So I thnk its the fuel pump. It makes noise when you try starting it. Its the exact same noise as when your car runs out of gas and you try starting it

are those expensive for 91 Camrys?

Edited by Ambi

Mine did that before I changed the motor and you guessed it timing belt snapped! Bought a new one and 4 hours later run like a dream.

How much does a timing belt cost? I heard theyre pretty cheap for a 1991 Camry 4 cyl, but I heard the labour could be costly

Mines a 5S but i'm sure theres not much of a difference between that and a 3S $56 for the belt at trade cost. I didn't pay labour as I did the work LOL so not sure about costing on that. But check that it is your belt thats let go just pop the cam cover off the front of the engine located near the right strut tower. If you cars done more than 200K more than likely the belts gone, and as for the sensors on the engine they would cause a stall or limp home mode to engage.

Edited by MAD550

Go to a mechanic.

I got a mechanic to come to my place and check out the car (since I cant drive it). He said that its the spark plugs that are causing the car not to turn on.

My question is, since I was driving when the car turned off does it seem right to be the spark plugs? Arent spark plugs used to start a car and while the car is running the spark plugs arent really being used?

Go to a mechanic.

I got a mechanic to come to my place and check out the car (since I cant drive it). He said that its the spark plugs that are causing the car not to turn on.

My question is, since I was driving when the car turned off does it seem right to be the spark plugs? Arent spark plugs used to start a car and while the car is running the spark plugs arent really being used?

No! Spark plugs are used to create the spark to burn the fuel so it goes off very very often. But how does it all die at the same time ??!?

Go to a mechanic.

No! Spark plugs are used to create the spark to burn the fuel so it goes off very very often. But how does it all die at the same time ??!?

I dont know how it all died at the same time. It doesnt make sense. It seems to be the fuel pump. The mechanic that came over gave me the feeling that he doesnt know what hes talking about. I told him that the car was driving when it turned off, I dont know how he came to the conclusion of spark plugs.

He said for sure its not the alternator or battery. I think Im going to get another machanic to come check it out tomorrow, but its just so hard to get a mobile mechanic in the Gold Coast (Australia)

Well its quite possible that the spark died whilst driving, could be due to several things really. Did he actually test it to see if there was spark? I guess he must have to come to that conclusion. But that’s not a lot of held as you need someone to diagnose the faulty part so you can replace it. :rolleyes: