Track time improvement

What's going to lower my track times further?

cat back exhaust replacing standard sportivo exhaust, giving 10kw

adrenalines on the standard 16" rims, replacing the turanzas

whilst i really want a new exhaust, it's about bang for buck right now, and what puts me round that track faster, so open to discussion

whitestivo

whilst i really want a new exhaust, it's about bang for buck right now, and what puts me round that track faster, so open to discussion

whitestivo

r comps!

Phil: 99.9% of your driving will be on public roads. I think you need to consider that over how your track times will be affected.

Tyres will give you a safer driving experience all the time, but with a shorter life span than cheaper more road going tyres.

The exhaust gains will always be there, and so will any noise level increase too. But your tyres aren't spent yet as far as I know?

Not really answering your question, but maybe something to help guide you to your own conclusion.

Gav.

whitestivo

Having done alot of track days good rubber would be the first thing to do,the size (16's) are the right size for track days,Adrenalines are the top o the wozza's short from u buying semi slicks ,they would be ideal,weve had Subi's & Evo's run with adrenalines & the drving feel is much better than some of the brands we used (block patterned tyres) even tho we were sponsored by Toyos & we used the T1r's

A cat back would be sufficient but a full exhaust including headers would be advantagous as the pickup would be the differnce in hitting lift or reaching the required rev range t suit the track.

as this is out of experience with our cars please take this as a humble opinion as some of the cars i tune are semi modified for Hillclimbs so custom suspension & ecu tuning is included

Good luck on ur times

i have a 1zz corolla and i use RE001 both for the street and track.. and i have to say, they hold up very well on the track..

at the end of the day, you can't put down all that power if you don't have the grip..

go the tyres if your looking for faster track times.. you'll pull out of corners faster, carry more speed in corners, and you'll stop faster..

Edited by wil_rolla

thanks ppl

I have minor mods to suspension and brakes already, so I agree, tyres are next.

I'll get the exhaust for now, then try and wear out those tyres as fast as I can, then get some Re001's on.

Is there any benefit just getting two for the front for starters?

It all started as there was an old integra with a B18 in it on the weekend, and on the straights, couldn't get past me, but in the corners, man, just got away wayy too fast.

whitestivo

meh i have re001s overrated i reckon not "THAT" grippy as every one says

i'd say you invest a bit more and get re11s much much better im gonna try find some after mine wear out more

re001s wear out pretty quick also...

Steve,

My RE001s are 2 weeks old and after 1 track session I fear for their longevity already.... :( At $410 a pop they are not something I want to change every few months. It just gets too expensive.

They are incredibly grippy though. Much better than the old Dunlop Sport Maxxs. Also, they are much quieter on the highway. Overall, best tyres I have ever used.

Phil get headers uncoated (@$330ish) then get some tyres. Headers will give you more mid range and low speed torque and tyres will help with cornering speeds and traction issues.

Just a thought and as I know you are always thinking budget too LOL

arrggghhhh

CES are fabricating a cat back, damn it...

Trev and i spoke at lenght (mush to his dismay I'd imagine as he's very busy). He gently, then got tired and just said GET the cat back for christs sake. Reckons the headers are good mod once the cat back is on. Said I'll pull 10kw with the catback, and then scratched up an old headers dyno graph showing big gain in lift and a gain of 2-4kw ,and i know that's peak, but this dyno graph was pretty handy.

I guess it's all part of modding, and in 2010, headers can come in my direction... or maybe I'll pick up a set if anyone decided to come with me down to melbourne.

Tyres are a matter of time, two adrenalines on the front.

Damn it, why haven't they posted my ttrack times yet, I'm so looking forward to boasting about it.

whitestivo

You might wanna also consider this. Having very grippy tyres on the fronts and less grippy on rears could possibly cause the rear of your car to be unstable under braking and turn in. Happened to a mate of mine. He borrowed someones semi slicks to try on the front of his eg and had REs on the rear and when he turned in he completely spun out :lol:

But I guess it could be manageable after a while.

CES are fabricating a cat back, damn it...

QR is a powah and torque track, so don't feel bad about it B)

The problem with the RE001 (in 205) is they are too wide for the stock rims. The turanzas give a similar lap time because they fit the rims better.

As for tyre life there is no reason anyone wouldn't get 40,000+km out of them as I got that with track days. Have a look at your wheel alignment and make sure it is correct.

The problem with the RE001 (in 205) is they are too wide for the stock rims. The turanzas give a similar lap time because they fit the rims better.

As for tyre life there is no reason anyone wouldn't get 40,000+km out of them as I got that with track days. Have a look at your wheel alignment and make sure it is correct.

What width is the stock wheel? 6.5" or 6"? I had 205/45/16 GIIIs (the predecessor to the RE001) on a 6.5" wheel with no problems whatsoever, currently got 205/45/16 S-drive AS01s on the same wheels, also with no problems (and a bit more of a shoulder too)

i'v had my RE001's for about 7-8 months (about 30,000km) and done 3 track days with them, and they still have about 80% tread..

but its also about how well you look after them.., in the last 7 months had 2 alignments, rotate tyres at every service, and i always check tyre pressure.. and i have even wear with no complaints..

and as far as these tyres go, they don't have much grip when cold..but if heat them up, you can push them harder..

with these tyres my best laps are done in lap 3 or 4..