ATT: Drivers, Please Slow Down !

KevO

The time was 1105 PM and i was heading towards Bonnyrigg McDonalds thinking that it was going to be a routine drive without any mishaps or problems. I was wrong.

EDIT: please excuse my dodgy art work...

xmo4k4.jpg

i am the dark grey blob. i was in the left lane turning right as it is right turn in both lanes. two other cars were waiting behind me. the light goes green and i roll off slowly as the turn is pretty sharp. out of nowhere a red p plater driving a light blue 95 corolla hatch speeds fast, inches from the side of car. he wasnt going slow either. i assume 70-80 in the wet. i paused for a moment thinking that he'd slow down to apologise but the ***** just takes off even faster. i chased after him hoping to see who the driver was. i caught up to him, high-beamed and pressed my horn at him in anger. he then got away as he went through a couple more red lights in a slightly busy intersection.

Note: even though its late at night and you think its safe to do that kind of stuff. please be aware that you are not the only driver out there. i was lucky this time but if i were to go a bit faster, there wouldnt have been any happy endings. nor is it safe to run red lights in the first place. the weather is horrible, the visibility is extremely low. complete stupidity IMO. :angry:

please slow down p-platers, if not to save yourself, but to save other innocent road users.

Edited by BlackKnight

maybe it was a stolen car if it ran that many lights?

Still you shouldn't have gone in pursuit... You endanger your own life... let alone others around you.

but since you mention McDonalds... I'm dam hungry now :P

Edited by 11TWO

should you really of chased and harassed him u could of caused an accident no? :excl:

That is the first thing that came to my mind - not exactly stellar material to get people to slow down... (let alone not get beaten up)

please slow down p-platers, if not to save yourself, but to save other innocent road users.

How about EVERYONE take care, not just p-platers?

did you get the dumb a$$es plate number?

i would report him to the cops for running a red!!

unfortunately not <_<

too many things running around in my mind at the time. im sure ill see him again.

what a dumbs***

i have noticed that the way i travel home now, there aren't many people that are patient on the road anymore...

why the big hurry to get home? more then likely - that's how accidents are caused.

so you can beat traffic, or think your cool for driving fast in thick traffic? (directed at bad motorists that don't know/follow road rules or boundaries)

It annoys me that people can get away with road behavior like that.

Hope you are ok mate ;) just goes to show it pays to be slow :P

Evo

lols yeah im all fine.

i tend not to speed at night time because you never know, the car behind you could always be a copper. not going to take any risks

you dont speed because you dont want to get caught?

you shouldnt speed because you dont want to hurt other people. open your eyes and grow up.

lols yeah im all fine.

i tend not to speed at night time because you never know, the car behind you could always be a copper. not going to take any risks

you shouldnt speed because you dont want to hurt other people. open your eyes and grow up.

????

i wasnt the one in the wrong so i dont know why youre trying to bag me out. i wasnt speeding, i wasnt doing anything wrong - "not going to take ANY risks". as far as i know, youre the one that needs to grow up. if you dont have anything better to say, be quiet...

lols yeah im all fine.

????

i wasnt the one in the wrong so i dont know why youre trying to bag me out. i wasnt speeding, i wasnt doing anything wrong - "not going to take ANY risks". as far as i know, youre the one that needs to grow up. if you dont have anything better to say, be quiet...

Everyone needs to settle down, im settled down too now lol :P

but he has clearly been in a near-miss and is very lucky is was only a 'miss'

Evo

I have more near-misses due to older people thinking they know how to drive and not paying attention, than people on their P plates. Only yesterday did an older gentleman pull out in front of me (no indicators, I was doing 70 in the wet) and decided that he couldn't make the light that had JUST turned orange when he was a few metres away from it. I slammed on my brakes, skidded, remembered my brakes worked properly now since I have new pads and rotors, go out of the skid, slowed down to stop just behind him only to have him decide he could make it through the light that had now turned red.

I have more near-misses due to older people thinking they know how to drive and not paying attention, than people on their P plates. Only yesterday did an older gentleman pull out in front of me (no indicators, I was doing 70 in the wet) and decided that he couldn't make the light that had JUST turned orange when he was a few metres away from it. I slammed on my brakes, skidded, remembered my brakes worked properly now since I have new pads and rotors, go out of the skid, slowed down to stop just behind him only to have him decide he could make it through the light that had now turned red.

Yeah i totally agree with random hero, i have so many near misses with old ppl due to the not seeing me next to them and pulling into my lane and the ill get up beside them and be like wats wrong with you and the have a go like in a total lunatic, i drive safely and just cruze so why am i the bad guy???

I no there should be things done to slow down p-platers, but what about the old people the shouldnt be driving???

i tend to drive at teh exact speed limit (70 at a 70, 60 at a 60) and just enjoy the ride, what really annoys me is when p platers see my p plates and decide to tail gate, over take and slow down or constant reving behind me, the question is Whats the rush? oh and at forest lake, the left turn only round about on left lane and i was on the right going forward, the left lane guy went forward and almost took me out, and he indicated left too, dirty..........

well we all then agree that some people should really not have their license at all. i myself have been in pretty close ones with many old people.

one time ive turned right at the lights and the old lady from the other side decides to pull out right in front of me, i pressed the horn to let her know i was there, she did not react one bit...

a LOT of p-platers like to drive like dicks. OP, harden up, you're seriously not making the roads a safer place by giving chase. If you wanted to be a real hero you could have at least taken down his license plate instead of posting a rant thread, there are wayy too many of these in this section (sigh).

We seriously need a consolidated rant thread, like in the motoring section of OCAU.

...then i dont really know what the club lounge section is for if it wasnt for rants about random things... :unsure:

like ive already said, it wasnt the smartest thing ive ever done, it was in the moment and the first thing that came to mind.

im a p-plater and im no hero

but tonight, an elderly citizen driving a corolla made me mount the kerb to avoid a collision

two lanes turning left

i was inside, he was outside

and he had no notion of a constant radius.

Since i have a a small sports car, the horn is terrible, its a bit of a toot toot, i would replace it but spending money on something i dont use its kinda pointless. I never use my horn when someone cuts me off or so, just dont have that angry reaction. but i tell the kids in the passanger seats to constantly look at em as we drive by. its hell funny

in my area western sydney we have a LOT of inexperienced P platers that choose not to follow basic road rules. overtaking on the left lane while im going 50/60 (depending on the road limit) in the right lane.. not giving way at roundabouts, driving up too close behind me as if its going to intimidate.

i guess everyones experiences are different. ive had older guys cut me off etc and a lot of near misses with elderly or women drivers , but incidences with P platers (male and female) seem much more frequent than any other in my experience.