Exhaust noise problem

Hi everyone,

Need some advise regarding my current exhaust set up. ATM I have on my 1ZZ: Wildcat header, 3” hi flow CAT, 2 x 2.5” hotdog and a HKS Hi-Power Cannon muffler with a silencer. (The HKS silencer claims to reduce noise by up to 7db) and this set up is still too loud for me. If I go with the twin loop oval muffler would this solve the problem? Thanks

I suggest to remove the 'hotdog exhausts, they are hopeless :(

that should reduce the noise a fair bit ;)

Evo

"A resonator or hot dog is a “little muffler”, used to help quieten down exhaust systems. Made with either a perforated or fluted inner lining it has a straight throw design which does not restrict the flow of exhaust gases, but does reduce the noise"

"A resonator or hot dog is a “little muffler”, used to help quieten down exhaust systems. Made with either a perforated or fluted inner lining it has a straight throw design which does not restrict the flow of exhaust gases, but does reduce the noise"

Kind-off. Hotdog resonators are designed to cancel out particular resonant frequencies in the exhaust (like "booming", they do little to reduce overall noise levels. This is why hotdogs are available in various different lengths, to give various frequency-muffling abilities.

Proper mufflers reduce overall noise.

Hi everyone,

Need some advise regarding my current exhaust set up. ATM I have on my 1ZZ: Wildcat header, 3” hi flow CAT, 2 x 2.5” hotdog and a HKS Hi-Power Cannon muffler with a silencer. (The HKS silencer claims to reduce noise by up to 7db) and this set up is still too loud for me. If I go with the twin loop oval muffler would this solve the problem? Thanks

Ditch cannon, get yourself a decent 2.5" straight-through muffler (as long as you can physically fit in there). Twin-loop mufflers are useless IMO. Hotdogs 'smooth' your note out (definitely helps remove any raspiness that tends to happen in NA twinky engines), so keep them.

Hi everyone,

Ditch cannon, get yourself a decent 2.5" straight-through muffler (as long as you can physically fit in there). Twin-loop mufflers are useless IMO. Hotdogs 'smooth' your note out (definitely helps remove any raspiness that tends to happen in NA twinky engines), so keep them.

Could you please explain why twinloops are useless?

Hi everyone,

The amount of money they cost, you can just get yourself a better stainless muffler that will sound exactly the same.

Hi everyone,

The amount of money they cost, you can just get yourself a better stainless muffler that will sound exactly the same.

Agreed!!

Agree, I have been trying to find a secondhand JASMA 2.5" straight-through muffler and still searching...

No such thing as JASMA-brand mufflers, JASMA is the Japanese Automobile Sports Muffler Association, an accreditation body. It's like saying you have JWL-brand wheels (most Jap wheels have the JWL logo on them, which is a Japanese wheel standard), or SAE-brand something else (SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers)

sorry to steal the thread but what about semi-flow mufflers... are they worthy?

What the hell is a semi-flow muffler? :s

Doesn't sound useful just from the sounds of it.