Driving with 'D' or 'S'?

o12lando

Just a little revival on the subject. For anyone that was wondering what would most likely be the best to use for better performance, the answer would be to leave it in 'S' mode with the gear selected as '6'. This way it will do all the changes for you at the right timing, and it will over-ride the learning portion of 'D' mode.

SupaTouring summarised the best explanation for it all in his post above:

As I understand it in 'D' the transmission works with fuzzy logic so the software tunes to your style of driving. In 'S' the software program is set and only has one mode which is a 'Sport' mode.

Now this is not complete hard evidence, but after the three times I've been to the drags, it have found that no matter how many times I try with the gear selector in 'D', I can not match my times with the gear selector in 'S'. Runs with the gear selector in 'S' and selected gear as '6', consistently had times that were 0.2 seconds faster. Not that it makes much of a difference for everyday driving, but it does show some minor differences there.

That said, leaving it in 'S' mode will probably use slightly more fuel as well.

either way, that wouldnt be a definitive comparison, as a lot of factors couldve contributed to the 0.2 second difference, eg. ambient temp, tyre temp, response time, etc.

i wonder whether there would be a noticeable difference on the dyno between the two modes? because obviously one of them is restricting/releasing power somewhere

either way, that wouldnt be a definitive comparison, as a lot of factors couldve contributed to the 0.2 second difference, eg. ambient temp, tyre temp, response time, etc.

I know it's not a definte comparison, but its something that is noticeable given that over the course of the runs in which I compared the two modes, the air temperature/track temperature only varied by 1 degree and the humidity/pressure remained within a similar range. The comparative runs (3 of each) were launched at the same RPM, etc so that minimises the variables.

Like I said, it's not completely accurate, but until there is better evidence, then this is what has been found so far.

i wonder whether there would be a noticeable difference on the dyno between the two modes? because obviously one of them is restricting/releasing power somewhere

Hard to hold the Aurion in a gear when in 'D' mode if you were to dyno it.

I know it's not a definte comparison, but its something that is noticeable given that over the course of the runs in which I compared the two modes, the air temperature/track temperature only varied by 1 degree and the humidity/pressure remained within a similar range. The comparative runs (3 of each) were launched at the same RPM, etc so that minimises the variables.

Like I said, it's not completely accurate, but until there is better evidence, then this is what has been found so far.

Hard to hold the Aurion in a gear when in 'D' mode if you were to dyno it.

how do they dyno automatic gears? If you leave it in S mode with gear 6 selected wouldnt the gear shifting still go to 1 to 6?

Edited by o12lando

how do they do automatic gears? If you leave it in S mode with gear 6 selected wouldnt the gear shifting still go to 1 to 6?

They usually dyno it in 3rd or 4th. They run the engine till it gets to the final selected gear, then ramp up the speed to the point where they can put their foot all the way down without it kicking down a gear.

This is why a dyno graph of the Aurion is only useful for obtaining the maximum power and/or torque.

You can hear how they ramp the power up and only put their foot down fully once it as a bit of momentum to it from this video:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

do you guys find that after using the s and then put back to d that the next time you go to use s it always goes back to 4th or is it just my car

Toyota screwed it up and it will always default to 4th when you change from 'S' to 'D'. Only exception is if your are going fast (above 150), it will default to 5th.

I have had a case at low speeds where it defaults to 3rd though. It happens every now and again, and I can't purposely replicate it.

i tend to only leave it in D mode (unless i feel the caravan in front of me deserves to bite my dust)

i've driven many tiptronic/sequential-style autos before and IMO the aurion 'box is quite disappointing compared to other non-DSG variants in terms of sheer control and response because it is something you'd prob expect from 10-15yrs ago... maybe they are designed that way due to the vast amount of torque to preserve its longevity against 'enthusiastic' driving?

do you guys find that after using the s and then put back to d that the next time you go to use s it always goes back to 4th or is it just my car

Toyota screwed it up and it will always default to 4th when you change from 'S' to 'D'. Only exception is if your are going fast (above 150), it will default to 5th.

I have had a case at low speeds where it defaults to 3rd though. It happens every now and again, and I can't purposely replicate it.

thanks djkor-i have'nt even been to 150 yet-lol

not too sure if i will-fastest i have been so far is 140 which didnt even seem fast compared to the old commodes and falcons i have had

cheers corey

i think for what the aurion is.....4 door family sedan!! the 'S' shift is great. Compare apples with apples...it ain't a porsche....it's not a tiptronic box. It's a brilliant compromise, it's easy to use...it's logical...the car hammers!!

Compare it to the falcon....now there my friends is a clunky 'S' mode shifter...marketed as a 'performance auto'....if you're a bit on the shorter side (vertically challenged)...you'll find reaching over to where the falcon 'S' shifter position is a bit of a reach...and they still havn't sorted out proper ratios ..it only just does the job. The aurion however brings it across to you ..nice and close. There is a difference between 'D' and 's' mode 6. DJ is on the money there.....i don't take mine to the track and whilst you won't notice .2 of a second at the traffic lights, there is a difference. Whatever toyota have done (however slight) 's' mode is snappier.....LOL...there you go...it actually stands for snappy....it's great for engine braking (not breaking).

• 7 months later...
gave it a try tonight, in S-6 and driving around town it does seem to be alot more responsive ie. kicking down with less throttle. I tend to be too lazy for S usually, but if it stays this good I'll be leaving it there from now on.

just to bring up an old thread, I have found driving in S mode much smoother and I still had the problem of it changing to 6th at highway speeds going up slight incline in D. it changes properly in S mode.

I've not really noticed much difference, personally. But I drive with my volume up, so I don't feel gear changes, only the vibration of my subwoofer. :D

How did you guys swap the direction of the lever in 'S' mode? Is it a soldering job or simply swapping plugs?

How did you guys swap the direction of the lever in 'S' mode? Is it a soldering job or simply swapping plugs?

You can cut and solder, or cut and crimp some connectors on for easy reversibility if you want. Or if you have the patience (which I didn't have), you can remove the pins from the connector and swap them around. To make it easy for you, a member here "Aurion ZR6" did up a guide quite a while back:

Selector Mod for Automatic

I just drive the good old fashioned way. Use S only when I'm too zoned in with Speed and D for everything else!

I think in a way i prefer D, though lol. Because the RPM starts at the very beginning most of the time giving me a nice "Kick" feel when i punch it. I noticed when Driving in S the car doesn't pull as aggressive as it does when in D.

The Aurion has a sweet engine. To this day it still puts a smile on my face every time i accelerate hard. Bah, i even do an evil sort of Laugh most of the time when i Accelerate a bit hard from dig. Not too hard that my tires would screech. But hard enough that my steering wheel gets a mind of it's own and sways right and left. I love that!

But hard enough that my steering wheel gets a mind of it's own and sways right and left. I love that!

Torque steer - where your car accelerates itself off the road into a pole. Whats not to love. :huh:

lol, My arms are plenty strong enough. I was being facetious.

Still, personally, I can't understand how anybody could actually enjoy torque steer. With all the modern technology we pay for in these cars to improve handling and safety, I can't see whats to love about something that makes your car harder to handle.

Still, personally, I can't understand how anybody could actually enjoy torque steer. With all the modern technology we pay for in these cars to improve handling and safety, I can't see whats to love about something that makes your car harder to handle.

People still enjoy manuals? Same reasoning maybe

^ Hey, if your arms aren't strong enough to turn the steering wheel with a little added force...Then it's probably best to not drive cars at all!

I hope AWD and 4WS become mainstream one day

but I guess its what people feel like, roller coaster vs. speed boat

Edited by tekkyy

People still enjoy manuals? Same reasoning maybe

I love manuals. The lack of manual option (and then teasing us with what looks like a manual sequential mode until you look further into it) is probably my biggest gripe about the Aurion. And I'm not sure I see your reasoning there?

Just thinking some more, too, of 'S' mode and it being 'the wrong way round', everybody I speak to seems to think the opposite. "V8 Supercars" is the cited example from everyone. I still think it's wrong. Or maybe we all just play too much Need for Speed?