K&N air filter element

kwach10

I just ordered (from UK) a K&N air filter for my K and other 2 cars.

$50 for a bit of paper mache, or even more for another car, is just a bit too rich for me.

So for a little bit more, I will get one that last forever and apparently offers other benefits.

Pretty much half price (compared with Repco) for each including postage!!!. Clearly - this is still a penal colony :angry:

Will let you know any performance/economy benefits.

$50 for a bit of paper mache, or even more for another car, is just a bit too rich for me.

So for a little bit more, I will get one that last forever and apparently offers other benefits.

Pretty much half price (compared with Repco) for each including postage!!!. Clearly - this is still a penal colony :angry:

Please post details/link... I need to change my filter soon.

The K&N filters are washable and re-usable but don't necessarily "breathe" better than factory filters (or so I've read/heard in my research). I'd be interested to see research to prove otherwise. The aftermarket filters are usually used on performance cars. I'm not sure it'd make a difference in a SUV.

In that case swv11n you should visit the K&N website (http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm) and tell them so ;)

They have done a bit of testing and for some of the elements (not pods of full intakes) they claim interesting improvements.

But for me just not binning $50 every so often will be a good enough outcome, as will be the ability to maintain a well breathing engine with a periodical clean.

OK, RICE here are some links for you (and others): the UK shop - http://www.filterpower.co.uk/index.htm

and the element for new K: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2260 (Highlander)

You can search the site for other applications, but in some cases their filters do not match with OZ model cars so need to ask or go by the factory part number.

Lesley from Kinnor Services (sales@filterpower.co.uk) is very helpful particularly if you want to get a few, as I did.

It will cost you 20 pounds to ship one, or three, or possibly more, so the economy of scale works well in this case.

Even for a single one, the total cost will be under the local cost, even if you get a discount (20% from Repco until the end of this month)

In that case swv11n you should visit the K&N website (http://www.knfilters.com/default.htm) and tell them so ;)

They have done a bit of testing and for some of the elements (not pods of full intakes) they claim interesting improvements.

But for me just not binning $50 every so often will be a good enough outcome, as will be the ability to maintain a well breathing engine with a periodical clean.

OK, RICE here are some links for you (and others): the UK shop - http://www.filterpower.co.uk/index.htm

and the element for new K: http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2260 (Highlander)

You can search the site for other applications, but in some cases their filters do not match with OZ model cars so need to ask or go by the factory part number.

Lesley from Kinnor Services (sales@filterpower.co.uk) is very helpful particularly if you want to get a few, as I did.

It will cost you 20 pounds to ship one, or three, or possibly more, so the economy of scale works well in this case.

Even for a single one, the total cost will be under the local cost, even if you get a discount (20% from Repco until the end of this month)

What did the cost work out for one? I've been quoted $110 here in Brisbane by Repco.

one for K was 28+20 pounds, delivered.

Do your sums on the exchange rate and extra charges for o/s card transaction (paypal is free but gets conversion bonus) and it comes close for just one.

So not worth the trouble.

• 10 months later...

What is the stance of Toyota service department when you take your car in for a scheduled service and as part of this an air filter is due for replacement?

I could be wrong here, but I would think that if you make a request a long the lines of "please don't discard my K & N filter and replace with a new Toyota part, I'd prefer if you washed my K & N and then re-fitted it please"... I expect you'd be told that your service book would not be stamped.

So this would be like changing oil and plugs yourself (quite do-able), methinks the service department would not want to guarantee your work and so won't stamp the book.

Happy to be proven otherwise... if so, can people name dealerships that are willing to allow this?

You can quite easily leave your aftermarket K&N panel filter on the car when you get your service and they will still stamp your logbook and perform the rest of the service according to their specifications. All that will happen is they will not do anything to your filter. It is just advisable to let them know before hand by telling them that your air filter is fine and they don't need to inspect/change it. They will take note of this before the service and have that note there when they come around to servicing it.

Otherwise, if you don't tell them, they will simply just look at the filter, realise what it is an then leave it, saying that they inspected it etc.