best car for 45 grand

Hi all,

after telling everyone i was going to buy a TRD aurion (07 3500SL) i got into a friendly drunken arguement with a mate who has basically convinced me to look at other options. I've basically been called an idiot for being willing to spend an extra 15 grand for a front wheel drive with 241 Kw. The argument being is:

if i'm going to spend 45k (thats my limit set by me) on a car because i want something faster for that driving pleasure then than there are better cars out there. So my question to all of you is what would you buy if you had 45k to spend and why?

well, a good start would be to buy a car with wheels ;) :P LOL :lol:

its entirely up to you to make that decision...

Evo

99ish M3, secondhand Audi S6, etc etc etc. I'd pick something that wont depreciate too much, which puts the holdens and fords at the bottom of the list.

well, a good start would be to buy a car with wheels ;) :P LOL :lol:

its entirely up to you to make that decision...

Evo

thanks Evo. Until i bought the Aurion last year i've never been a car person. Its only through this forum that i've begun to understand CAI and other wonderful acronyms. I'm just asking for the opinion of people like yourself who really know cars whether i'm better spending my money else where or is a second hand TRD Aurion suitable "bang for your buck"?

and CHA54 thanks for your advice but i would really preferr something under new car warranty still as i'm completely reliant on mechanics if something goes wrong...

my honest opinion,

go with the TRD Aurion... it is something thats becoming quite rare, espeically since TRD is no longer around... do it, it will be the best thing you do ;)

Evo

$45000 for a new ride,i would prolly stick with the TRD that bracket your buying in is a strange one,and you are buyin limited edition new with warranty.(and it's a supercharged TOYOTA)

$45000 will get ya a good used european,anything 1/2 decent would be a few years old. ;)

TRD is a great car for the money, very cruisy, reasonable insurance, decent on fuel if you drive it right and very rare on the road

If your after a performance car thats great for everyday the TRD is great

however if i was looking at buying another car around 45 grand id probably look at an R34 GTR but i couldnt live with it everyday (id worry about it to much :-P)

Or as mentioned an MK5 Golf Gti is an awesome car for the money, GTI + APR tune =animal :)

considering you were opting to go from a zr6 to a trd aurion shows to me you arent fussed about wasting money (lets face it, it isnt exactly much of a leap performance wise versus the amount of money your losing. the only difference - if any- to be felt is in a straight line and thats not where performance cars live up to their names). and they arent "rare" either, just uncommon, and the demand isnt exactly big. so its not really an investment to be felt there (sorry guys)

if youre looking for a performance car in that sort of price range, i would bite the bullet in regards to european car servicing costs, and make a giant leap and land myself in something that actually IS perfomance orientated, backed up with both reviews and street cred. i'm thinking of a VW R32 :D

i reckon the exhaust note alone of these cars rips the **** off any supercharger whirl

Edited by lateralus

used ; 32 gtr with a big single and the rest of the supporting mods pushing 400kw?....but thats my opinion and i know alot of people on here wont agree with me there haha :P

new; the car your wanting to get either mate....whatever makes u happy who cares what other people think :)

or the new gti golf is a mad car none the less as mentioned

or,

an even better option is to stick with what you have and be happy... and that way it wont cost you all over again...

be happy and enjoy your ZR6 :D

Evo

If you were gonna get a golf Youd be stupid not to get an r32 mk5 it's better manual than with the dsg auto in it manual is More fun. And at a $6000 and more price tag for when you need to replace the dsg box I'd go for the Manual any day

If u want a vw ask me... I work for them

If you were gonna get a golf Youd be stupid not to get an r32 mk5 it's better manual than with the dsg auto in it manual is More fun. And at a $6000 and more price tag for when you need to replace the dsg box I'd go for the Manual any day

If u want a vw ask me... I work for them

I work for Veedub too and the GTI with the DSG is heaps more fun to drive than a manual R32! Although the 32 does sound sweet the awesomely dirty turbo 'pop' noise the GTI gives between gears is almost better than sex. Almost... Plus the DSG GTI is faster..Hands down

And you'd ditch the GTI before its out of warranty anyway so dont worry buying new gearboxes.

~Josh

I pretty much asked myself the exact same question recently and ended up with a TRD Aurion. Everyone has their own view on what they'd spend the money on, for me, I wanted a newish car (mine has 15K on the clock), looks good, economical to an extent (I drive 125Km's each day) but still with some poke and nice looks.

None of the Euro's have the same power of looks for the money and I'm not keen on spending that money on a commodore or falcon that everyone else has got (despite the fact I admit the SS and XR6T/G6ET are quicker).

I don't rip the crap out of my cars on the road anymore and try to hammer every street corner like I'm in pole at Silverstone so the FWD and torque steer thing isn't a massive issue for me.

As an all round 4 door car, that's new, low mileage, economical, spacious, different from the norm and reliable what other choice is there. In my opinion any other new car near the money I paid for the TRD gives up one of the traits I want.

If it wasn't for the fact that I've done so many miles in my 05 WRX I wouldn't have gotten rid of it. Also if Subaru hadn't made the new ones ugly and the Liberty underpowered I would probably be sitting in one of them.

Good luck with whatever you choose, it's your money, spend it how you want :)

yes TRD aurion is the best buy for $45 if i was u i would of bought yje TRD aurion

thats a massive call lol............

id be looking at liberty gt, evo 8/9, 350z, civic type R or some thing bit cheaper with money for mods, soarer, R34 gt, MY00 wrx, 94 m3. if you dont mind some thing a bit older R33 gtr

As much as i am a Camry man driving a Camry and probably will drive Camrys during my life, why would you want a supercharged front wheel drive, i mean no offence to anyone who has one because i love the Aurions and would buy one in a beat if i had the cash. But logically unless you are a dead set Toyota Camry person, than look at other Real Wheel Drive and All Wheel Drive options simply because they can be a little more fun.

If i had 45 grand to spend id go out and pick up a brand New FG XR6 Turbo beat any Aurion or V8 going round at the moment.