OEM or aftermarket alarms for Aurions?

DUB

Hey guys, my neighbour's car just got broken into couple of nights ago (she also drives an Aurion) and it got me thinking, does anybody have aftermarket/OEM alarms fitted to their car?

I was considering the Auspack DVD player to replace my stockie in the Prodigy but with recent theft in my area, I figured it would be worthwhile getting some extra security first - any suggestions?

Is the alarm supposed to be an extra? Because mine came with an alarm as standard

When i press the pink button the car will start horning and flashing, Im guessing that is what will also happen if someone attempts to break into my car

Edited by djc

The Aurion does come standard with alarm and immobiliser. The immobiliser becomes active the moment you key is removed from the ignition, and your alarm becomes active once you press either the lock button on the remote or manually lock your car with the key.

The alarm however is not as advanced as an aftermarket alarm. For example, most aftermarket alarms come with a vibration sensor which will detect movement in the car. In other words, someone can simply smash a window on your car and take something out of it and as long as they don't unlock/open a door, the alarm will not go off. So if someone was nimble enough, they can break your front passenger window, climb into your car, remove your stereo (can be as quick as 2 minutes), and be out of there with no alarm.

mmm funny that, my neighbours car's alarm didn't go off when her windows were smashed in - her factory satnav was stolen and there was extensive damage to her dash)

maybe she didn't have her alarm on, that could be possible!

mmm funny that, my neighbours car's alarm didn't go off when her windows were smashed in - her factory satnav was stolen and there was extensive damage to her dash)

maybe she didn't have her alarm on, that could be possible!

You did say:

she also drives an Aurion

As per my above post, I did say it was possible for things to be stolen out of an Aurion without setting the alarm off. Thieves can be pretty smart you know and are most likely aware of how most factory alarms work.

The alarm will always turn on with locking of the car via the key or remote. So the only other way would be if she didn't lock her car.

Have Toyota done away with security coding head units these days?

I notice on our Aurion there is no security flashing light on the HU and nothing about any such function in the manual ether I don’t think. If this is the case, why? Stock HUs always had the ability the be security coded with Toyotas since the 1990s.

Have Toyota done away with security coding head units these days?

I notice on our Aurion there is no security flashing light on the HU and nothing about any such function in the manual ether I don’t think. If this is the case, why? Stock HUs always had the ability the be security coded with Toyotas since the 1990s.

Nup. No security coding on the head unit in the Aurion. Only a flashing red light next to the clock as a 'deterrent'. I'm guessing people kept forgetting the codes or something and Toyota just decided to ditch the idea.

Hey guys, my neighbour's car just got broken into couple of nights ago (she also drives an Aurion) and it got me thinking, does anybody have aftermarket/OEM alarms fitted to their car?

I was considering the Auspack DVD player to replace my stockie in the Prodigy but with recent theft in my area, I figured it would be worthwhile getting some extra security first - any suggestions?

On your question about getting an Aftermarket Alarm , i would suggest a Rhino . Had it installed on 5 of my cars with Battery Backup and Microwave Sensors and had no issues.

Microwave sensor can be a got deterrent when installed but can also be a pest if its too sensitive. On my Paseo this time i have installed a Basic M30 Mongoose

and that serves the purpose. The only reason why i recommend the Rhino is the number of years i have had that alarm. Price factor is pretty good too.

On the subject of Aurion having a factory alarm - i'm an amateur as i dont own one.

Know the feeling walking up to your car to discover it has been broken into . Its just a shame no one seems to get busted over it .

i thought you had to ask toyota to turn on the alarm. you will get the horn sound on lock and unlock of the doors when activated.

I'm pretty sure it is on by default and factory installed in every Aurion.

To test your alarm:

Remove the key from the ignition

Close all the doors and leave a window down then lock the car with the remote (if it is raining just sit in the car and lock it with the remote)

the alarm will activate in 30 seconds (so wait 40)

then open the door from the inside

get your ears blasted off

Read the owner's manual for specifics. I don't feel very comfortable posting the specs up for easy access.

Edited by Hidden Taco

pls read the manual... alarm is always if u lock the car..

tat beep thingo when u lock or unlock, read the manual, u can turn tat sound on or off yourself...

there r some wrong suggestion there..

please read more about alarm using the search function on forum.

and then search info on ebay or google, glass break sensor, tilt sensor, ultra, microwave... all kinds of sensor for different function..

i would say how it is installed if more important than wat brand u go with..

well, if u got problem like your neighbour, tat's wat your insurance is for..

• 6 months later...

Was just told today by the Audio shop that i got my stereo done (Perth) that there's an Alarm system for my Aurion ZR6 with the Keyless remote entry.They've quoted me a cheaper price because they said they need my car for mapping.. and that i would be the first to have the alarm..I'm not sure if thats true but i've got my car booked in tomorrow for the installation.. apparently the alarm is armed/disarmbed via the same remote.. I'm not a Car wizz but i'll find out more tomorrow and post it up later..

for those who don't think the alarm is worth it.. my fren had his car broken into while it was raining.. outside his frens house..

if he had Known.. the interior of the car wouldn't be Soaked.. he could've prevented further damage/cost to his car..

So yeh.. will post again soon.. cheers..

are you sure the factory sat navs don't have a code or something, except it's optional? reason i ask is that I swear I've seen an option for some kind of security option when scoping out my sat nav unit

I was always under the impression that the audio system in Aurions only worked in your vehcile, so if it was stolen to be fitted to another Aurion or Camry it wouldnt work? is this not so anymore?

I was always under the impression that the audio system in Aurions only worked in your vehcile, so if it was stolen to be fitted to another Aurion or Camry it wouldnt work? is this not so anymore?

Pretty sure ur correct.. Something to do with CANBUS system.. i think?

Pretty sure ur correct.. Something to do with CANBUS system.. i think?

Definitely would only be something that the Sat-Nav system would have if such a feature exists. I personally haven't heard of it being available on the Sat-Nav's used on the Aurion though.

Hey HEY!! Just got my car back with the Auto watch Alarm system installed (Product from Knightwatch Ltd).

If you're interested and in Perth.. go to Westside Car Audio in Cannington..

Best to call them first.. Price is reasonable..

There is no alarm remote. well there is but its intergrated into the Keyless Remote system..

So on and off works the Same but the beeping sound you get when you arm the car is different..

Two sets of different beeps at the same time.. one from the original Aurion alarm and the other Auto watch alarm..

Installation takes approximately 2hrs. Alarm comes with Window breaking alert & Sensors installed inside the car.

I hope the photos are attached below..

Just uploaded Video in Youtube..

post-5892-1263558038_thumb.jpg

post-5892-1263558056_thumb.jpg

post-5892-1263558070_thumb.jpg

post-5892-1263558086_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLCKLABEL

FYI the factory sat-nav DOES have a built in security system, being a user-entered pin code. However the difference is that it isn't on by default, the owner must turn it on manually (pretty easy to do though).