HID Kits for Aurion AT-X

-DAvo

Hey all,

couple of questions - am wanting to convert my headlights to HID's.

What are the popular brands to go for? are they available locally? (Perth WA)

Any input in greatly appretiated :)

I'll just add my input... my opinions still remain the same:

So with the HID's, how much you really want to spend is up to you. Most people feel more secure buying a kit with a bit of cost to it. I guess it gives the sense of quality. Now it is true that paying extra for quality is worth it, but only if you spend it on a kit in which that extra money pays for the build and not for a senseless profit. If I was to go for HID's, I would personally go for a kit off eBay that is between $60 to $100 (shipping included). The thing with cheap kits is that there is bound to be a faulty kit out there somewhere, and when someone talks about it, the cheap kits get a bad reputation. If this happens to the expensive kit, the blame usually shifts to the end user and the reputation of the more expensive kit is saved. Either way, most of this stuff is made in the same place, so a kit off eBay for $60 to $100 should be fine.

... Now in case you are curious, I bought my HID's from the eBay seller "SUNSTAR-HID". I in no way am sponsoring this guy, I'm just saying that this is who I bought off and have had no issues.

Brand wise, they are all basically the same. Don't fall for HID retrofit kits that are branded Bosch, Philips, Osram, simply because they are most likely just going to rip you off. If you wanted to buy a kit locally, chances are they are going to charge you at least $150, for a fancy looking kit that you can get off eBay for half the price. You're best buying online.

I'll just add my input... my opinions still remain the same:
So with the HID's, how much you really want to spend is up to you. Most people feel more secure buying a kit with a bit of cost to it. I guess it gives the sense of quality. Now it is true that paying extra for quality is worth it, but only if you spend it on a kit in which that extra money pays for the build and not for a senseless profit. If I was to go for HID's, I would personally go for a kit off eBay that is between $60 to $100 (shipping included). The thing with cheap kits is that there is bound to be a faulty kit out there somewhere, and when someone talks about it, the cheap kits get a bad reputation. If this happens to the expensive kit, the blame usually shifts to the end user and the reputation of the more expensive kit is saved. Either way, most of this stuff is made in the same place, so a kit off eBay for $60 to $100 should be fine.

... Now in case you are curious, I bought my HID's from the eBay seller "SUNSTAR-HID". I in no way am sponsoring this guy, I'm just saying that this is who I bought off and have had no issues.

Brand wise, they are all basically the same. Don't fall for HID retrofit kits that are branded Bosch, Philips, Osram, simply because they are most likely just going to rip you off. If you wanted to buy a kit locally, chances are they are going to charge you at least $150, for a fancy looking kit that you can get off eBay for half the price. You're best buying online.

thanks for your quick reply mate :)

my main issue is installing.. im a pushbicycle mechanic but when it comes to auto and electric work.. :help:

are these kits hard to install or am i better off paying someone else to install them for me?

are these kits hard to install or am i better off paying someone else to install them for me?

Questions like these are usually hard to answer. Some things are always new for others and you never know if you can do it unless you try. For example, sera709 didn't think he could install his head unit by himself, but he gave it a go and was able to do it.

I would say the HID kit is between basic and intermediate to install. It's literally just plug and play. The hardest part is to find where to mount the ballast. That is all really. I guess you could obtain the kit, try to see if you may be able to fit it, and if not, find someone who can.

50 watt kits to bright that it will anonoy the driver in front or go for 35watt kit.

I wouldn't recommend 50 watt HID's because the 35 watt ones are already brighter than stock 55 watt halogens. And the change from the 35 watt HID's to the 50 watt HID's is close to an increase of 45% in brightness. Because they are in projectors, they aren't overly annoying to other drivers until they are in the beam of the light. Most dangerous is over the peak of a hill. It's up to you if you want to use them, but I would suggest against it as you have more chance of being spotted by a cop and getting defected for it.

I put 55W 8000K im mine. No one has flashed me so i guess noone cares.

I am using 35W and i already have a few car flashing at me in Sunnybank Brisbane, can't imagine myself going 55W... hahaha.. anyway before i install mine, Daryl advise me not to chose the 55W one..

50 watt kits to bright that it will anonoy the driver in front or go for 35watt kit.

I wouldn't recommend 50 watt HID's because the 35 watt ones are already brighter than stock 55 watt halogens. And the change from the 35 watt HID's to the 50 watt HID's is close to an increase of 45% in brightness. Because they are in projectors, they aren't overly annoying to other drivers until they are in the beam of the light. Most dangerous is over the peak of a hill. It's up to you if you want to use them, but I would suggest against it as you have more chance of being spotted by a cop and getting defected for it.

Yeah 2nd that, always when I come to a peak on a hill I always get flashed LoL

Ingre those ppl who flash you not coz of your headlights but more coz they like your car... lol

Hahah .. that is before i change anything to my car.. i think the people staying around us just like flashing.. hahaha

Ingre those ppl who flash you not coz of your headlights but more coz they like your car... lol

Hahah .. that is before i change anything to my car.. i think the people staying around us just like flashing.. hahaha

That's what i thought 35watts as 50watts would be too powerfull for city driving.

who knows might organise a group buy for digital ballasts if cheap enought :D

AUR30N

Because they are in projectors, they aren't overly annoying to other drivers until they are in the beam of the light. Most dangerous is over the peak of a hill. It's up to you if you want to use them, but I would suggest against it as you have more chance of being spotted by a cop and getting defected for it.

I hope these $60-$100 kits are indeed angled properly

often the road is not even narrow but its pretty bad (oncoming car with HID)

as for spotted by a cop it would be hard to be spotted if it was 4000k yeah?

I hope these $60-$100 kits are indeed angled properly

often the road is not even narrow but its pretty bad (oncoming car with HID)

as for spotted by a cop it would be hard to be spotted if it was 4000k yeah?

The aim usually comes down to your projector itself. The 'angle' of the HID lamp can make a difference (due to the lens focal point etc) but nearly al the lamps come out at the same spec. All these kits seem to have at least some standard they follow.

I would say 4000k would be more likely to be spotted by a cop than 6000k or 8000k mainly because the lower you go in colour temperature, the brighter the light gets. 5300k to 6000k would be the best colour temperature to aim for. Not too bright (still brighter than halogen anyways), and very clean looking light.

With projectors, it's much easier to get away with 8000k as well because when you look at them head on, depending on which angle you look at it, they look reasonably white and look no more blue than a proper HID headlight from Honda or BMW. Bear in mind though that 8000k doesn't work so well in the wet. This is why the 5300-6000k would be your best bet.

That's what i thought 35watts as 50watts would be too powerfull for city driving.

AUR30N

People can already buy them for cheap as off eBay, why would you need to organise a group buy?

As Daryl has said, if you have projector lenses go with 6000k. If you have reflectors, go with 4300k (both in 35w).

AUR30N

People can already buy them for cheap as off eBay, why would you need to organise a group buy?

As Daryl has said, if you have projector lenses go with 6000k. If you have reflectors, go with 4300k (both in 35w).

That what was getting 6000k @ 35watts.

yes you can get cheap analog was going for the digital what kills you is the postage.

my target is to try get them for 430 to $40 landed in oz

AUR30N

yes you can get cheap analog was going for the digital what kills you is the postage.

When it comes to arc lamp ballasts, you don't have a case of analogue and digital. Anyone trying to market it as such is just using the terms to try and get themselves more sales. Any form of DC inverter is technically a digital circuit, so they can't use this to say that their new ballasts are better than the last. I'm guessing that because HID kits are so cheap to manufacture now and many are being sold cheap, they are trying to find ways to charge people more.

A HID lamp is an arc lamp which is driven by approximately 200v. Because your car operates at 12v, you need a ballast to step up the voltage to these high amounts. You have two forms of ballasts that can drive these; traditional iron-core, and switch-mode. All automotive HID's are driven by a switch-mode ballast with a couple of extras (20,000v ignition, etc).

To imagine the difference in technology, think of 240v plug packs. You have either that chunky wall brick which is heavy (iron-core transformer), or the new switch-mode supplies that are tiny and light weight.

Now most of the HID ballasts out there are of a cigarette pack size. Due to developments in IC's and such, they have now been able to make these ballasts much slimmer. People are marketing these as 'digital'. Don't be fooled though because inside they consist of the same basic electronics, just more miniaturised. If you've noticed lately, switch-mode supplies are getting smaller as well (phone chargers are a good example), so it's not really anything fancy.

couldn't wait bought a set of hid 35watts 6000k & installed them

AUR30N

hey mate, how did you end up mounting the ballasts?any chance of some pictures of the mounting? and what are your thoughts on the kit?

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I know this sound stupid but i have no clue which HiD would be fit

I already made a research but there was lot of suggestion! H11, H4 ....

Can any1 let me know and the price of it? Im looking for around 50-80$ and however my aurion missing the litle square cover next to front number plate aswell! Can anyone find me that park on ebay and link me?

Thank alot :clap: